Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How do people play video games for charity?

I don't get it. How does the charity get money? If you want to support a charity, wouldn't doing just about anything other than playing video games probably be more helpful?

It seems like these concerns stream themselves playing video games, often over an entire weekend. I get that part. Then something happens. And then their charity of choice gets money?
:confused: or maybe :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I need 8000 dollars

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Isaac posted:

I need 8000 dollars

$8000 USD or AUD?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Isaac posted:

I need 8000 dollars

The Burning Question of Our Time

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
how do i get rid of this burning i got from ops mom

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

kill the animals, greetings from Germany

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Isaac posted:

I need 8000 dollars

dont fund this guy, i need only a small sum of a thousand dollar

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
thats actually a stupid question, dingbat, that i hate

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't get it. How does the charity get money? If you want to support a charity, wouldn't doing just about anything other than playing video games probably be more helpful?

It seems like these concerns stream themselves playing video games, often over an entire weekend. I get that part. Then something happens. And then their charity of choice gets money?

Video game charity streams are the modern day equivalent of telethons, I hope this information serves you well.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
id settle for 20 buckd

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Same way people run for charity, OP. I hope this helps.

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009
like the minor celebrities on twitch or YouTube who have partnerships and ad deals n' poo poo and draw tons of people's attention? p obvious how it works

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

they try to convince the viewers to donate as a thanks for the stream

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
What shall it benefit a man if he gaineth the world as loseth his gil?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

A Strange Aeon posted:

boobs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I guess the real question is "are there really that many people out there with money to burn who just watch others play video games?"

How do they live?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Same way people run for charity, OP. I hope this helps.

How do these kids walking help anything? I just don't understand.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
$20 from bonerfart, he says 'hype! Put this $20 toward kicking cancer in the butt....and killing the animals. This is near and dear to my heart because my mom got megacancer....greetings from germany'

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

The Sphinxster posted:

How do these kids walking help anything? I just don't understand.
Each walker's registration fees go towards the event & the charity, at least, and they get a sticker / ribbon / wristband to prove they were there and were apart of the event. Plus, y'know, they went outside for a walk!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ork of Fiction posted:

$8000 USD or AUD?

Either is okay

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i donated 1000 gp to Bernie and a vanq katana

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Do you mean donating to guys who play video games for the entertainment of others, or events like the one where a bunch of people get together and try to beat Desert Bus or whatever to raise money for lower lip cancer research or some poo poo?

In one case, you are rewarding someone for entertaining you, much like throwing coins into the guitar case of a busker. In the other, it is a silly gimmick to help raise money for a cause.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Isaac posted:

I need 8000 dollars

Set up a twitch channel for people to watch you 1) pet goats 2) make moonshine and 3) play roguelikes.

It would be more unique and interesting than you think.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Set up a twitch channel for people to watch you 1) pet goats 2) make moonshine and 3) play roguelikes.

It would be more unique and interesting than you think.

I dont think i got enough upload to do anything live. I dont know if twitch is live actually i dont know anything about it.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
la flexin'

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

A Strange Aeon posted:

Literally the same way anyone does anything outside of direct volunteering for charity? You raise money and give that money to charity, how could you possibly be confused by this?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Lucky Guy posted:

boobs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hell, couldn't make it worse

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ArbitraryC posted:

Literally the same way anyone does anything outside of direct volunteering for charity? You raise money and give that money to charity, how could you possibly be confused by this?

Who are you raising money from?

When people pledge for someone to run in a marathon or whatever, the runner is making some kind of sacrifice of energy and time for the cause they care about, right?

How is playing video games the same thing at all? Video games are the thing you do when you have no better way to spend your time. And millions and millions of people play video games, at any given time you could watch people play video games for free, so I still don't understand who is pledging support for people to play computer games, which those people would be doing anyway, unlike running a race which requires training and physical exertion.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

do u have to have sex w every woman that asks once ur sufficiently good at the devil sticks?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

A Strange Aeon posted:

When people pledge for someone to run in a marathon or whatever, the runner is making some kind of sacrifice of energy and time for the cause they care about, right?

How is playing video games the same thing at all? Video games are the thing you do when you have no better way to spend your time. And millions and millions of people play video games, at any given time you could watch people play video games for free, so I still don't understand who is pledging support for people to play computer games, which those people would be doing anyway, unlike running a race which requires training and physical exertion.

Some people like to run. Quite a few, actually. In fact, I'd go so far as to wager that the number of people that consider it a sacrifice to run for charity and actually do run for charity would make a very small conjunction on a Venn diagram.

So, playing video games for charity is exactly like running for charity in that the effort spent is in no way applied directly towards the charity itself, and is typically done by one who would normally undertake that effort out of enjoyment. Whereas to pledge to a runner doesn't typically require you to actually watch the running event, but streaming for charity requires that there is at least typically the interaction of donating while the person is playing. In fact, you could go so far as to say that donating to charity via watching a streamer puts the donator closer to the charity than just blithely saying, "Yeah, put me down for :tenbux: and have fun either pretending it's a marathon or not even pretending that and just walking with all the fat loving middle-aged secretaries that got roped into doing that stupid run."

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I pledge for sex workers. I have sex with them then pay them and tell them to please give it to their favorite charity, then the undercover cop is all like "drat, you got me, good one."

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my neighbor logged 60 hours in games on steam alone this week. that doesn't include non steam games he's usually on

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

you're really loving dumb if you aren't getting this

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

burning question of our time: where did this vd come from

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

A Strange Aeon posted:

You could also walk to the park and see people jogging whenever you want for free. There is nothing inherently fundraising related about running its just something people organize events around to get others to pledge money to be given to charities. Most fundraisers work this way, people who enjoy doing thing make an event for people who enjoy watching thing and ask viewers for donations to a charity.

awesome games done quick raised like $1,576,085.00 for cancer related charities last year.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

What's the deal with the burning sensation you get when you go to take a piss?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doc Friday posted:

What's the deal with the burning sensation you get when you go to take a piss?

The chinese consider this to bring good luck

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thank you for all the answers--I think I understand now.

I only regret I squandered such a great click-bait thread title.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Isaac posted:

they also thing tiger penis will make your own penis better which is 100% accurate but good luck getting that across in a world run by big tiger or bigger tigger as as i call them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Isaac posted:

You don't know how much grief you saved me from, my friend!

• Locked thread