Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
This is the thread for sausages, snausages, wieners, franks, salamis, and anything suitably phallic. Let me start off by saying that I am no Abe Froman so please call me on any bad advice.

So, I love sausage. Maybe it's just penis envy but I love making them. Homemade sausage is freaking delicious. I don't trust store bought sausage and dogs. There's a lot of stuff that can go into a sausage that I wouldn't eat if it was whole so why would I eat it ground up? I try to make my own ground meats and sausages whenever I can. Most of the pictures are from my recent experiment with summer sausage.

=Meat=
One of the beauties of sausages is that you can make them from almost anything red blooded and even some vegetarian options if you're a soulless heathen. Hell, you can even make sausage from red blood. Lamb, beef, pork, chicken, duck, your neighbor's dog who won't shut up at 3 am, anything can potentially make a delicious wurst. Personally, I love using pork and beef shoulder.

=Casings=
You certainly don't need casings to make sausage but they're kind of half the fun. There's actually a wide variety of choices when it comes to casings and there's some important distinctions.
  • Natural Casings - Made from animal gut, specifically, the submucosa of the intestinal tract. Typically these are either hog casings or sheep casings. Sheep casings tend to be smaller and more delicate so I prefer working with hog. Natural casings are your general go to if you can stomach working with them. They're easy to use and they're more permeable for smoking. You can get fresh casings (heavily recommended) at most butchers but some stores also sell them packed in salt to preserve them. Either way, they need to be properly cleaned (inside and out) and soaked before you use them.

Salt packed casing

Fresh casing
    You NEED to wash your casings. Holding one end open under a faucet will let you run water through them and clean the insides as well as the outside. When you soak natural casings, I recommend adding a tablespoon of white vinegar for every cup of water, especially if your casings have been packed in salt. This helps make natural casings softer, clearer, and easier to work with. It also really helps to leave one end of your casing hanging over the rim of the bowl so you can easily find it when you go to stuff.

Natural casings kept in a salt solution can typically last a month while refrigerated.

• Collagen Casings - These are what most sausages you buy are made with. The casing is essentially made from animal gelatin. They're cheaper and they don't spoil. No soaking is required before using them though it's recommended that you rub them down with vegetable oil after stuffing them to keep them moist. I don't really work with collagen casings so I don't have much more advice than that.

• Fibrous Casings - These are made from wood cellulose and inedible. Like collagen casings, they do not require refrigeration. They're typically used for the uniform diameter they give the sausage. Unlike other casings, you can't over stuff them.

• Alginate Casings - This is something else that exists if... you know... if you don't eat meat. Whatever.

=Seasoning=
Really, whatever you like. Experiment. I like mustard seeds and onion powder but to each their own. One thing to note, if you want to make cured sausage like salami, you're going to need a meat cure. I recommend Morton's Quick Cure. You can typically find it in the spice aisle of hipster grocery stores. There's a lot I can say about curing but I'm not really an expert so... if anyone else has advice.

=Grinding=
There's obviously a lot of different type of grinders you can use but they all (for the most part) do the same thing. I'm a poor college student so I use a cheap artisanal as gently caress grinder.

Before you grind your meat, you are going to want to chill it until it's firm and cut it into long strips. This will make the whole grinding process a lot easier and less likely to clog up your cheap artisanal grinder.

=Stuffing=
Most people will use a stuffing attachment that comes with their grinder. If you're fancy/serious about sausages then you might invest in a sausage gun (yes, seriously, that's what they're called). Either way, the process is pretty much the same. Before you slip the casing on your horn, you're going to want to crank the grinder until your meat is just poking out. This way you won't get any air bubbles in your casing. Rub a little lube on your horn and just slip your casing over it gently to avoid tears, tieing the end off in a knot. When you stuff, be careful to check your consistency. If you overstuff your sausage, they're split when it cooks.

Once your sausage is stuffed, you can either leave it as a roll or make links by pinching off sections and turning in alternating directions.

I recommend letting sausages sit 24 hours before you cook. It gives your flavors time to mix before you cook them. Mmmmmm, sausage.

BedBuglet fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

And bonus points for loving up the title.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I'm pretty interested to try making my own sausage but that casing business is disgusting

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

ROFLburger posted:

I'm pretty interested to try making my own sausage but that casing business is disgusting

I mean... the casings are just connective tissue, not the entire intestines. If you feel squeamish about it, I recommend either making sausage without casings or using collagen casings. Both are perfectly acceptable methods.

I've personally never really had reservations when it comes to meat. It's like how I loooove Ox tail but a number of friends refuse to try it because they're somehow disconcerted by the meat's proximity to the butt... and yet they love flank steaks. Go figure.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I've always wanted to try making tube meats. I have a hand crank grinder and a manual stuffer I got for $5 each at walmart after hunting season and I even have a vintage manual and an electric grinder tucked away at my parents for when the walmart ones inevitably break. The problem is we have an amazingly good butcher down the street that makes all kinds of amazing brats for cheap. They will even custom grind anything you want if you place a 3lb order.

