Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm told they cancelled Sonic because Archie only cares about Riverdale or whatever. That or Sega revoked the license.

Hopefully with the success of Sonic Mania and Generations we could get a Classic Sonic comic too. It's funny, the retellings of the Genesis games are some of Ian Flynn's most popular comics but when I spoke to him, he told me he really didn't like doing those and was kind of bored doing them. I can kind of understand that. He wants to make his own stories and adapting old school video games into other mediums isn't the easiest thing because those games mostly consist of "Sonic runs to the right, bounces on things and fights Eggman at the end of each level."

I mean, I mostly want classic Sonic stories because I'm an old man and classic Sonic is the one that's near and dear to me heart. BTW I kind of consider Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 to be "classic Sonic" sort of, even though that's when he got green eyes and stuff. They're old enough to be considered "classic." I consider the death of the Dreamcast to be the end of that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hopefully with the success of Sonic Mania and Generations we could get a Classic Sonic comic too. It's funny, the retellings of the Genesis games are some of Ian Flynn's most popular comics but when I spoke to him, he told me he really didn't like doing those and was kind of bored doing them. I can kind of understand that. He wants to make his own stories and adapting old school video games into other mediums isn't the easiest thing because those games mostly consist of "Sonic runs to the right, bounces on things and fights Eggman at the end of each level."

Was he including stuff like Mega Drive in that, where he did original stuff with the classic era? Because I thought that was a really fun little diversion. I don't know if I need an entire ongoing comic devoted to it but dipping back to the classic designs for shorter stories in between bigger modern era arcs would have been a great compromise I think.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
It's been covered earlier in this thread, but here's the cliff notes version:
  • Ken Penders sues Archie for the rights of all of his original characters for the book. Because his contract with Archie was lost in a fire, he wins, forcing Flynn to retcon the existence of like 90% of the book's cast.
  • Penders gets greedy, starts claiming that the present iteration of Eggman is one of his original characters.
  • Scott Fulop, one time editor of the book and writer under the pen name "Kent Taylor", decides to ALSO try suing Archie.
  • Sega decides this amount of legal fuckery is not worth it, and cancels their licensing deal with Archie Comics.
  • Archie does not put up a fight. Allegedly, the higher-ups never liked the Sonic book and deeply resented the fact that it was their most consistently lucrative title.
  • Sega gives the property license to IDW, who hires back most of the previous talent to work on the new title.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Archie Comics was also suffering from major cashflow problems at the time this all started to go south. If not for Riverdale they might have gone under.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Ian mentioned on the Bumblekast (his podcast) that the Ken Penders incident wasn't the reason why the books got cancelled (though he added it didn't help)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well didn't the Penders poo poo happen like 5 years before?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes but it really rankeled Sega to no end.

Apprently put Sega's relationship with Archie on a perpetual knife edge.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On his Twitter recently, I believe Penders was musing about how he could probably sue IDW because they didn't pay him for some Star Trek comics he did for DC in the 90s which they reprinted. :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wheat Loaf posted:

On his Twitter recently, I believe Penders was musing about how he could probably sue IDW because they didn't pay him for some Star Trek comics he did for DC in the 90s which they reprinted. :v:

IDW probably has a much deeper legal war chest on it's side*, so that would probably not go very well for him

*not to mention much better lawyers, they did deal with Toho licensing for the better part of a decade after all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Allegedly Disney owns a small chunk of IDW and were exploring buying them outright (then they bought Marvel). It would be nice to see that purchase happen and then Disney's lawyers could crush Penders.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I don't think Disney lawyers would be needed for Penders to lose a lawsuit. He won the previous lawsuit because of some lost records, as well as his incredibly heavy involvement in the history of the Sonic comic. I really don't think he has enough bank or enough pull within IDW for that to work a second time.

Incidentally, he tried to accuse Rough of being a parody of Geoffrey St. Geoffrey recently, despite the only connection between the characters being that they're skunks from a Sonic comic, and have no other similarities whatsoever in overall design or, presumably, character or backstory.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You misunderstand. I want them to crush him. I want to see him so financially ruined that he has to get a job at Wendy's.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Rhyno posted:

Allegedly Disney owns a small chunk of IDW and were exploring buying them outright (then they bought Marvel). It would be nice to see that purchase happen and then Disney's lawyers could crush Penders.

