Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

She's not a Mutant just tumblr fanservice that a writer made entertaining for a few issues and lame after

I read a little and I didn't notice any tumblr fanservice. Seemed like a pretty cool comic actually. But anyway, she's an Inhuman and I don't know much about them but aren't they like, basically mutants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Applewhite posted:

When I was a teen, I was firmly in the "you can't regulate people's bodies, man! Fight the power!" but as I've gotten older I've come to realize that keeping tabs on people with the ability to shoot beams out of their eyes or acid from their fingers is actually a good idea. Mutant registration is in the best interest of all involved, and will protect mutants as much as it protects the average citizen.

Write to your congressman and tell him to vote "yes" on the Mutant Registration Act.

Pretty much.

Additionally, I remember reading Avengers vs. X-Men and rolling my eyes at Cyclops' journey to crazy town ever being suggested as a legitimate stance. For starters, what right did he have to try to unilaterally activate the dormant x-genes of millions of people without their consent? Furthermore he completely failed to take into account that a lot of mutants not only don't want their powers, and see them as a curse, but end up hurting the ones they love when their powers are first activated. He just acted as if the 14 year old kid who suddenly starts vomiting fire at the dinner and inadvertently burns his own house down with his family in it, is going to thank him. Yeah, Cyclops, I just gave my girlfriend terminal cancer because without asking me, you decided to activate my super awesome ability to give toxic doses of radiation to anything I touch. Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 19, 2016

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Timmy can just use his "WHEELCHAIR TRANSFORMATION POWER"

What would the hero's name be for that? It was honest to god in the cartoon. All I can think of is "Wheels".

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Bitter fly posted:

Timmy can just use his "WHEELCHAIR TRANSFORMATION POWER"

What would the hero's name be for that? It was honest to god in the cartoon. All I can think of is "Wheels".

what does it transform into?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Ghost Head posted:

I read a little and I didn't notice any tumblr fanservice. Seemed like a pretty cool comic actually. But anyway, she's an Inhuman and I don't know much about them but aren't they like, basically mutants?

No Inhumans are very different from mutants. If, for example, you sold away your rights to make movies about mutants, any inhuman characters would certainly not be covered by such a deal because of how different they are from mutants.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Mutant registration isn't really about registering people with dangerous and potentially deadly abilities, and it's disingenuous to suggest that it is. It is intolerance and fear-mongering, plain and simple. Under the mutant registration act, some guy with flippers for hands and no water powers would have to sign away his privacy because he's a mutant and "scary". Meanwhile, some rear end in a top hat who can melt steel with his dick is exempt if he can prove he got those powers from an industrial accident.

I guess what I'm saying is, I support Iron Man.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Aralan posted:

No Inhumans are very different from mutants. If, for example, you sold away your rights to make movies about mutants, any inhuman characters would certainly not be covered by such a deal because of how different they are from mutants.

what sort of hosed up deal did they do that fox and sony will have xmen and spidey by the balls effectively forever

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Do the people that get bad mutations have to register like cancer patients?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe not all mutants throw cars around, killing bystanders, but everyone who does is a mutant. Mutant registration is just common sense.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

rudatron posted:

Maybe not all mutants throw cars around, killing bystanders, but everyone who does is a mutant. Mutant registration is just common sense.

Last time I saw someone use that line they tried to support it with pictures from the latest HULK rampage.

It's not true, no matter how many times you repeat it.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

safetyStanddown posted:

This mutant registration debate already exists irl, and it's called nuclear weapon proliferation.

TFTFY

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
This scenario where mutant registration helps the authorities prevent a mutant rampage is a complete fantasy.

Most super-powered rampages are perpetrated by non-mutants.

When mutants are involved, it's almost always known outlaws and vigilantes who happen to be mutants. Mutants that have a history of this stuff. They're not going to register, and they should already be on several watch-lists, not because they are mutants but because they are criminals. Forcing law-abiding mutants to register is not going to do anything to deter those repeat offenders. Of all the different kinds of superpowered individuals out there, mutants are one of the least likely to maintain a secret identity.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Except irl countries are rogue nations before they have nukes and respected world citizens after they get them.

USA is... Magneto?

e. I dunno. Something feels off with this analogy

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 19, 2016

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Of all the different kinds of superpowered individuals out there, mutants are one of the least likely to maintain a secret identity.

Sure, because of poor impulse control and mental instability. Super powered human are exactly that. Human. Mutants are twisted deviant abominations who are a vulgar caricature of natural order. Their sole purpose is to soil pure human women in their lust crazed madness to pollute the planet with more of their kind, like some metastasizing global cancer. The kind of capitulation you preach leads me to suspect you are either one of them, under their direct influence, or are a simple traitor to humanity. In any case, your time to get up against the wall will come soon enough.

Trump 2016.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Shaquin posted:

what sort of hosed up deal did they do that fox and sony will have xmen and spidey by the balls effectively forever

The type that involved so much money that it kept them afloat until Disney bought then.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

DeepQantas posted:

Except irl countries are rogue nations before they have nukes and respected world citizens after they get them.

