Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Box posted:

I was legit terrible at this game and haven't had much to say simply because most of my memories of this game are half remembered at best, but I've really appreciated how this LP was put together-- showing off each character/vehicle/level without doing an entire playthrough of each individual character was a smart way to get to the real meat of the game and show your best efforts without becoming tedious for you to record and rehash redundant content. It's been fun to watch and see what I missed out on.

Yes. Everything this guy says is totally accurate. This has been a rad LP and good on you for doing it. I love your whole "thing" of doing these rad, dark, kinda hosed up games I played a lot of as a kid and often was too lovely to do well at, and was also 14. This, Manhunt, Punisher, Splatterhouse, all have been great. You're one of my favorite LPers and I really, really enjoy your work, and hope you don't stop LPing. Definitely one of my favorite subscriptions on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fiendly posted:

Always glad to hear it, feedback having been pretty scarce for this LP. Anyway, penultimate episode.

Update:

Yellow Jacket at The Carnival of Darkness

Charlie Kane and Son loading screens:
  1. I know things can't be like they were. But at least- when we win- people won't try to split us apart...
  2. My dad doesn't say much anymore. But I know he still loves me. I just wish- sometimes- he could tell me himself.
  3. I was always real smart. But I hated it. The other kids made fun of me. But being smart let me save my dad.
  4. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid of him. I just gotta get past his force field and I can win.
  5. My older brother is in this contest too. He scares me. But I think I feel some kind of... connection between us...
  6. This battleground is small and full of enemies. I gotta keep moving if I want to survive this.
  7. This is it. The last battleground in the contest. If I win me and my dad will never be torn apart.
  8. Dad said I should always respect the police. But they want to take father away... I can't let that happen...

Unfortunately I think that's a symptom of Twisted Metal itself, where if you're playing it a lot can change between the characters but watching can be a bit same-y since there's only really the cutscenes and the individual special attacks that change.

I don't think Twisted Metal not following its own stories isn't too much of an issue though. I'm not sure we would have gotten Black if it did!

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
This LP rocks, love the commentary. Sometimes I wonder about the writing in this game, though. Minion won last year's contest. But I'm not afraid. If I can just find a way past his force field, I can beat him.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

rotinaj posted:

Yes. Everything this guy says is totally accurate. This has been a rad LP and good on you for doing it. I love your whole "thing" of doing these rad, dark, kinda hosed up games I played a lot of as a kid and often was too lovely to do well at, and was also 14. This, Manhunt, Punisher, Splatterhouse, all have been great. You're one of my favorite LPers and I really, really enjoy your work, and hope you don't stop LPing. Definitely one of my favorite subscriptions on Youtube.

This is a good post and I agree with all of it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

This is a good post and I agree with all of it.

Same sentiment here.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
And for me. I don't comment because I really never have anything to add, but I enjoy your work, Fiendly. You have a knack for digging up solid content for seemingly simple games, and I appreciate that.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't have anything to add to the thread because I never played this game and don't have autistic encyclopedic knowledge of it (unlike, say Body Harvest)

Kinda regret not ever playing it as a kid, because it looks like the gameplay itself would have really appealed to me. The "story" seems to be more edgelord than satire for my tastes though.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I remember seeing this game at release, and when it wasn't as colorful as the PSX versions I just said no. I guess I missed out on a good game.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

I may be late here, but did you know that you can backfire Black's special and he'll drop the rocks behind him and they'll act as a landmine for a few seconds, with his slow speed it may be more useful to use them that way.
Sorry in advance if this makes you play as Black one more time to try it out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Getting on the Fiendly Fan Club :bandwagon: I'd comment more than I do but, well, I'm kinda the horror reference guy, as seen in the Splatterhouse thread of yore, and this isn't that kind of scene. I'm interested for whatever is down the pipeline still though...

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I'm not convinced that the format of the LP really works. Nearly five minutes of cutscenes per video to show off about five minutes of repetitive gameplay with play-by-play commentary is something I still can't justify even after all these videos. It demonstrates to me why Twisted Metal's developers try to come up with total re-imaginings of the series with every installment* even though they struck oil with the first one, because it just feels lacking and stagnant even at the earliest stages of the creative process. It's clear that plenty of people enjoy this LP despite its inherent flaws though, and that alone makes it worth having done it. (Well, almost done it; one video remaining)

*See the documentary that I forgot to post in the thread to hear about all the times the developers lacked confidence in their product and the countless ideas they pitched to "fix" it over the years:
Twisted Metal: The Dark Past

Mr.Flibble posted:

I may be late here, but did you know that you can backfire Black's special and he'll drop the rocks behind him and they'll act as a landmine for a few seconds, with his slow speed it may be more useful to use them that way.
Sorry in advance if this makes you play as Black one more time to try it out.