That would also be the end of TMNT, GB, and all the other IDW non-Disney licences once their contract expires, maybe save for The X-Files if the Fox sale gets approved. (And long-time Sonic fans already know Penders and Jim Valentino tried THAT crossover during the Image Super Special.) Ghostbusters is Sony's, TMNT is Viacom's, and while the latter's Paramount does have a friendlier-than-most relationship with Disney thanks to Eisner's career path and the Indy Jones ride (which was mostly made possible due to George Lucas and the Star Tours partner deal he had with Disney for years), there's no way they'd want to help Disney make more money with their stuff. They'd probably just shut it down and send it over to Dark Horse, who already has the Viacom connection with their Avatar-Korra books.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's whined about that for years, all the way back to the late 90s on his message board and the comic mailing lists, that he "[doesn't] see a dime when my Star Trek work gets reprinted or collected." Yeah, just like every other work-for-hire talent in the biz with a contract that lays it all out. Ask Peter David and other Trek contributors, like the novelists, about theirs. Even Harlan Ellison probably didn't get royalties for the complete adaptation of his original teleplay for City on the Edge of Forever, since Paramount bought the script from him in the 60s, that means they own all of it, even the cut parts. Of course since technically he "wrote" the comic maybe they sent him a few bucks?

File that one under his "Lost Ones" comics and movie ever getting released, that Lara-Su app, and all the other stuff he's thrown out there over the years about what's "going" to happen. The Archie lawsuit was the only thing he's made good on and had pure dumb luck of Archie bungling on his side. He's just trying to keep people talking about him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah, Trek royalty deals are notoriously terrible. He's probably owed like 18 cents or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is it wrong that I think Penders' point of deserving royalties for his work is a valid one, if not necessarily that he should own them?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

Is it wrong that I think Penders' point of deserving royalties for his work is a valid one, if not necessarily that he should own them?

He probably does deserve royalties. But in today's world you have to do the legwork and file a shitload of paperwork to get them which he certainly has not done. But you generally do not get to own work you do on licensed, corporate properties like Star Trek.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Basically, the way it works is like this:

If it was 95% of other comics talent, I would want them to get their royalties, and would be on their side in legal battles.

It's Penders, however, so I would prefer he lose miserably and then get dumped in a trash can while everyone else walks away with everything he owns.

Also a dog pees on him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

When it comes to Ken Penders I'll say this much, if I were to discover that I had terminal cancer, one of the last items on my bucket list would be to take a power sander to his hands

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Rhyno posted:

You misunderstand. I want them to crush him. I want to see him so financially ruined that he has to get a job at Wendy's.

Rhyno, you're alright.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It should also be noted that his "Star Trek Work" was a bunch of glorified traces.

Also, Rhyno, you say you want him so devastated he has to work at Wendy's, do you really think Wendy's would take him?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Penders is in fact a genuinely awful person, but I think he's ruining himself well enough, and find him ending with a whimper more appropriate/satisfying than a bang.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure most people would ordinarily be on Penders's side at least in principle, but it's hard to take him seriously when he's staking all these claims of ownership over these indisputably derivative characters and ideas that would probably get him done for copyright infringement if he tried to publish stories with them with a view to making money off them.

Take his Lara-Su Chronicles project, take his name off it and show it to someone who knows what Sonic is but is ignorant of the fandom or fanbase and they would absolutely say, "That's a weird-looking Sonic fan comic."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dunno, Wendy's was just what I consider a garbage tier job. Even below working a gas station.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

should I make a new thread? or are we still planning on renaming this one?

I ask because the new comic comes out next week and a lot of people have already read it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

should I make a new thread? or are we still planning on renaming this one?

I ask because the new comic comes out next week and a lot of people have already read it.

New one I say.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Yeah, it's not Archie's Sonic anymore and never will be again. (...it's still weird to type that :( )

IDW is 100% a fresh start, so new thread.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
New Thread
New Style
Same Diva-isnous

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's what everyone wants in a female protagonist - the cold-dead eyes of a shark.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

It's what everyone wants in a female protagonist - the cold-dead eyes of a shark.

She's an antagonist.

I know, that was important information you're pleased to have.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rest in piss, Dark Legion. We're a week away from you never having ever existed. And that makes me happy.:unsmith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Rest in piss, Dark Legion. We're a week away from you never having ever existed. And that makes me happy.:unsmith:

Didn’t they stop existing as of the SGW?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah they got replaced by the Egg Army and Bosses.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah they got replaced by the Egg Army and Bosses.

Man I dug the Egg Bosses, gonna miss those weird jerks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Caidin posted:

Man I dug the Egg Bosses, gonna miss those weird jerks.

We'll probably get new ones, as well as the couple of ones that were based on preexisting characters like that bird guy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, but....now they exist even less.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Isn't this pretty much where he's already at? Dude's basically blacklisted from the comics industry and has no other marketable skills, and barely has those skills to the extent that he has to use loving Poser to make his current "work." I would genuinely not be surprised to hear that Ken Penders is homeless and using library computers or a dirt-cheap pawn shop laptop to try and make that "Lara-Su Chronicles" abomination.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Supposedly part of the reason he's able to just coast on not doing anything since leaving Archie is at least partially because his wife has a somewhat high paying job

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I recall hearing that he worked on storyboards for King of the Hill and other animation projects too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New thread for IDW Sonic talk.

• Locked thread