USA is... Magneto?

e. I dunno. Something feels off with this analogy

It's flawed but better than gun control because of the power differential

But still, comics overlook the true consequences of mutant births the same way D&D overlooks the effects of Create Food and Water and Iron Wall spells on the economy, because they don't make for good light escapist stories.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There is an alright online serial called "Worm" about this. TLDR: poo poo gets hosed up and registration programs are horribly corrupt as expected, but still do some good sort of.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

a happy snowman posted:

But still, comics overlook the true consequences of mutant births the same way D&D overlooks the effects of Create Food and Water and Iron Wall spells on the economy, because they don't make for good light escapist stories.

God damned Clerics putting the honest hard working bakers and plumbers out of a job.

gently caress your god!

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

This scenario where mutant registration helps the authorities prevent a mutant rampage is a complete fantasy.

Most super-powered rampages are perpetrated by non-mutants.

When mutants are involved, it's almost always known outlaws and vigilantes who happen to be mutants. Mutants that have a history of this stuff. They're not going to register, and they should already be on several watch-lists, not because they are mutants but because they are criminals. Forcing law-abiding mutants to register is not going to do anything to deter those repeat offenders. Of all the different kinds of superpowered individuals out there, mutants are one of the least likely to maintain a secret identity.

But this isn't the point of a registry. While often billed to the public as crime prevention the registry is mostly an answer to disturbing trends in mutant health and safety! Did you know that mutants are more than thirty times more likely than the average child or young adult to run away from home? And more than fifty times as likely to be abducted? What's worse is that those that prey on young and vulnerable mutants often lead them either into a life of crime, or indoctrinate them and train them as child soldiers. Several active "mutant rights" groups are nothing but fronts for people like "professor" Xavier to commit the worst and widest ranging crimes against mutants! Mutants need special protection above and beyond what normal law enforcement can provide, and specialized medical and psychological services. The first step in getting them those services is knowing who needs them.

Of course the registry would also keep members of the general public safe as well, right now emergency response services could attempt to provide aid to someone like Scott Summers and endanger themselves and those around them if they naively removed his glasses to check him for responsiveness. If he had a bracelet, similar to what diabetics or people with pacemakers wear, or some other easily checkable article of clothing that quickly explained how to safely render aid to someone with his mutation it could save peoples lives.

The best way to stop mutant crime is to provide more help to this at risk group, but they need to be identified first. Genetic screening and a registry are the best we can do, we know that groups like the 'x'-men and the brotherhood of mutants have ways of finding and targeting mutants, even those whose mutations are not yet fully manifested or physically obvious. If we want to stop the exploitation of mutants and curb mutant crime, we need to catch up with the methods that those who prey on mutants are already using.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

akulanization posted:

But this isn't the point of a registry. While often billed to the public as crime prevention the registry is mostly an answer to disturbing trends in mutant health and safety! Did you know that mutants are more than thirty times more likely than the average child or young adult to run away from home? And more than fifty times as likely to be abducted? What's worse is that those that prey on young and vulnerable mutants often lead them either into a life of crime, or indoctrinate them and train them as child soldiers. Several active "mutant rights" groups are nothing but fronts for people like "professor" Xavier to commit the worst and widest ranging crimes against mutants! Mutants need special protection above and beyond what normal law enforcement can provide, and specialized medical and psychological services. The first step in getting them those services is knowing who needs them.

Of course the registry would also keep members of the general public safe as well, right now emergency response services could attempt to provide aid to someone like Scott Summers and endanger themselves and those around them if they naively removed his glasses to check him for responsiveness. If he had a bracelet, similar to what diabetics or people with pacemakers wear, or some other easily checkable article of clothing that quickly explained how to safely render aid to someone with his mutation it could save peoples lives.

The best way to stop mutant crime is to provide more help to this at risk group, but they need to be identified first. Genetic screening and a registry are the best we can do, we know that groups like the 'x'-men and the brotherhood of mutants have ways of finding and targeting mutants, even those whose mutations are not yet fully manifested or physically obvious. If we want to stop the exploitation of mutants and curb mutant crime, we need to catch up with the methods that those who prey on mutants are already using.

*Starts slow clapping*
*rest of audience follows suit, rising to crescendo in a standing ovation*

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I personally worry about the dangers posed by dementia and Alzheimer's Disease on the mutant population. It is serious enough when the elderly suffer from declining cognitive functions, but mutants present a wholly unique threat to society at large. Disorientation, mood swings, and memory loss can lead dementia sufferers to engage in reckless and dangerous activities that make them threats to themselves and the people around them. Superpowers only amplify that threat and present new, more difficult challenges to affected families and loved ones. It is only a matter of time before Professor X starts blasting half-remembered infomercials into the brains of everyone in his assisted living facility.

