Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The Rolling Stones have announced they have started recording an album for release in 2016, their first since 2005. Sounds as though it will be a back to basics blues record. BBC article/interview here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35968182

Since there is no thread for The Rolling Stones chat, we can do that here. Dads can relive their flaming youth by telling us about seeing the Stones in concert and you youngsters can post all your Rolling Stones queries for the :corsair: to answer. Yep, :corsair: is going to come up a lot in this thread.

The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in 1962. They currently consist of Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Ronnie Wood (guitar), Charlie Watts (drums) with extra musicians for tours. They have released about 29 studio albums (depends how you count them) and a whole load of compilations, live albums and concert films. All of the current members have recorded solo/side albums.

Rolling Stones discography:

* The Rolling Stones (1964, UK) / England's Newest Hit Makers (1964, US)
* 12 X 5 (1964, US)
* The Rolling Stones No. 2 (1965, UK) / The Rolling Stones, Now! (1965, US)
* Out of Our Heads (1965, UK) / Out of Our Heads (1965, US)
* December's Children (And Everybody's) (1965, US)
* Aftermath (1966, UK) / Aftermath (1966, US)
* Between the Buttons (1967, UK) / Between the Buttons (1967, US)
* Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)
* Beggars Banquet (1968)
* Let It Bleed (1969)
* Sticky Fingers (1971)
* Exile on Main St. (1972)
* Goats Head Soup (1973)
* It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974)
* Black and Blue (1976)
* Some Girls (1978)
* Emotional Rescue (1980)
* Tattoo You (1981)
* Undercover (1983)
* Dirty Work (1986)
* Steel Wheels (1989)
* Voodoo Lounge (1994)
* Bridges to Babylon (1997)
* A Bigger Bang (2005)
* as yet untitled album (2016(?))

Keith Richards discography:

* Talk is Cheap (1988)
* Main Offender (1992)
* Cross-Eyed Heart (2015)

Mick Jagger discography:

* She's the Boss (1985)
* Primitive Cool (1987)
* Wandering Spirit (1993)
* Goddess in the Doorway (2001)
* Superheavy (2011) as member of "Superheavy"

Ronnie Wood discography:

* I've Got My Own Album to Do (1974)
* Now Look (1975)
* Gimme Some Neck (1979)
* 1234 (1981)
* Slide on This (1992)
* Not for Beginners (2001)
* I Feel Like Playing (2010)

Mick Taylor discography:

* Mick Taylor (1979)
* A Stone's Throw (2000)

Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman have released various live recordings of them playing with their own bands. Brian Jones recorded the Master Musicians of Joujouka but made no solo records. Ian Stewart never recorded any solo material. All members have collaborated with various other groups.

[I'll add lists, links and more info to the OP over the coming weeks]

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I saw them on their Bigger Bang tour in 2005 in college, in the farthest away possible seat in the highest bowl section of a massive stadium. There was a delay between the video on the jumbotron and the audio getting to me. Having said that, it was a boss hogg show and Jagger still had it (and did like 50 costume changes doing it)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I probably saw them on that tour too? They did most of sticky fingers. It was ok. Keith did Little T&A which was good too. Only other time I saw them was Voodoo Lounge tour. I think that's enough Rolling Stones concerts for me. I'd go for free but I'm not paying 90 bucks to sit in the 300 level of a stadium.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
keith richards has done some pretty great stuff with tom waits. these are my Rolling Stones Opinions thanks for reading

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SgtScruffy posted:

I saw them on their Bigger Bang tour in 2005 in college, in the farthest away possible seat in the highest bowl section of a massive stadium. There was a delay between the video on the jumbotron and the audio getting to me. Having said that, it was a boss hogg show and Jagger still had it (and did like 50 costume changes doing it)

Similar situation, next to last row of a packed arena. The band was mostly fine, with Jagger being awesome and singing excellently... when we could hear them. I'm not sure if it was some combination of it being by far the loudest show any of us who attended had ever heard (Before or since), the distant seats, the venue (American Airlines Arena in Miami), or what, but they were extremely muddled and it was hard make sense of some songs, particularly ones we didn't know well. Also, the crowd sang almost every loving word of every loving song, to the point of singing over Jagger more than once.

BigFactory posted:

I'd go for free but I'm not paying 90 bucks to sit in the 300 level of a stadium.

My thoughts exactly. I'd love to see them again, but it'd have to be decent seats in a place that usually has decent sound... which would probably mean a couple hundred bucks a ticket at least, and gently caress that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

VERY COOL MAN posted:

keith richards has done some pretty great stuff with tom waits. these are my Rolling Stones Opinions thanks for reading

I got That Feel, what else did they do together?

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

BigFactory posted:

I got That Feel, what else did they do together?

big black mariah off rain dogs and like half of bad as me

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

VERY COOL MAN posted:

In the Richards documentary on Netflix there were a number of scenes featuring Tom Waits and each time I completely :neckbeard:'ed

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

VERY COOL MAN posted:

big black mariah off rain dogs and like half of bad as me

Haven't heard Bad as Me. Guess I was kinda over tom waits when that came out.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Rolling Stones haven't released much in the last two decades that gives me faith this will be good, but they're also the best rock band of all time so if they wanna coast on their old tunes I'm certainly not gonna complain.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I didn't hear Bridges to Babylon or Bigger Bang. Are either worth checking out? I did like a lot of the tracks at the beginning of Voodoo Lounge so I guess I was just not in CD-buying phases when those two came out.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I would say that there are some tracks on A Bigger Bang that are good and it's worth checking out. Some lyrics are ugh (Sweet Neocon) but their lyrics were never really great to begin with.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I enjoy listening to Let It Loose.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I thought Bridges of Babylon and Voodoo Lounge were both way too long, like they just padded on extra songs to fit a CD, making the overall listen kinda lovely. I do think A Bigger Bang is pretty good. Nothing exceptional, just a good, solid Stones album.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Guess we know which way the Stones are voting this year (though I am not sure where they are domiciled for residency purposes).

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/04/rolling-stones-donald-trump-songs-campaign-events

Can they actually legally prevent Trump using this or is it just a courtesy thing (presuming Trump's campaign pay applicable broadcast/royalty fee)?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

So has anyone heard the new one? Os it any good?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

So has anyone heard the new one? Os it any good?

It's okay. At this point in the Stones' career I'd rather hear them do an album of blues covers than writing new material. By that virtue it's probably my favorite thing they've done since the 80s. Which is damning with faint praise, but still.

Like all Stones albums of the last ~27 years it's too slickly produced for my tastes. I like the Stones to sound a little gritty.

Still the GOAT rock band.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really like the album. It doesn't really change their legacy at all, but it is them just being a good blues band. Eric Clapton's guest spots are also highlights.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Ok. I'll probably get a copy. Are they doing any shows to promote it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Ok. I'll probably get a copy. Are they doing any shows to promote it?

I saw some stuff that they might be doing a tour in Europe this year. They're not really going to be promoting the album though, I'd only expect like 1 or 2 songs from it played at the most since they know that people go to hear the hits.

• Locked thread