Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

There will also be a class reset event in June to coincide with the combat overhaul / mechanics change, so if you mess up your class circles you can change them once a day everyday during the event.

Scout was mentioned above, but they are one of the classes that will be more affected by the combat overhaul. Right now it's a good class for farming because of split arrows in c3. However with the combat change, it will go from 0 cooldown spammable skill to a 10 second cooldown and 5 overheat(charges). (All skills that are currently 0 cooldown will be getting changed like this)

Rogues are not really a ranged class. Feint stuff to turn them away from you, pop your crit buff for attacking targets from the back and use your melee / copied ability.

Sappers are AOE focused with broom trap. It's pretty good as it does a lot of hits. A decent filler class but you need at least 2 circles to get broom trap.

Appraisers are kinda poo poo for combat. They have 1 combat skill and the crit debuff isn't even that powerful.

Hackapels are also getting changed with the combat overhaul. Right now any missile attacks they use stack a debuff up to 5 times on the enemy to reduce physical defense by 10% each stack. This will go away in the upgrade. The trade off is that their current melee skills that got boosted by that debuff are getting really buffed so they will do good melee damage.

Musketeers are for big crits on single targets. A good pick if you want to pvp or just want to see big numbers. C1 is all you need because C2 kinda sucks.

Cannoneers are great for single target damage and aoe. Musketeers used to be better at single target, but Cannoneers got some buffs so they are just flat out better in every way now.

e: combat changes coming so things will change. maybe musketeer ends up being king poo poo of single target dps mountain again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Note that when some properties of classes are mentioned, they might come from skill attributes that you buy from a respective class master NPC's shop, rather than your own skill menu. That's the case with Archer 2's Swift Step Critical Rate attribute Tsuru mentioned.

Archer 2 also has the option of taking Kneeling Shot, which is a stance that roots you in place and limits you to autoattacking, but increases your range and attack speed. This makes it a skill often used with builds including Quarrel Shooter 3 to make you a bow turret. Also, forget what I said about Kneeling Shot limiting you to autoattacking because Cannoneers and Musketeers can use some skills while kneeling.

If you take any Quarrel Shooter at all you really must commit to going all the way to Quarrel Shooter 3, because Running Shot doesn't appear until then and you're otherwise stuck with just a few situational utility/CC skills. Running Shot is a buff turns your autoattacks into super autoattacks that squish mobs in a few seconds (but only one at a time) for much of midgame, all the while letting you move freely at your normal speed.

Silento and A Fist Angrily can answer many more questions about Sappers but they use a few gadgets to do a nice amount of damage as long as they can get them to tick down to their full effect. Collar Bomb makes big numbers as does Broom Trap for a lot of crowd clearing.

Rogue is about Backstab and making it crit from behind. They gain access to a second Evasion buff (Archer has one) and Lachrymator is a really good area CC on groups. There are some fun shenanigans you can pull with a party when you Capture magic circles (including lingering AoE damage) that you and the party can stack together. Under-used class due to needing to get close to things to be effective.

Fletcher's Magic Arrow is the class's most important skill FYI, because its number of damage ticks scales with skill points

Words about Schwarzer Reiter: it's another class that lets you do damage while moving at the same time. If you take it you will end up upgrading your subweapon pistol a lot, because that's what its damage is based on. Limacon enables you to move and shoot with a slight amount of scaling damage with more skill point investment. Bread and butter for SR though comes from its two channeling skills, Retreat Shot and Marching Fire. Even though Retreat Shot is annoying to use because you have to actively be moving away from your cone of fire, it's important because it selects a fixed number of targets in the cone rather than dealing with the game's innate AoE Attack/Defense bullshit. Marching Fire is easier to use, as you don't even need to be moving (but you can be!), just facing the things you want to hit.

Falconer-3s may end up being very important support builds, because of the Circling Expand attribute now competing with (Wizard) Linker's Joint Penalty and certain things about Linker getting made less overpowered in recent times/soon.

Cannoneer: If you ever wanted to be an AoE nuke Wizard you should make your element of choice Explosions and take Cannoneer instead. Their burst damage was greatly increased in recent months and they are the Archer class that can attack from practically a screen away with Bazooka stance.

Musketeers are like Cannoneers but your element of choice becomes Assault Rifle. Actually has a melee skill combo that then increases gun damage. e: above poster covered effectiveness so i guess you can still take the class if you want to shoot two-handed muskets for flavor

Hackapell is also only available at R8 and is the other mounted archer in the game. It has a class mechanic where you stack embedded arrows in a target for a big increase in damage to its two melee skills. With an attribute, you can sprint like a Swordsman while mounted!

