Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0eBWDVAtw

Chuck Jones had been making tepid Disney-esque cartoons for five years when he made his first great film.

Most of the short is animated in a "limited" smear style that was revolutionary for the time.

Instead of a smooth movement from one pose to another, there's a few frames of smeared animation. It gives a surreal, goofy effect. Especially when you pause it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for this bit of sex pervert history, always fun to learn about those creeps.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
The best cartoon, it really is.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
CONFOUND THOSE DOVER BOYS!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Old WB and Fleischer cartoons own

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Chuck Jones was an animation master, but I honestly didn't like the cutesy faces he used for the Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry in the 50s/60s. (Yes I know that they were all drawn in the fairly generic and interchangeable "screwball" style before that but still)

His original stuff was great though, check out Gay Purr-ee if you ever get the chance

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

CONFOUND THOSE DOVER BOYS!

DEAR RICH DORA STANDPIPE HOW I LOVE HER

(father's money)

Cuckoo posted:

Chuck Jones was an animation master, but I honestly didn't like the cutesy faces he used for the Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry in the 50s/60s. (Yes I know that they were all drawn in the fairly generic and interchangeable "screwball" style before that but still)

His original stuff was great though, check out Gay Purr-ee if you ever get the chance

I think Warner Bros. was the best place for Jones because his MGM work is mostly forgettable besides How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Dot and the Line. The Phantom Tollbooth is up there with Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings in terms of bad adaptations that shouldn't have been anything but awesome. He had a strange career path considering he spent several years making one mediocre cartoon after another at Warner Bros., then he's suddenly making one great cartoon after another. It's funny how Jones is known for making both the best Warner Bros. cartoon ever made (What's Opera, Doc?) as well as what's considered the worst (Good Night Elmer).

Still, Jones made so many great cartoons, it's not so bad. Although, the filmographies of Clampett, Tashlin, and Avery are nearly bulletproof.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

DEAR RICH DORA STANDPIPE HOW I LOVE HER

(father's money)

I think Warner Bros. was the best place for Jones because his MGM work is mostly forgettable besides How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Dot and the Line. The Phantom Tollbooth is up there with Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings in terms of bad adaptations that shouldn't have been anything but awesome. He had a strange career path considering he spent several years making one mediocre cartoon after another at Warner Bros., then he's suddenly making one great cartoon after another. It's funny how Jones is known for making both the best Warner Bros. cartoon ever made (What's Opera, Doc?) as well as what's considered the worst (Good Night Elmer).

Still, Jones made so many great cartoons, it's not so bad. Although, the filmographies of Clampett, Tashlin, and Avery are nearly bulletproof.

Yeah Avery has to be my all time favorite old school animator, but there was no doubting Chuck's skill or distinctive style. He also seemed to weather the movie shorts to tv production change better than everyone else (besides Hanna Barbera, of course).

Even Chuck's most mediocre work was godly compared to turds like Warner Bros.'s Cool Cat :barf:

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
my input about this:

john k is a child molester

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

Yeah Avery has to be my all time favorite old school animator, but there was no doubting Chuck's skill or distinctive style. He also seemed to weather the movie shorts to tv production change better than everyone else (besides Hanna Barbera, of course).

Even Chuck's most mediocre work was godly compared to turds like Warner Bros.'s Cool Cat :barf:

I love Frank Tashlin's cartoons. They're directed like live-action, with all sorts of amazing shots and timing. He was thrown into the cheap B&W unit at Warner Bros. after going to Columbia for a few years. Porky Pig's Feat is one of the best cartoons ever made.

Also, he had one hell of a leg fetish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1UaE-h3sE

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Egbert Souse posted:

as well as what's considered the worst (Good Night Elmer).

It's Elmer Fudd trying to match wits with a candle and losing. It's hilarious. Hell, I probably love it more than most of Jones's great cartoons. How is it anywhere near one of the worst?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

One Legged Cat posted:

The best cartoon, it really is.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Cuckoo posted:

I get that they had a huge influence on getting animation to work for tv, but who has anything to good to say about the actual quality. I mean, besides like that sweet rear end johny quest test animation/intro.

JiveHonky posted:

my input about this:

john k is a child molester

Also, besides him. (because John k. is a man of terrible opinions)

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 6, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

give a man photoshop and he'll draw mustaches on people

teach a man photoshop and he'll make stupid poo poo like this

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

A runabout, I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

UNHAND HER DAN BACKSLIDE

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

I love how the blonde guy's design gives off the "frat boy douche" vibe even though this cartoon is almost 80 years old. Truly timeless

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Egbert Souse posted:

UNHAND HER DAN BACKSLIDE

We recently got this one on a Looney Tunes DVD and my son ran around the house screaming this yesterday.

We're raising him right by gum.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dover Boys cosplay:

Gravitee posted:

We recently got this one on a Looney Tunes DVD and my son ran around the house screaming this yesterday.

We're raising him right by gum.

Awesome

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Hard to believe I grew up watching cartoons made by perverts in 1942. That's some seriously timeless storytelling. Dan Backslides voice acting in particular always stuck with me.

Guy Mann posted:

What's amazing is that the cartoon is still funny even when none of us are familiar with the lovely serialized novels of the early 1900s that it's making fun of.

:agreed:

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 6, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
What's amazing is that the cartoon is still funny even when none of us are familiar with the lovely serialized novels of the early 1900s that it's making fun of.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
father's money

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Dover Boys cosplay:

Awesome

i dont see dover boys, just a wolfpack of stone cold pussy crushers

and by that i mean probably necrophilia

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

the dude on the far right seems like the type of guy who would follow one of those "perfect hotpocket" recipes on facebook and get super mad when it turns out he was baking meth instead

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

TASTY

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
THEY DRIIIIIVE ME TO DRINK!

Hometown Slime Queen fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 6, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
the part where the bad guy does 200 consecutive shots then gets beat up by a woman really resonates with my own life, op.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Johnny Bravo did that same fake motion blur effect, I guess because he makes a lot of sudden quick movements.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Weird I was just thinking about the part where they avert their eyes from the den of ill repute a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

• Locked thread