Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
What makes you think crimethinc is bad news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Can we please please not turn this fascinating and good thread into a psychiatry debate holy poo poo.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Scudworth posted:

Can we please please not turn this fascinating and good thread into a psychiatry debate holy poo poo.

The OP did it dumbass now let him answer the questions.

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

Mortley posted:

How do you feel about the term "vagabond", OP?

Sure, I mean it basically means wandering around without a home or job. Although I was working off and on throughout my travels, in various ways, I think it's totally appropriate.

Veskit posted:

I'm so confused. Would you not see a therapist because nothing is wrong (though you admitted there is something) or because it's Western?

I just think there is a formula in western medicine that doesn't necessarily synergize with me. That is all.

Scudworth posted:

I agree that this has the potential for a derail. I think that I've taken a stab at answering the question(s) Veksit has posed to the best of my ability, but I'd prefer to not have the next page of dialogue become a debate over approaches to mental wellness. I'm sure there are other threads that address that conversation quite well.

I am not a book posted:

What makes you think crimethinc is bad news?

As far as I understand it, some of the protests and OPs that Crimethinc has 'sponsored' have turned out to be total FBI honeypots and sting operations.

Crimewave fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 10, 2016

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Crimewave posted:

As far as I understand it, some of the protests and OPs that Crimethinc has 'sponsored' have turned out to be total FBI honeypots and sting operations.

Cool, thanks

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Crimewave posted:

Sure, I mean it basically means wandering around without a home or job. Although I was working off and on throughout my travels, in various ways, I think it's totally appropriate.

In this book: https://www.amazon.com/Vagabonding-Uncommon-Guide-Long-Term-Travel-ebook/dp/B000FBFMKM the author Potts suggests a bunch of ways you can work, so I think the term "vagabond(ing)" nowadays is used more when you don't have a career than when you literally never work for money. I think he'd look down on the latter as more a Trustafarian (as in, trust fund hippie) option than as legitimate vagabonding.

I related to your story in a few ways. I wandered around Europe a few times and chose a field that enables/demands moving around a lot (teaching English as a second language) at least in part because of those experiences. But it'd be really hard for me to travel aimlessly through the States.

If you could've afforded a car yourself, would you have wanted one?

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

Mortley posted:

If you could've afforded a car yourself, would you have wanted one?

It was not always a matter of income, because I easily could have afforded car payments, insurance, and so on during periods of my travels.

Cars are a pain in the rear end. Busses and RVs even moreso. I was given a couple of vehicles over the course of time. One was a truck which had been rigged with a welded frame on the bed, which ended up at its highest point standing ~9' tall. It was wrapped in circus tent tarping, and had a "second story" bed, with storage underneath (directly in the bed part of the truck). I painted the truck purple, drove it across country, and ended up gifting to a pregnant traveler couple who, in return, graced me with ~20,000$ worth of hides, leatherworking tools, gems, minerals, and beads/jewelry supplies. I didn't miss the thing one bit after giving it to them.

I was given an RV once, and ended up just parking it on some off-grid land friends were living out of a shack on in Colorado. That thing was a gas guzzling monstrosity. I love being in other peoples RVs or converted busses, but certain maintaining one on your own is a lot of work, and requires a bit of steady investments. I stayed out of that thing with a girl for maybe a few weeks total, before leaving it on the land and instead staying out in the national forestry with our hammocks (as seen in the OP photo). It had some mechanical issues which were hard to pin down, and I almost died driving it down the mountains one time when the brakes went totally out on me. I narrowly dodged driving off the mountain, then reached somewhat level ground while dodging incoming traffic (two way road up the mountain), and eventually reaching a stop after driving up onto a parking strip on the side of the road.

Another vehicle I ended up with was a car with a completely rebuilt engine. A ford taurus, nothing fancy. When I realized my insurance quote was around 200$/month, I may or may not have drove it without insurance until the tires gave way and I just parked on another piece of property out in the country. In school now, and I just take the bus or hitch rides with classmates.

