Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
I loved this movie because it's about murder with a surprise twist. There that's the last time I'll be real I promise. I'll probably watch it a second time at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

That's...does that dude cut thick sheets of steel with his jaws for a day job? That's a very clean decapitation, considering the angle and the toothy maw involved. poo poo didn't even tear, just a clean fuckin cut.

Well, the Parasites have pretty superhuman abilities. This happens early in the series, during the "mincemeat murders" phase when the Parasites are feeding and disposing of next of kin, learning about their abilities of their host body and stretching out before moving into infiltrating society. And yeah, they can cut through steel, part of their offense is unspiraling their head and using it like a bladed whip. The interesting bit is that the scene has been done in between the original comic, the cartoon, and the live-action. The live-action looks like PG-13 rated violence, where it's a balance of being both graphic and bloodless. I'm not sure if that's part of using CG effects or some product of the Japanese rating system.

The manga, it's pretty creepy but off-putting. More weird than horrific.

In the anime, the scene is part of a cold opening and is a lot more visceral. It also doesn't have the tension diffusion of the outside world laughing obviously.

Also, Parasyte is pretty much loaded with homages to the John Carpenter The Thing. First actual adversary that the hero fights is a parasite-infected dog...

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Parasyte is so weird because half the time it's a goofy ramp with alien hand boy and the other half is people being decapitatated or julienned.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Young Freud posted:

Well, the Parasites have pretty superhuman abilities. This happens early in the series, during the "mincemeat murders" phase when the Parasites are feeding and disposing of next of kin, learning about their abilities of their host body and stretching out before moving into infiltrating society. And yeah, they can cut through steel, part of their offense is unspiraling their head and using it like a bladed whip. The interesting bit is that the scene has been done in between the original comic, the cartoon, and the live-action. The live-action looks like PG-13 rated violence, where it's a balance of being both graphic and bloodless. I'm not sure if that's part of using CG effects or some product of the Japanese rating system.

The manga, it's pretty creepy but off-putting. More weird than horrific.

In the anime, the scene is part of a cold opening and is a lot more visceral. It also doesn't have the tension diffusion of the outside world laughing obviously.

Also, Parasyte is pretty much loaded with homages to the John Carpenter The Thing. First actual adversary that the hero fights is a parasite-infected dog...

I know everyone likes to be "lol anime is poo poo", but I love 'The Thing' and if this anime is basically 'The Thing' with the serial numbers filed off, then that sounds like something I could get into. Is it worth watching? Is there any place to stream it? I see the bluray set is like $40 on Amazon, I'm not really up for blind-buying something that expensive unless I'm absolutely sure it's loving great.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Glass Joe posted:

Parasyte is so weird because half the time it's a goofy ramp with alien hand boy and the other half is people being decapitatated or julienned.

That seems to be the case with a lot of anime aimed at teenage boys.

PlanetES is another good example-- half of it is some of the best hardcore sci-fi you have ever seen committed to a moving picture format with a super-interesting premise and world; the other half is literally "I want to please Senpai wahhhhh wacky music on the moon" bullshit. The dissonance is like oil and water and completely fucks up the show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Xenomrph posted:

I know everyone likes to be "lol anime is poo poo", but I love 'The Thing' and if this anime is basically 'The Thing' with the serial numbers filed off, then that sounds like something I could get into. Is it worth watching? Is there any place to stream it? I see the bluray set is like $40 on Amazon, I'm not really up for blind-buying something that expensive unless I'm absolutely sure it's loving great.

I think you can just watch the cartoon on crunchyroll.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Might have oversold it but yeah, it's still very visceral and body horror mixed with high-school superheroics. Basically, the hero himself becomes infected with one of the Parasites, but it fails to reach his brain to take control of him and remains stuck in his arm. As a result, he's and the Parasite are a failure that are instinctively marked for termination by the other Parasites, but, because they love living, they work as a team to defeat them and find out what's going on. The comment from Glass Joe is pretty apt. There's a lot of goofy high school poo poo and comedy like the one Parasite who got stuck in one guy's jaw, but pretty much about midway through the series, the high school stuff no longer matters due to some heavy poo poo unfolding and the last half gets particularly brutal. It's definitely something you'd want to watch before dropping :20bux::20bux: on it.

Acne Rain posted:

I think you can just watch the cartoon on crunchyroll.

It maybe still be on Hulu as well.

It's been on Adult Swim's Toonami line-up for a year now and last I checked, it looks comes on at 2:30 AM, largely unedited. I don't know where in the rotation it is, it's only 24 episodes long. However, I'd recommend going off a stream site like Crunchyroll.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Glass Joe posted:

My favorite episode is the one with the goon who is like the hero where his parasite took over his neck instead of his hand

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Turns out you idiots were all wrong and BvS is actually full of WINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5S7rjUbC14

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
1. it's not five hours long

2. you can leave in the middle if you want to

3. ???

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mozi posted:

1. it's not five hours long

2. you can leave in the middle if you want to

3. ???

4. It was good to see the cave troll from the Mines of Moria get another acting gig, even if the CGI they used on him was pretty hokey.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

4. It was good to see the cave troll from the Mines of Moria get another acting gig, even if the CGI they used on him was pretty hokey.

Please do not cave troll shame.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

6. I did not nor did any of my family members receive cancer from this motion picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Xenomrph posted:

I've been giving serious thought to doing an effort-thread about the Carpenter movie (and the prequel) just because I love the Carpenter movie to death. I'm not sure if I'm better off posting it in CineD or GBS though. Like, I don't want the thread to be clogged with fart-sniffing Zizek metatextual bullshit, but I also don't want it to be non-stop threadshitting and/or just an endless chorus of people high-fiving each other over how awesome the Carpenter movie is and nothing more.

I'd love this and I'd say post it here. If a thread is good and about a good thing then GBS is pretty great because you avoid the hardcore fanwankery and people tend to push out the threadshitters fairly early.

I've always thought you could cut the nails of those who you thought were infected by a thing or cut their hair because those are just dead cells in a normal person, but a thing would have to try and replicate the dead cells (much like blood would be "dead" after you draw it) but trimming toenails isn't as tense, I guess.

Oh, also BvS was poo poo.

• Locked thread