Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to pop a bubble yo but working for Google in SF is a waste of time because the city eats your rent and the first chance they get you're offered an exciting opportunity to move to Sioux Falls, South Dakota and waste the rest of your life giving birth to people who, like you, will live and die in a call center.

https://backchannel.com/those-entry-level-startup-jobs-they-re-now-mostly-dead-ends-in-the-boondocks-af3b4066f5dd#.absfvt735%5C

My favorite part is when Lyfy/Google/Uber/Yelp open a call center in hoo-balley-NoWhere the local mayor can't help but crow that 'Silicon Valley is coming to save us from our own mediocrity with an exciting phone banking opportunity'

quote:

And there are constant reminders writings on the wall that they were the company’s bottom-of-the-barrel staffers, priority-wise, even beyond their low salaries. At Lyft, entry-level customer service reps didn’t get stock options. On weekends, the company sometimes forgot to refill snacks until a manager made a fuss about it. There was no catered lunch on weekends or Thanksgiving, when a manager went to buy pies at Whole Foods as a consolation prize. To promote team cohesion, engineers would get treated to an all-day trip to the go-kart track. Bonding on the customer support team meant ordering pizza after hours in a nearby park. They know this isn’t exactly boohoo territory — this isn’t Talia eating only rice — but relative to the other employees, “You’re like scraping by doing the shittiest job at this company and constantly being marginalized,” says one of the former reps. “There was a lot of stratification with regards to compensation.”

An MBA would tell you that only makes sense. Customer service mostly requires an ever-cheery personality, a good work ethic, and basic computer skills — not a CS degree, and really, not even college, though startups are certainly selecting places with eager college grads. A manager at Salesforce’s San Francisco office sizes up the tech industry’s attitude towards customer service: “‘How do we make this cost less?’ Every support case can cost up to $30 for them. You cost them a lot of money and don’t bring in a lot of revenue.” Still, “They can’t run the company without you.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
deece sixfiggies hoverwaif catte failfox internet exploder

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
im reading this on webTV

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

quote:

this isn’t Talia eating only rice
lol, talia wasn't talia eating only rice either. Also lol at customer support people whining about their jobs. If you don't want to kill yourself by the end of your shift it's probably in the top 10% of customer service jobs

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
gently caress tech companies gently caress millennials gently caress you

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
can you faX ME A copy of ThiS ThrEAD?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Revenant posted:

gently caress tech companies gently caress millennials gently caress you

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
id rather lay pavers for the rest of my life than work in a call center again. dadburn kids unwilling to get their hands dirty

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You expect me to read an awful lot to understand your retarded op.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at jobs that ask for a bachelor's for a job answering phones

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

who the gently caress cares about working for tech companies, that poo poo is for people who poo poo on the streets

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

The Brown Menace posted:

who the gently caress cares about working for tech companies, that poo poo is for people who poo poo on the streets

you mean indians?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
"Thank you sir I would be more than happy to assist you with your street making GBS threads in the most timely possible manner."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
thanks i finally know what to call my life's work

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

smh. if you work where the *real* decisions are made, phones aren't even allowed

you gotta strip naked at the entrance and they check your anus and tear ducts for microfilm cameras

you think the one world government is gonna let you sneak out a copy of their plans for the global thought control quantum antennas by tattooing them on the inside of your eyelids with a sharpened fingernail and the ink tube from a bic pen?! I can tell you from experience: THINK AGAIN, BOY-O!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
[quote="Hogge Wild" post="457906456"]
deece sixfiggies hoverwaif catte failfox internet exploder
[/quote

way to channel the spirit of yospos

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
no catered lunch on weekends???

gently caress this poo poo im out!

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
You're bitchmade if you work on weekends at a loving office job lmao.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I invented a new greeting gesture. I call it a "low two" it consists of pulling your nuts out of your pants and slapping them against another set of nuts. sadly, it can only be performed by two men and only in warmer temperatures. I guess it is most suitable as a replacement for the fist bump.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

that article is long and stupid

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

that article is long and stupid

Sounds like my last boyfriend heyooooo

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Cheeto posted:

Sounds like my last boyfriend heyooooo

:vince:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HollywoodDialysis posted:

Sorry to pop a bubble yo but working for Google in SF is a waste of time because the city eats your rent and the first chance they get you're offered an exciting opportunity to move to Sioux Falls, South Dakota and waste the rest of your life giving birth to people who, like you, will live and die in a call center.

https://backchannel.com/those-entry-level-startup-jobs-they-re-now-mostly-dead-ends-in-the-boondocks-af3b4066f5dd#.absfvt735%5C

My favorite part is when Lyfy/Google/Uber/Yelp open a call center in hoo-balley-NoWhere the local mayor can't help but crow that 'Silicon Valley is coming to save us from our own mediocrity with an exciting phone banking opportunity'

sorry you work in a call center. That must be horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

sorry you work in a call center. That must be horrible

• Locked thread