I love vehicles, they are really nice for bringing stuff around with you, and possibly also if you have pets. But they require a lot of money and upkeep, and it's just not something I really have wanted to fuss with much. I'll most likely fix the tires on this car, because I do have a kitty now, and when moving around or traveling between states, I would much rather her be comfortable than not. Who knows how long I'll actually use the thing for. It's just another asset to me, which can be resold if I'm ever in need of money.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Crimewave posted:

I painted the truck purple, drove it across country, and ended up gifting to a pregnant traveler couple who, in return, graced me with ~20,000$ worth of hides, leatherworking tools, gems, minerals, and beads/jewelry supplies. I didn't miss the thing one bit after giving it to them.

How did you cart around $20,000 worth of stuff if you'd just given up your truck? :psyduck:

Also, did you ever spend any extended periods just by yourself? Like, you mentioned camping in a park for 8 months, but taking regular trips into town for food and such. Did you ever spend an extended period in the wilderness completely by yourself, just living off the land and what you took in with you?

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

Captain Bravo posted:

How did you cart around $20,000 worth of stuff if you'd just given up your truck? :psyduck:

Also, did you ever spend any extended periods just by yourself? Like, you mentioned camping in a park for 8 months, but taking regular trips into town for food and such. Did you ever spend an extended period in the wilderness completely by yourself, just living off the land and what you took in with you?

Because I had a friend in Tucson with an RV that I moved into, and then go a lift around in and eventually back to Boulder, Colorado in. Plus, gems and minerals take up little room. Especially the cut stones used in wirewrapping. The silver I got off of them alone totaled quite a bit. The hides I just rolled together and were worth about a grand each. I sold them to various bars that used them as decor.

No, I never stayed alone in the woods for very long, other than a day or so at a time. I was always with friends or girls. I did hitch for stints by myself, many times. But, I wouldn't enjoy just living alone in the national forestry for months on end. I get enough contemplative periods in the cities, and I think it would end up being unhealthy for me, personally, to cut off entirely from people like that. Maybe in some years, when I can setup a cabin out in the forests of Scandinavia. And still, I'd have internet there.

I'm all about survival/primitive skills, and have always gone out of my way to spend time at events with people interested in that stuff. I just haven't ever put myself into a 'survival man' sort of position.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

So what happened with the police beating you up and dropping you off?

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

buddhanc posted:

So what happened with the police beating you up and dropping you off?

Well, I was hanging out with some tweakers in Kansas City, living out of a 1970's Dodge Tradesman, at a Denny's in the middle of a cold winter's night. They invited me to hang out at their folks' house, and although their vibe was certainly sketchy, it was really cold out in my van, so I parked it out front of their place and came inside for the night. The next night, they told me that they had to pick up a speaker from their brothers' place out in the country, which was 40 miles directly out into the prairie.

Upon arriving, the whole attitude of the people was dark. They all had huge bags under their eyes, and were incredibly serious and seemed angry. I immediately wanted to leave, but they said I was stuck until they leave. I'm in the middle of nowhere, with houses spaced out a mile or two between each other. They guide me to the back porch, and all these weird stoner/tweakers shove a glass steamroller pipe into my chest, with a bowl packed with damp looking weed.

I politely decline, but they start talking cryptically about this 'CAT' and with emphasis on each use of that word, they all look directly at me. It was loving bizarre man. They wouldn't take no for an answer, and I felt threatened, so I just hit the pipe. Immediately afterwards, I started hallucinating, and they continued badgering me with this really ill-themed 'cat' story. They basically insinuated that the 'cat' was me, and then talked about 'bringing that white cat down the road, chopping its hands and feet off, and the skinning it before burying it out by the creek'. It was terrible, I was sweating and freaking out for my life. With the laced drugs in my system, they forced me into a different car, and started driving me out into the country, into the opposite direction from where we came from. The car ride was scary, everyone was slouched down, they forced me to sit between two people in the back, and they wouldn't look me in the eyes.