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 5, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

In the era of Linkers getting hosed I am extremely excited for my Wugu-Falconer. :getin:

e: Is Rogue/Hackapell a thing because they both like to be close? I feel like it was mentioned in discord but I don't see it.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 5, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tsurupettan posted:

e: Is Rogue/Hackapell a thing because they both like to be close? I feel like it was mentioned in discord but I don't see it.

Feint dismounts you

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Theorycrafters thought it would work because of Backstab but getting on a mount limits you to 3 Rogue skills out of 8

It's great that the Archer branch lets you mix and match a lot of useful skills, but this becomes a problem when it's not clear which can be use while mounted

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Thanks for the :words: about archers. I think I'm going to go with the Schwarzer Reiter, because Hawkeye is lame, but chocobo riding gunslingers are awesome.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
For an account's first character it's always a long road to level 177, but as long as you do a mix of questing and daily instances later on it's pretty chill.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 6, 2017

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Do Sorcerers still suck?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
As somebody who played at launch for a little bit is the grind still kMMO-hard or is it better now?

I just don't have that kind of time anymore. :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

blizzardvizard posted:

Do Sorcerers still suck?

They are getting changed in the combat overhaul. iirc the sp cost for having your pet out will be a fixed amount, so no more % scaling. But the huge thing is that having your pet out no longer prevents natural sp regen.

Also you can ride your pet(c2) and use your own spells while mounted. Mounting also gives your pet a huge stat buff.

I think c3 is still poo poo, but one of the 2 c3 skills may be better now? idk

Pierson posted:

As somebody who played at launch for a little bit is the grind still kMMO-hard or is it better now?

They added some more quests to smooth out the leveling curve. Also changed the instance level requirements so that there is one every 30 levels which really helped leveling.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 7, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Pierson posted:

It's better. I leveled to 260s primarily through casual dungeon running. There's only a few grind spots and you can just ignore them and beat up more dungeons to get over the humps. Sub-50 is a wee bit grindy but still reasonable.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered this game and how adorable it is. Have they fixed the horrible performance issues from launch? I remember it stuttering and screen tearing to the point where it wasn't very enjoyable to play (and I've got a computer that's more than capable).

If yes, how's the game for just casual solo playing? I'm just looking to relive some of my Ragnarok Online nostalgia and I don't really expect to even reach max level :shobon:

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Your Computer posted:

I just remembered this game and how adorable it is. Have they fixed the horrible performance issues from launch? I remember it stuttering and screen tearing to the point where it wasn't very enjoyable to play (and I've got a computer that's more than capable).

If yes, how's the game for just casual solo playing? I'm just looking to relive some of my Ragnarok Online nostalgia and I don't really expect to even reach max level :shobon:

I just started playing this again this week after quiting at launch for the same reasons. The lag/stuttering is way better, I have not run into any issues. Not sure if it is because they improved their infrastructure or because there seems to be a lot less people in the zones hammering the servers.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ovo posted:

I just started playing this again this week after quiting at launch for the same reasons. The lag/stuttering is way better, I have not run into any issues. Not sure if it is because they improved their infrastructure or because there seems to be a lot less people in the zones hammering the servers.

Thanks!

I tried looking up some tips (not to mention the classes and stuff since you can't change that) and uh... this game is pretty impenetrable huh. I'm typically drawn to cleric-style characters for their survivability (since I like to just casually solo) and they seem to have a lot of cute costumes. I'm also drawn to the idea and costume of Chronomancers (debuffs in general are cool) but spellcasters are typically scary to play solo. Is there a "hey dumb babby pick these skills and you're good to go" guide out there? Any pro tips on where to even begin? :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Your Computer posted:

Thanks!

I tried looking up some tips (not to mention the classes and stuff since you can't change that) and uh... this game is pretty impenetrable huh. I'm typically drawn to cleric-style characters for their survivability (since I like to just casually solo) and they seem to have a lot of cute costumes. I'm also drawn to the idea and costume of Chronomancers (debuffs in general are cool) but spellcasters are typically scary to play solo. Is there a "hey dumb babby pick these skills and you're good to go" guide out there? Any pro tips on where to even begin? :(

Go Cleric 1 Priest 3. By the time you get to the c5 circle you should have some idea of what you want to do or the class reset event will be up and you can change everything.