They even have corned Beef and Swiss like the Tubens served at Hot Dougs. Though some of the poo poo like Gummy Bear & Cheddar Bratwurst and French Onion Dip & Potato Chip Bratwurst sound pretty nasty.

Here is a giant list of what they make from scratch.
http://www.butcherontheblock.com/bratwursts--sausages.html

So while I'd like to encase meats I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Is there a really simple but awesome brat or sausage you recommend newbies start out with to see if it's something they enjoy?

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Pubic Lair posted:

I've always wanted to try making tube meats. I have a hand crank grinder and a manual stuffer I got for $5 each at walmart after hunting season and I even have a vintage manual and an electric grinder tucked away at my parents for when the walmart ones inevitably break. The problem is we have an amazingly good butcher down the street that makes all kinds of amazing brats for cheap. They will even custom grind anything you want if you place a 3lb order.

They even have corned Beef and Swiss like the Tubens served at Hot Dougs. Though some of the poo poo like Gummy Bear & Cheddar Bratwurst and French Onion Dip & Potato Chip Bratwurst sound pretty nasty.

Here is a giant list of what they make from scratch.
http://www.butcherontheblock.com/bratwursts--sausages.html

So while I'd like to encase meats I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Is there a really simple but awesome brat or sausage you recommend newbies start out with to see if it's something they enjoy?

That sounds amazing! But, will he make sausage out of neighbor's yappy dog? :argh:

If you're looking to start our, try breakfast sausage without the casings. Just grind up your pork with spices you like and freeze it for later. If you specifically want to try casings, try a normal brat.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Pubic Lair posted:

Gummy Bear & Cheddar Bratwurst
I refuse to believe the person whose brain farted that one out is "amazingly good" at his job.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Illinois Smith posted:

I refuse to believe the person whose brain farted that one out is "amazingly good" at his job.

I don't know, there's a pizza place near us that will make absolutely any pizza if you provide them the ingredients so one of my bf's friends thought it would be a good idea to make a $20 pizza. It was a pizza that literally had $20 in singles shredded up and baked into the crust. Not sure WHY this was a good idea but he was convinced it was.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I imagine being a full service butcher is just like being a chef at a steakhouse and having to cook food well done. If they pay the bill it's none of your business if they want hosed up food.

Though now I feel like I need to try the Gummy Bear & Cheddar Bratwurst and French Onion Dip & Potato Chip Bratwurst to see how terrible they really are. A quick google found that other shops specialize in making them as well.

http://www.startribune.com/hugo-butcher-offers-110-brat-flavors-best-sellers-gummi-brats/267976191/

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

quote:

the bears’ little faces straining through the casing.

quote:

Grundhofer himself prefers brats he makes with Skittles.

dude, gross

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I've decided that this is the summer I'm getting a grinder to at least grind my own burgers, but the more I read up on sausage making the more excited I am to try it.

BedBuglet, what have you made so far? Any total misses, seasoning-wise?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

It is a bit of a weird article. I like the part when it implies the butcher is fat and larger than a steer

quote:

He slaps one of the 200-pound hind quarters of a steer hanging in the cooler with a sort of fond familiarity, himself being about as broad and necessarily outweighing the hunk of meat.

Can you really blame him for eating skittle brats? It's a viscous cycle.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
You can chill your grinder too to prevent clogging it up - I keep mine in the freezer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Pubic Lair posted:

Can you really blame him for eating skittle brats?
Yes. Yes I can.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pubic Lair posted:

It's a viscous cycle.

I think I have one of those on my washing machine.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Happy Hat posted:

You can chill your grinder too to prevent clogging it up - I keep mine in the freezer.

This is clutch. If you have a mixer attachment, always keep the blades in the freezer as well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/we-spoke-to-the-chef-who-has-made-143-types-of-mac-and-cheese

Some dude made mac and cheese sausage. I'm not sure how to feel about it (photo is in the link)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who hunts and have been pondering game sausages...but I can only get natural casings in batches of 250m length. :psyduck: I don't think they sell enough gummy bears to fill those in my area

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Pad them with potato chips and Skittles. Problem solved.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hopper posted:

I have a friend who hunts and have been pondering game sausages...but I can only get natural casings in batches of 250m length. :psyduck: I don't think they sell enough gummy bears to fill those in my area

I make sausage every year for Christmas and what I've found is that, wherever I am, there is always a local butcher shop that will just give me enough if I spend money there on something else. I've done this in Houston, Chicago, and new Hampshire multiple times now.

Helps if it is an independent shop and not a chain grocery store, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Pubic Lair posted:

I'm late to this party but I've done a few different sausages from deer and pronghorn like brats and merguez, mostly just out of Charcuterie. I also tried to do a hot dog too, but they weren't quite right. I couldn't make your poo poo shoot and will be pretty busy until late November with hunting trips but once I'm back I'd be down for some sausage stuffing. Sure, you can buy great sausage, but it's pretty satisfying to make your own entirely from scratch.

• Locked thread