The only building nearby with lights was a small convenience store we came upon. I demanded immediately that we stop and they denied me. I asked again and again and they just ignored my pleas. Then I said I was going to piss my pants, and finally they turned off the road and stopped in front of the station. The dude inside waved to them immediately upon seeing them, and I could tell they all knew each other. Keep in mind, this is like a bum-hosed middle-of-nowhere town where everyone knows everyone.

I went to the bathroom, looking for a way to get out, but there were no windows. They came to the door after a minute and started banging on it demanding we leave. I eventually came out because they said they would just unlock the door. So I get out, and when I get to the porch of the station, I refuse to get into the car. Knowing my uncle was ~20 miles away, I was going to ask to borrow the phone and get a pickup. When I said I wasn't going, two of the dudes tried to grab me and force me into the car. I pulled away, and they went back for me, but at this point the main dude was signaling to the cashier, who gave him a thumbs up and a gentle wave, as if to let him know it was 'okay' and 'they were good to take off'.

I go inside, and politely ask to use the phone to catch a ride, and the dude doesn't even look me in the eyes. He just pulls the phone up in his hand, and dials a number. No kidding -- a local squad car rolls up within 20 seconds. As soon as the cop comes to the door, two more squad cars roll up, and shortly after, an ambulance!?

The cashier knew all these cops, and helped them to encircle me against the front counter. I had my hands up in total submission, and said I was just around some very unsafe people and that I simply wanted to call my uncle to get a ride. I had dreads in my hair, and some hippied out threads. I also had a thimbleful of marijuana on me, in the corner of a cellophane. They demanded for me to hand over anything illegal on my person, and said that things would get much worst if I don't hand it over, since they would be ripping my clothes apart to search me shortly anyhow. I gently pulled the weed out and set it on the counter. Right as I did this, two cops from either side rushed it, grabbed one arm each, threw them behind my back and up towards my neck, semi-dislocating my shoulders. They then threw me flat against the floor, and my chin was busted open. After this, the other cop rushed in, and they organized a straight up hog-tie position, but with a billie club under the backs of my knees, then cuffed both my hands and feet. When they did this, and I didn't realize until later why, they tightened them as tight as they could go, and then rubbed them violently back and forth until I started bleeding. I still have scars from this. This was to make it look as if I'd resisted arrest.

Shortly, my hands and feet turned purple, and I felt like all my bones were breaking. They pushed more and more on my arms/hands, and pushed my legs against the billie club, and began pulling down my pants. At this point, I thought I was about to be raped. I cannot express the terror of this other than explaining what went down. When my pants were down, the EMT came up and proceeded to inject me with a drug that STRAIGHT UP made me hallucinate. It was not a calming drug, it was something really weird that made my heart race and see patterns in everything. It was loving weird.

Then they pulled me up, and let go, but because my hands and feet were mangled and purple, I couldn't stand on my own feet, and fell directly down to the ground. They all laughed their asses off at me, and me chin busted open further. They picked me up, set me on a stretcher which the emt pulled in, and then put me in the back of the ambulance. It's at this point the lead cop comes into the back with me, and they shut the doors. He pulls out a notepad, and turns off the recording on his device. He then tells me that we need to 'get a few things crystal clear here' and then turns it on, and asks me to admit on recording that I resisted arrest. I started crying, and could not answer this pig fucker.

He gets really pissed, and turns off his device again. Then he pulls out some latex gloves and warns me that my life is about to get "really hellish" if I don't do what I'm being told to. So he turns it back on and I sort of say yes, fearing for my life. He then hops out, and they drive me 50 minutes OVER STATE LINES, and drop me off at a hospital in the other state, with NO paperwork, no court date, no charges, nothing.

Seven months later, a police performs a terry stop on me, since I was in the midwest it wasn't unusual to be harassed by them for simply living and breathing and being in public. When he ran my name, and although every check in with the sherrif's office beforehand yielded no warrant, there was a warrant for my arrest on misdemeanor charges of marijuana possession. I was appointed a poo poo attorney, who was buddy buddy with the judge and prosecuting attorney. When I showed up, I started to tell her what happened to me, and she cut me off and threatened that if I didn't plead guilty, I'd be in prison 'for years'. I was scared shitless, and being young and new to the system, thought I was hosed if I tried to fight it. So I plead guilty, and spent over 2,500$ in court fees and 12 months of probation.