I would not recommend chronomancer as your first char. It is pure support and those are painful to level if you don't know what you are doing.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I'm also drawn to the idea and costume of Chronomancers (debuffs in general are cool) but spellcasters are typically scary to play solo. Is there a "hey dumb babby pick these skills and you're good to go" guide out there? Any pro tips on where to even begin? :(

If you want to get a good idea of where to even begin I'd suggest going to the skill simulator linked in the OP and click on the 'Public Builds' button; picking a class and sorting by rating or popularity is a good way to see common class and skill combinations. I'd suggest just picking out a build that you think looks fun and start off following it, but don't be afraid to deviate from it along the way. As someone who put a rank into Chronomancer I'd strongly suggest not taking it unless you are absolutely sure you want it. Stop and Slow are both useful, but the massive cooldown on Reincarnate makes it terrible and the usefulness of Quicken really depends on which classes you are partied with. Pass is Chronomancer's big claim to fame, but it's all the way at rank 3, which is a whole lot of leveling with no new attack skills. You're probably not going to find random grinding parties at this point, so I'd be wary of pure support builds right now unless you have a guild or a group of friends to play with (or really like dungeons).

All that being said, they are going to be offering free rank, skill, and stat resets with the upcoming major summer update one time every day for every character for a week so this is probably the best opportunity you'll get for just experimenting with classes and skills you think look interesting. Don't worry about long-term goals at the moment since Rank 8 is a several hundred hour investment and the resets will give you plenty of chances to change things around.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! Yeah, it figures that a support type character like that isn't the best for soloing. Do I have it right that you only get the costumes if you rank in that class, though? :ohdear: dress-up is like 2/3 of my MMO enjoyment

I generally prefer self-heal, self-buff melee type characters, and/or damage over time. I thought Paladins might be up my alley, and Plague Doctors are obviously Very Cool but after googling it seems like they might be pretty bad? This is shaping up to be great, I've already spent a few hours and I haven't even booted up the game :shepface:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:siren:Free Leaf Penguin for everyone tomorrow!:siren:

It'll have the same stats as the TP version, making it the best pet.

Combat update coming on May 16th. Free class respecs / stat respecs too. Still haven't decided on how I want to spec my wizard :negative:

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! Yeah, it figures that a support type character like that isn't the best for soloing. Do I have it right that you only get the costumes if you rank in that class, though? :ohdear: dress-up is like 2/3 of my MMO enjoyment

I generally prefer self-heal, self-buff melee type characters, and/or damage over time. I thought Paladins might be up my alley, and Plague Doctors are obviously Very Cool but after googling it seems like they might be pretty bad? This is shaping up to be great, I've already spent a few hours and I haven't even booted up the game :shepface:

Yes you only get costumes if you take that class. Yes chronomancers are poo poo unless you go 3 circles deep.

Sounds like Paladins are what you are looking for in terms of support / melee chars. Plague doctors are good, but more pvp / dps oriented.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 8, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Seeric posted:

Don't worry about long-term goals at the moment since Rank 8 is a several hundred hour investment and the resets will give you plenty of chances to change things around.

No way. My highest (and only) character is in the 263 and that's with casual dungeon/mission running and the occasional event boost thrown in. It is definitely not several hundred hours! My character has 120 hours played on it and that's with plenty of AFKing, standing around talking to people/farming garbage for alts and then a good 7-8 hours of doing the stupid rear end Miko quest.

This isn't a new account either, so I didn't cruise up on the ridiculous newbie bonuses.

Your Computer posted:

Plague doctor is busted as gently caress but is getting hit a bit in the rebalance.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Combat update coming on May 16th. Free class respecs / stat respecs too. Still haven't decided on how I want to spec my wizard :negative:

Can you give a link to your source on this? I was under the impression that it wouldn't be until summer and I can't find any info about May 16 on the official site (or is this date for the Korean servers?).

On a related note, I have two questions regarding Featherfoot since I'm currently rank 6 and it's the class I've decided on for ranks 7 and 8. First, it seems like most Featherfoot players go pure constitution with the current system, but with most skill damage being changed to percentage-based instead of fixed would an intelligence build be more viable even when taking Blood Curse into account? Secondly, I plan to add Linker to my current build in large part due to the poison-boosting passive on Joint Penalty and I'd prefer to leave the class at rank 1, but people on the official forums seem to really insist upon rank 2 for the extra hit count on Joint Penalty; is rank 1 Linker truly worthless for PvE party content or can I get by on it if I'm bringing other forms of support?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Seeric posted:

Can you give a link to your source on this? I was under the impression that it wouldn't be until summer and I can't find any info about May 16 on the official site (or is this date for the Korean servers?).