Yeah, I see the AI do that all the time. I always have no problem dodging it and I know other AI vehicles cheat so bad with landmine effects that they're practically immune to them, so I never had any confidence in using it that way myself. I see the potential, but I count myself as being free from Manslaughter so there's no risk of me buying another ticket to that shitshow.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fiendly posted:

I'm not convinced that the format of the LP really works. Nearly five minutes of cutscenes per video to show off about five minutes of repetitive gameplay with play-by-play commentary is something I still can't justify even after all these videos. It demonstrates to me why Twisted Metal's developers try to come up with total re-imaginings of the series with every installment* even though they struck oil with the first one, because it just feels lacking and stagnant even at the earliest stages of the creative process. It's clear that plenty of people enjoy this LP despite its inherent flaws though, and that alone makes it worth having done it. (Well, almost done it; one video remaining)

*See the documentary that I forgot to post in the thread to hear about all the times the developers lacked confidence in their product and the countless ideas they pitched to "fix" it over the years:
Twisted Metal: The Dark Past

Yeah, I see the AI do that all the time. I always have no problem dodging it and I know other AI vehicles cheat so bad with landmine effects that they're practically immune to them, so I never had any confidence in using it that way myself. I see the potential, but I count myself as being free from Manslaughter so there's no risk of me buying another ticket to that shitshow.

Don't feel bad - I've played a decent amount of twisted metal (1-3) back in the day, and I feel like it's the sort of game where the fun doesn't really translate - especially not in Lost where there's basically no secrets to show off and very basic levels.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
For the record, I feel the format works. In a lot of games the gameplay doesn't change between levels and the environments or boss fights add to the variety. This is a particularly repetative example but you're doing a good job showing off the bleakly psychotic atmosphere of the game with the format that you chose. As someone who beat the game multiple times as a teen, I'm entertained.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I think this was actually a really really well done LP. Super informative and fun to watch. But I have a lot of nostalgia for TW: Black.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I think the format works, the minimal playtkme works when it's as simplistic as TM: Black is. Personally I think you could have separated the episodes into two characters per, so they weren't quite so short, but i prefer long videos to short ones.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I think the format works because of how short the game is. It wouldn't work for a LP of the entire Twisted Metal franchise, but Black is just interesting enough to let you get by.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I agree that this game (and really the whole TM series) doesn't really lend itself to the traditional LP format. It would be like doing an LP of Dynasty Warriors. Little bits of interesting story surrounded by fast forwarded, repetitive combat.

But as others have said, I appreciate you doing these often overlooked, dark games from the past.

As Fiendly stated in the video, we get to play as Yellowjacket, a character that has been around since the first game. His original wish was to find his long lost son, but whoops, he just killed him. *wah-wah*

No, really, that was his ending in TM1. "Well, I would reunite you with your son, but, well, you just killed him to get to me so...bye"

He then returned in TM2 as the end boss, Dark Tooth, basically a bigger, meaner version of Sweet Tooth, out for revenge after you killed his son. (I think sweet tooth was originally a hidden playable character, so by default, you always ended up killing him)

Pretty sure he skipped out on 3 and 4 and came back finally for Black.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

haha, TM1 had such dick move endings. Like Outlaw, whose quest was to use Calypso's power to live in a world where crime and violence are gone. So Calypso opens a portal to an outer space dimension and boots him through it. There you go. In part two, his sister drives the car, looking for him. (they reunite later in the series)

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Almost makes you appreciate the original endings David Jaffe shot for TM1.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Fiendly posted:

Almost makes you appreciate the original endings David Jaffe shot for TM1.
Thumper's ending will always be the best one of those silly videos.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Choco1980 posted:

haha, TM1 had such dick move endings. Like Outlaw, whose quest was to use Calypso's power to live in a world where crime and violence are gone. So Calypso opens a portal to an outer space dimension and boots him through it. There you go. In part two, his sister drives the car, looking for him. (they reunite later in the series)

Both TM1 and TM2 had the 'careful what you wish for' theme among most of the endings. In the ones that didn't result in some horrible twist technically making a wish come true it was usually someone getting revenge on Calypso instead.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:

12-Pak at The Death Port

With this, we come to the end of the LP. We're all finally free from Twisted Metal's dark world.

I'm not sure what or when my next thread will be, but I would appreciate it if people were to check out my other ongoing thread for Body Harvest. I've been very happy with the way that LP is going but it's a real dead scene over there lately and it could use a few more eyes on it if anyone's interested in old-school Rockstar goodness.

Thanks for watching Twisted Metal: Black and have a happy Halloween!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You mentioned the teleporter in Death Port was supposed to have a health pickup on the other end...it did. You grabbed it each time you teleported. It lands you right on top of it, so you grabbed it immediately.

Anyways, thank you for another fine LP. I always wanted to see the dark content of this game, but was never any good at it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got a shout-out! Woo! I'll have to check out your Body Harvest LP, because I've never played that game. And as for whether you pronounced my name right, yeah, that's pretty much right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ES0lYnYPY

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nice job finishing the LP, Fiendly!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That credits sequence was pretty great. Thanks for finishing up the LP!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
For what it's worth, I agree that it would've gotten boring fast if you'd played the whole game through each time, but the one person per level thing kept it a lot more interesting than you probably give it credit for. It also helps that you're a great LPer, so the gameplay never felt boring to watch. I enjoyed it, so thank you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was nice to re-experience Black. Perhaps the other thing it surprisingly managed to do well was take "Paint it Black" and actually make it work as a theme song and not just as a marketing tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

This was a really great LP, Fiendly! Probably the best way you could do a LP of Twisted Metal. Glad the character/stage stuff happened to work out so nicely.

• Locked thread