Now, if I had of known better at the time, I would have photographed my hands, feets, and face. It was the most terrifying and worst experience of my entire life. And those dudes walk free.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Goddamn that is some intense stuff.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 14, 2016

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Thanks for an interesting thread.

Can you talk about safety as a hitchhiker? Setting aside encounters with hostile police, I would have thought it would be incredibly unsafe, with a near constant danger of being victimized by people offering you a lift. Is there some way you avoided that kind of problem? Or was it just not really an issue in your experience?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Can you talk more about how you ended up in that spot in Roosevelt and why people stay there so long? There's a lot of theories around here that are probably bullshit about why people end up there, just wondering.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Have you read that John Waters book where he tries to hitchhike and fails miserably and it's a terrible book? Have you considered writing a better hitchhiking book?

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

Annual Prophet posted:

Can you talk about safety as a hitchhiker? Setting aside encounters with hostile police, I would have thought it would be incredibly unsafe, with a near constant danger of being victimized by people offering you a lift. Is there some way you avoided that kind of problem? Or was it just not really an issue in your experience?

I was really blessed, and had great rides for the most part.

I have experienced no shortage of stupid, though. One example being that there was this kid who stole the car keys to a truck 8 of us were traveling cross country in, when we were all passed out on a lake we were illegally camping at in Minnesota. We woke up, and were waiting for 4 hours until this kid came back, on foot, explaining that he'd driven the car off, and >into< the lake. These are old mine pits which are now filled with water. Very deep. He convinced the gal who owned it not to report it to the police, and then ditched the group. We were forced to walk out to public areas in order to hitch. And all our poo poo was in the back of the truck (camper shell), so that's all at the bottom of this lake now.

I haven't even heard too many crazy stories from other people, either. I think it really comes down to situational awareness, don't get into a car if you're outnumbered and don't feel comfortable with the people. Carry a weapon, and know how to use it. If you have a phone, take a photo of their license plate, and text it to a friend or trusted person, along with departure and arrival destinations. Listen to your instinct/intuition. That last part might sound hippie-dippy, but the only times I have had issues have been when I had the suspicion of danger, and didn't act accordingly.

A big part of preventing predators from preying on you is by not acting like an easy meal. Sit and interact confidently with them. Don't go overboard and end up scaring them, but be a sturdy presence. Another thing to really take into consideration, is that 99% of the time, just like other situations in life, they are more scared of you than you are of them.

I think hitch hiking was viewed very differently after a very small handful of bad seeds. I think we've culturally shifted a lot in this regard post-Manson Family, and a few other serial-killer style situations. You have to remember that in a country with as many people as we have, those things will just happen from time to time. But it could as easily happen while you're sitting in the comfort of your own home, or out in any public space.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Can you talk more about how you ended up in that spot in Roosevelt and why people stay there so long? There's a lot of theories around here that are probably bullshit about why people end up there, just wondering.

Honestly it's just gorgeous, and I love Nederland. The fact that I have been involved with the Naropa community in Boulder for so many years means that I've spent a lot of time in that part of the country. Hitching up and down the mountains there is very easy. You'll get rides within minutes. I would love to hear more about these theories you've been told, but I could imagine marijuana and rainbow family probably come up?

Every year, in the months around July 4th (when the national Rainbow Gathering occurs), tons of them come through there and live out of the woods. A lot of the local business owners do not care for them, as some have stolen. Most are good about cleaning up the area, but the drunk crustpunks, etc, not so much.

moana posted:

Have you read that John Waters book where he tries to hitchhike and fails miserably and it's a terrible book? Have you considered writing a better hitchhiking book?

I haven't, but really want to now. I love his films.

I have been told that I should. There's certainly no shortage of material there.

Crimewave fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 16, 2016

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crimewave posted:

I have been told that I should. There's certainly no shortage of material there.

