Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogodei_Khan
Feb 28, 2009
The issue seems to be how you conceptualize of the ontology of aesthetic features. For example, if aesthetic features can subsist independently of the artist ,then you can seperate the artist and their features from the piece. This is a separate issue from whether art can found into a concrete particular like a script or if different performances are different art pieces . The issue would be cashed out differently also in how we view aesthetic features.

For example, if we hold that aesthetic features are some type of transcendental realist feature in the Kantian sense, like how sour a candy is , saying "something like (1) "this is Beethoven's Fugue" would be a descriptive claim but (2) "Beethoven's Fugue is beautiful" would be a claim about aesthetic properties. Karl Robert Von Hartmann in his Aesthetic Philosophy of Beauty from 1888 makes this type of claim. The result of this type of view is that when I say (2) descriptions are about my imagination and not directly connected to the artist who made it. Someone like Arthur Danto in his instituional phase will claim that (2) is a statement about myself and the institution I participate in. John Dilworth will treat (2) as an event that can only be understood by an individual. An older model is attached to Christian philosophy of Icons.

This view stands out because in it piece of art has its own ontology and because it is a response to earlier aesthetic claims made by those like Parrhasius and John of Damascene. John of Damascene's work is titled In Defense of Icons. Parrhasius views come across in fragments and through schools that developed. Stephen Halliwell's The Aesthetics of Mimesis Ancient Texts and Modern Problems deals with some of the sources and how they developed his ideas. Xenophon is one place you can see some of claims attributed to Parrhasius. This is related to the concept of Ekpharasis. This model claims that art object exists on its own or fails to correspond or exhaust some objects identity. So rather than suspending disbelief the difference between the art object, the viewer and the artist is heightened. In the early models the artist did not even matter. The academic work Icons in Time, Persons in Eternity by Tsakiridou explores the aesthetic and philosophical development from historical theological views. If you want to skip the historical stuff chapter 14 deals with contemporary aesthetics in that piece. Clement Greenberg's content oriented view seems to track the ontology of an aesthetic piece through its content and not its form. This is the opposite of the above earlier view. This means there are some cases where the artist will become part of the piece.

Edit: Sorry about the formatting, Darth Walrus. I will format it a bit. Added a few references.

Ogodei_Khan fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ogodei_Khan posted:

The issue seems to be how you conceptualize of the ontology of aesthetic features. For example, if aesthetic features can subsist independently of the artist then you can seperate the artist and their features from the piece. This is a separate issue from whether art can found into a concrete particular like a script or different performances are different art . Th objects. The issue would be cashed out differently also in how we view aesthetic features. For example, if we hold that aesthetic features are some type of transcendental realist feature in the Kantian sense, like how sour a candy is , saying "something like (1) "this is Beethoven's Fugue" would be a descriptive claim but (2) "Beethoven's Fugue is beautiful" would be a claim about aesthetic properties. Karl Robert Von Hartmann in his Aesthetic Philosophy of Beauty from 1888 makes this type of claim. The result of this type of view is that when I say (2) descriptions are about my imagination and not directly connected to the artist who made it. Someone like Arthur Danto in his instituional phase will claim that (2) is a statement about myself and the institution I participate in. John Dilworth will treat (2) as an event that can only be understood by an individual. An older model is attached to Christian philosophy of Icons. This view stands out because in it piece of art has its own ontology and because it is a response to earlier aesthetic claims made by those like Parrhasius and John of Damascene. This is related to the concept of Ekpharasis. This model claims that art object exists on its own or fails to correspond or exhaust some objects identity. So rather than suspending disbelief the difference between the art object, the viewer and the artist is heightened. In the early models the artist did not even matter. The academic work Icons in Time, Persons in Eternity by Tsakiridou explores the aesthetic and philosophical development from historical theological views. If you want to skip the historical stuff chapter 14 deals with contemporary aesthetics in that piece. Clement Greenberg's content oriented view seems to track the ontology of an aesthetic piece through its content and not its form. This means there are some cases where the artist will become part of the piece.

Mother of Odin, dude, use paragraphs.

• Locked thread