As the mutant population ages, it is important for society to take pro-active steps to avoid unnecessary loss of life.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Say what you want about tolerance and coexistence,, but would you let your daughter bring one home?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

a happy snowman posted:

Hiring a fifth level cleric to create bland food that spoils in a day doesn't seem like a very economical choice.

With Wall of Iron you can create 2160gp worth of iron per day. However, since it's not in easily portable form it doesn't qualify as trade good until you figure out a way to cut it.

As an 11th level wizard, with Shatter you could smash 120 pounds of iron per cast. That nets you 12gp.

However looking at hired wizard prices a similar spell costs 220gp. This method simply isn't worth a wizard's time. (The original Wall of Iron spell also costs 660gp plus 50gp for materials)

With Fabricate you could make an 11 cubic feet statue or something. Weighing at around 5400lb the statue is worth 540gp (Fabricate doesn't let you make items more valuable than materials). However it still isn't a trade good so you can only sell it for 270gp. Fabricate costs 550gp for a hired wizard, so again not worth your time.

I might have missed some obvious low level cutting or metal shaping spell.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DeepQantas posted:

Hiring a fifth level cleric to create bland food that spoils in a day doesn't seem like a very economical choice.

With Wall of Iron you can create 2160gp worth of iron per day. However, since it's not in easily portable form it doesn't qualify as trade good until you figure out a way to cut it.

As an 11th level wizard, with Shatter you could smash 120 pounds of iron per cast. That nets you 12gp.

However looking at hired wizard prices a similar spell costs 220gp. This method simply isn't worth a wizard's time. (The original Wall of Iron spell also costs 660gp plus 50gp for materials)

With Fabricate you could make an 11 cubic feet statue or something. Weighing at around 5400lb the statue is worth 540gp (Fabricate doesn't let you make items more valuable than materials). However it still isn't a trade good so you can only sell it for 270gp. Fabricate costs 550gp for a hired wizard, so again not worth your time.

You see this ladies? I bet your undies feel like they just had grease cast on them

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I think if it comes to clerics stealing jobs from hardworking bakers and farmers, we should worry a lot more about sick fucks that create vast underground tunnels and mazes, just several feet in width, and fill them with not only deadly resetting traps but also treasure. What the gently caress?!?

And don't even get me started on Owlbears, magical genetic modification is against nature.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

It might make for a fun Discworld style factory management campaign with labor disputes, rival steel mills, demands from local nobles, saboteurs, wizard's guild disapproving mundane use of magic...

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

What do you mean I have to pay skeletons a fair wage? They're dead!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

DeepQantas posted:

It might make for a fun Discworld style factory management campaign with labor disputes, rival steel mills, demands from local nobles, saboteurs, wizard's guild disapproving mundane use of magic...

In my youthful years I wrote a very bad short story for class about wizard copyright disputes on spells and accidentally rizen zombies stealing our jerbs.

Just a few reasonably talented necromancers should be able to create a post-industrial society where all the labour is done by the dead and people are free to gently caress around all day.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeepQantas posted:

thats what undead and/or mind controlled slaves are for? jeez, its like you dont even know how to play a wizard

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
nerds are the loving worst

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

If only there was a wizard that had complete control over metals. Some sort of... Magneturg.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

DeepQantas posted:

Dude I was scaring off girls with geekier poo poo before you were born.

I'm old and getting laid now so I'm not really up on my meta, but gently caress, just try grasping the concept and apply it until you see what I'm talking about instead of sperging on the specifics in an effort to prove your nerdling manhood it by debunking a slightly imperfect example.

I mean, c'mon - if you want to get old school, we were debating how that Mattock of the Titans, that one ever-full flask of water, and one mid-level druid would wreck all known patterns of civilization in the back of loving Dragon before it was color. This is not new.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Rutibex posted:

thats what undead and/or mind controlled slaves are for? jeez, its like you dont even know how to play a wizard

You... you get me.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The biggest shame for me are not just the mutants themselves, engaging in fantasies, but the ordinary people who enable them, who encourage them by playing into their delusions. Sometimes they even enter long term relationships with the mutants, without fully understanding the dangers posed by unaccountable and unregistered mutants. Mutant registration is a must at this point, but frankly it's not enough - we need to educate everyone about the appropriate, responsible responses to these individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

a happy snowman posted:

Dude I was scaring off girls with geekier poo poo before you were born.

I'm old and getting laid now so I'm not really up on my meta, but gently caress, just try grasping the concept and apply it until you see what I'm talking about instead of sperging on the specifics in an effort to prove your nerdling manhood it by debunking a slightly imperfect example.

I mean, c'mon - if you want to get old school, we were debating how that Mattock of the Titans, that one ever-full flask of water, and one mid-level druid would wreck all known patterns of civilization in the back of loving Dragon before it was color. This is not new.
Chill. I didn't mean nothing, just crunching numbers for fun.

e.
Reading back I should prolly clarify, earlier I meant that my Magneto analogy was flawed, not your nuclear weapons one.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 20, 2016

• Locked thread