You hit it out of the park with that cop story.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
It was interesting, but I'd love to hear more about what you think was motivating the police in that situation, Crimewave.

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

Mortley posted:

It was interesting, but I'd love to hear more about what you think was motivating the police in that situation, Crimewave.

Uhm...classism, and a desire to perpetuate a system of fear and oppression?

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
In defending the actions of violent local meth-heads over the rights of an out-of-towner? Or did they not know that the locals were on meth?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mortley posted:

In defending the actions of violent local meth-heads over the rights of an out-of-towner? Or did they not know that the locals were on meth?

The group of locals were already gone when the cops were called. It was just OP on laced drugs and the locals gas station buddy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Did you just hold on to cash and various...gems I guess, or did you maintain a bank account and stuff?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 19, 2016

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Did you just hold on to cash and various...gems I guess, or did you maintain a bank account and stuff?

I have always refused to open a bank account. Assets for resale are held onto until such time that the money is needed. I've gone around with wads of cash in my pocket, which someone could argue is pretty dumb.

As for the police, it really felt to me that these people all knew each other. But at the same time, Kansas generally blows. The cops are assholes, and I did not belong in that part of the state. The cops out there will always gently caress with anyone who doesn't fit a very specific profile. It's why hitch hikers always try to avoid the state if possible. At least the ones not stopping into Lawrence, KS which is sort of a traveler's mecca in the Midwest.

The only state I've gotten into legal problems is in Kansas.

Crimewave fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 19, 2016

Adequate Panther
Oct 28, 2013

Crimewave posted:

I have always refused to open a bank account. Assets for resale are held onto until such time that the money is needed. I've gone around with wads of cash in my pocket, which someone could argue is pretty dumb.

As for the police, it really felt to me that these people all knew each other. But at the same time, Kansas generally blows. The cops are assholes, and I did not belong in that part of the state. The cops out there will always gently caress with anyone who doesn't fit a very specific profile. It's why hitch hikers always try to avoid the state if possible. At least the ones not stopping into Lawrence, KS which is sort of a traveler's mecca in the Midwest.

The only state I've gotten into legal problems is in Kansas.

I live in Kansas and it does blow, with very few exceptions. What little town were you in/near during this stop?

Some places here are worse than others, but that's loving terrible. In my hometown we had a cop get fired for getting caught planting coke in someones back seat.

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

Adequate Panther posted:

I live in Kansas and it does blow, with very few exceptions. What little town were you in/near during this stop?

Some places here are worse than others, but that's loving terrible. In my hometown we had a cop get fired for getting caught planting coke in someones back seat.

The nearest town I can remember the name of was Paola (where Danny Carey of Tool was born) if I recall correctly...but we were at least 15 minutes out from there, Southwest).

I'm honestly surprised that cop you mentioned got caught, and beyond that, got in trouble. I hardly ever see police being held accountable, even when caught red-handed. Do you have more details about that case?

I suppose I do have a few fond memories of the state, but they were few and far between.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I just had my first hitchhiking adventure this summer, which started with hitching to Vermont for this year's Nationals. I'm 35.

I love this lifestyle.

Bravo, OP, I'm enjoying your answers and narratives. Lovin' you, Brother.

edit: here's a photo set from my travels - https://www.flickr.com/gp/100606059@N08/j4TWr1

I learned a *lot*; there's a lot I'll be doing better next time. I'm eager to learn trainhopping. I'm dreaming now of a setup with a tandem bicycle, a canoe, a trailer, and a way to fit the bike & trailer in the canoe, plus a 4-person tent, a couple hammocks (with mosquito netting) and tarps, etc. I think two able-bodied, clever-minded persons could travel anywhere there's water or pavement.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 1, 2016

Crimewave
Apr 6, 2016

hugbox

Uglycat posted:

I just had my first hitchhiking adventure this summer, which started with hitching to Vermont for this year's Nationals. I'm 35.

I love this lifestyle.

[...]