On a related note, I have two questions regarding Featherfoot since I'm currently rank 6 and it's the class I've decided on for ranks 7 and 8. First, it seems like most Featherfoot players go pure constitution with the current system, but with most skill damage being changed to percentage-based instead of fixed would an intelligence build be more viable even when taking Blood Curse into account? Secondly, I plan to add Linker to my current build in large part due to the poison-boosting passive on Joint Penalty and I'd prefer to leave the class at rank 1, but people on the official forums seem to really insist upon rank 2 for the extra hit count on Joint Penalty; is rank 1 Linker truly worthless for PvE party content or can I get by on it if I'm bringing other forms of support?

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/spoiler-alert-advertisement-phrase/358964

I think most Featherfoot players go CON to see huge numbers from Blood Curse(which you can only use while you are levitating. That should really be in the tooltip).

If you go Featherfoot, you need to be at least linker 1 because from what I understand endgame FF just involves linking mobs then hitting one of them with Ngadhundi to spread decay to all your linked targets. Then you run around for 30 seconds while decay reduces their max hp to 1% then you one shot the mobs. Since you will always take 30 seconds to kill stuff, may as well go full CON.

I'm not sure exactly what all the changes to Joint Penalty are. They are definitely fixing the way it calculates damage. Right now if you have 4 linked mobs and they each take 1 hit, the link spread 4 hits to each mob. After the update, they will get 2 hits total(initial hit + JP hit). I heard they are also drastically lowering the hitcount each link can do before breaking. Right now it's 10 * skill level and after it'll be like 5 + skill level or something really low. Need confirm deny on this. You should still take linker 1 if you plan to FF after the combat changes because of spreading decay.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's fast, I thought it's gonna be June! Hopefully Pyro-Linker is fast enough to get me up to Sorcerer, at least. Do you know how long the daily reset thing lasts? I'm hoping to be able to play around with Sorcerer C3 a bit while I can still reset it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Thinking of trying this again after having played briefly during the initial Steam release. I want to make a Doppel but do swordsman based classes still need to dip into Pelt for that aoe gathering skill (forget its name) if I ever want a spot in a party? Needing to do that and the general balance issues for swordsman classes drove me away and I haven't kept a close eye on all of the changes since.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Condiv posted:

Thinking of trying this again after having played briefly during the initial Steam release. I want to make a Doppel but do swordsman based classes still need to dip into Pelt for that aoe gathering skill (forget its name) if I ever want a spot in a party? Needing to do that and the general balance issues for swordsman classes drove me away and I haven't kept a close eye on all of the changes since.

You can argue in favor of taking Sword2 instead of Pelt. Swordsman is good but money-hungry. Dopp owns.

With that said, Pelt is probably really good for Doppel just on the basis of gathering stuff so you can whirlwind it all down like a madman.

This is all subject to change later this month.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You don't really need the dip into Peltasta for Swash Buckling anymore because the game's population is way too low for pickup groups to abandon you for not having a skill that won't work anyway if someone else isn't paying attention.

Peltasta 1 is still great anyways though, because Guardian's Evasion silver attribute​ is a giant boost

Also for several months Doppelsoeldners and Fencers (circle 3) have been the top DPS classes in the game if you were worried.

Also there's a huge combat rework update literally next Tuesday so everything will be completely turned upside down yet again, and if everything goes as planned every character on every account will receive a free total reset every day , as in class choices, skills, stats, and attributes (in the form of credit towards other attributes). So definitely don't be afraid to try whatever you think might be fun.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

That's good to hear as I felt kinda bummed that my original character was going to be basically unwanted because I had skipped over swashbuckling before I knew that was the only reason anyone wanted a swordsman in groups back then.

The only other major issue that bugged me from the initial release was a graphic bug that causes your character's head to constantly turn to stare directly south regardless of what direction you were moving or facing. I recall hearing that it only happened with AMD cpus but was this ever fixed?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Make sure you log in to get your free penguin. You get it even if you didn't participate in the facebook thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

blizzardvizard posted:

That's fast, I thought it's gonna be June! Hopefully Pyro-Linker is fast enough to get me up to Sorcerer, at least. Do you know how long the daily reset thing lasts? I'm hoping to be able to play around with Sorcerer C3 a bit while I can still reset it.

The korean servers had the event it for 2 weeks. Not sure if they just lost the reset event yesterday or it's still going though.

So I would assume at least 2 weeks for iToS as well.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I thought daily dungeon bosses always drop cubes? Got one on my second run today but none on my first.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

blizzardvizard posted:

I thought daily dungeon bosses always drop cubes? Got one on my second run today but none on my first.

Sometimes it bugs out and doesn't drop :(

also Silento:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Forums are dead and gay, post hats: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820519

• Locked thread