I learned a *lot*; there's a lot I'll be doing better next time. I'm eager to learn trainhopping. I'm dreaming now of a setup with a tandem bicycle, a canoe, a trailer, and a way to fit the bike & trailer in the canoe, plus a 4-person tent, a couple hammocks (with mosquito netting) and tarps, etc. I think two able-bodied, clever-minded persons could travel anywhere there's water or pavement.

Nice camera. Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. With trainhopping, be sure you network with well-seasoned vets of the rails before getting on one. You can track down, barter for, or be gifted a crew change - but that's useless to you without the practical knowledge of getting on and off safely.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I biked through Kansas this summer on a cross country trip and aside from Lawrence (and Manhattan to an extent), the whole state was a pretty big drag. We had the cops called on us 5 times in 3 days for "blocking traffic". Despite the fact that the roads were pretty empty and everything was flat and visible for 20 miles in every direction. Outsiders are evidently very unwelcome.

"Okay I get it, just bike farther into the shoulder"

"Sir the shoulder is 6 inches wide and mostly a rumble strip. By law we're entitled to 3 feet of roadway."

"Don't make me say it again, boy. Just do it."

Though there was one goofy sheriff's deputy who didn't give a poo poo and was the only one on duty for 50 square miles and let us drive his tricked out dodge charger patrol car as long as we didn't activate the lights.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I'm tryin' to put together a rig now, with a tandem bike, small trailer, and canoe. I figure if you can tow the canoe behind the tandem bike, and fit the tandem bike (and trailer) inside the canoe, you ought be able to travel from South Bend to Montreal to New Orleans and back to South Bend - without burning any fossil fuels.

That's the trip I wanna do next summer (or summer next, if necessary).

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

God Hole posted:

I biked through Kansas this summer on a cross country trip and aside from Lawrence (and Manhattan to an extent), the whole state was a pretty big drag. We had the cops called on us 5 times in 3 days for "blocking traffic". Despite the fact that the roads were pretty empty and everything was flat and visible for 20 miles in every direction. Outsiders are evidently very unwelcome.

It has nothing to do with outsiders and everything to do with bicycles. People hate you if you're riding a bicycle, doubly so if you're doing it on a road. Lawrence is the exception.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tequila Sunrise posted:

It has nothing to do with outsiders and everything to do with bicycles. People hate you if you're riding a bicycle, doubly so if you're doing it on a road. Lawrence is the exception.

Not arguing with you there, we were screamed at in every state we rode through, but all told we had the cops called on us 7 times during the whole trip, 5 of those were in Kansas over the course of three days.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crimewave posted:

I was really blessed, and had great rides for the most part.

A big part of preventing predators from preying on you is by not acting like an easy meal. Sit and interact confidently with them. Don't go overboard and end up scaring them, but be a sturdy presence. Another thing to really take into consideration, is that 99% of the time, just like other situations in life, they are more scared of you than you are of them.

I think hitch hiking was viewed very differently after a very small handful of bad seeds. I think we've culturally shifted a lot in this regard post-Manson Family, and a few other serial-killer style situations. You have to remember that in a country with as many people as we have, those things will just happen from time to time. But it could as easily happen while you're sitting in the comfort of your own home, or out in any public space.

Honestly it's just gorgeous, and I love Nederland. The fact that I have been involved with the Naropa community in Boulder for so many years means that I've spent a lot of time in that part of the country. Hitching up and down the mountains there is very easy. You'll get rides within minutes. I would love to hear more about these theories you've been told, but I could imagine marijuana and rainbow family probably come up?

Good thread, OP. I used to hitchhike in the 70's, used to thumb down I-35 to Austin to clear my head occasionally(never near as committed to it as a lifestyle as you). But I'm gonna pick on you about the Manson comment. They had nothing to do with hitchhiking, and they were publicized mainly because of the celebrity. All kinds of goofy poo poo went on constantly. There was the whole peace/love/dove thing, Vietnam, political leaders getting gunned down, dope, rock n roll- the Mansons were a brief, shabby bit of psycho theater. Not a pivot point.

But, whatever. Attitudes started hardening in the 80's maybe, idk. I'm a more-or-less regular guy now, did the regular life thing But agreed, you'll have adventures and weird rides, meet very interesting people, you'll never ever be in a similar situation again. Times definitely have changed, it seems there's more and worse drugs out there, and more people from hosed-up and fragmented homes, but that's my imho.

Spent some time living literally on the streets of Colo. Springs and Boulder in '76, and that was lovely. Back then, Naropa was founded/run by an evil guy and had bad vibes; that was my take anyway. So we stayed the hell off that mountain. Funny how things change.
This cute little chick sort of plopped down in my lap one day, she was from Connecticut via Athens, Ga. and we ended up going through there and met some of her then-unknown band friends living in farmhouses. I didn't really like their stuff, but enough other people did later on, they got famous. She had a VW bug there with some mechanical problem she "bartered" to get fixed, then lied to me about. That was the beginning of the end for the two of us.
. She's probably got grandkids now, god bless her. I have a whole tribe of them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Why did the people spanging piss you off sometimes? The low effort of it (relative to henna or making jewelry) or was it an attitude thing? I can see it from the other side - pandhandlers in my area routinely ask for "money for food" but will frequently throw away or flat out refuse any food offered to them. I just refuse to give them anything any more, seems some of them see people as a walking ATM and not much else.

Then again, most of those aren't hitchhikers but locals to my area (inner Houston)

Similarly, what makes Houston a bad place? Other than people like me being stingy because the local panhandlers are so drat aggressive.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

God Hole posted:

"Okay I get it, just bike farther into the shoulder"

"Sir the shoulder is 6 inches wide and mostly a rumble strip. By law we're entitled to 3 feet of roadway."

"Don't make me say it again, boy. Just do it."

Though there was one goofy sheriff's deputy who didn't give a poo poo and was the only one on duty for 50 square miles and let us drive his tricked out dodge charger patrol car as long as we didn't activate the lights.

I love this thread. When I get frustrated and annoyed by other parts of the forums and Americans being American, I love reading in here what an utter shitshow the whole country is.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Uglycat posted:

I'm tryin' to put together a rig now, with a tandem bike, small trailer, and canoe. I figure if you can tow the canoe behind the tandem bike, and fit the tandem bike (and trailer) inside the canoe, you ought be able to travel from South Bend to Montreal to New Orleans and back to South Bend - without burning any fossil fuels.

I dunno -- trailers add a bunch of weight and hassle for long bike trips already, and towing a canoe would be pretty nuts. Go for it if you must, but given the timescale of your trip, wouldn't you be better off trading in your bike(s) for the canoe (and vice versa) as you go?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why did the people spanging piss you off sometimes? The low effort of it (relative to henna or making jewelry) or was it an attitude thing? I can see it from the other side - pandhandlers in my area routinely ask for "money for food" but will frequently throw away or flat out refuse any food offered to them. I just refuse to give them anything any more, seems some of them see people as a walking ATM and not much else.

Then again, most of those aren't hitchhikers but locals to my area (inner Houston)

Similarly, what makes Houston a bad place? Other than people like me being stingy because the local panhandlers are so drat aggressive.

Same, can't loving stand them. I love the idea of just scavenging off lovely capitalist society, minimal dwellings and simple lifestyles etc., have friends that ride trains all over the country and are awesome and good people. But it seems like most just want a free buck and they are an rear end in a top hat about it.

I bet the OP lives in Eugene now...

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm the guy who doesn't synergize with medicine who was assaulted by secret police cabals

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
If OP is still alive, did you ever travel in New Mexico? I lived in a party house in Santa Fe and we hosted a bunch of travellers/crusties for like 3-4 months. They seemed to love New Mexico and Santa Fe was a sorta staging ground for California? It was mostly awesome aside from the occasional arcane drama and infighting they had going on. I remember they asked me one time if they could have some rice from my 8$ 10lb bag, I said "yeah take as much as you want" and they almost had tears in their eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Uglycat posted:

You can easily do this without the canoe and that would be a whole hell of a lot less hassle.

• Locked thread