Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

Platforms: PC
Website
Trailer
Download

What is Phantom Block?

quote:

Guide Boomer in his quest to collect coins, travel the world, and defeat mischievous Ballums! Use your mouse to change the world around you into Phantom Blocks with many uses: some blocks let you go through walls, others let you spring high, and some let you switch gravity! You can change the world; see where it takes you!

Phantom Block is a greenlit, independently-developed platformer game for PC, currently in alpha release. Your objective is to guide Boomer, a little red square-guy, across different levels to recollect his scattered treasure. Using your mouse cursor, you can change the landscape around Boomer so that it's easier for him to progress, by making some tiles intangible to making some sticky to even creating magnets and reversing gravity.

Learn the Blocks:
Ghost Block: Make the world intangible with the Ghost Block! Pass impenetrable barriers, dig under the ground, and even make enemies fall straight through the world.
Spring Block: Bounce to new heights with the Spring Block! Hit it from higher or at speed to jump really far!
Gum Block: Stick to walls with the Gum Block! Climb tall towers and keep yourself anchored when the environment isn't so friendly.
Speed Block: Dash with the Speed Block! Beat quick-lever timers and outrun your enemies - so long as they're not on the Speed Blocks, too!
Magnet Block: Attract and repel with the Magnet Block! Shift between attraction and repel with Tab, and use it to hover over spikes or cling to ceilings.
Platform Block: Create new footholds with the Platform Block! But be careful: they only last for a short while, and if you're over a bottomless pit..
Rotate Block: Swap gravity with the Rotate Block! Not only can Boomer shift his own gravity, but he can shift the gravity of enemies, too - send them falling through the sky!
Weight Block: Squash enemies with the Weight Block! You can also use it to weight down switches, neutralize spikes, or even go ice skating if the surface is slippery enough!

Characters, Items, and Hazards:
Boomer: He's the main character. He's a Blockly, a sentient lil' rectangle with the power to change the world around him with a thought, so long as he as the appropriate powerup badge on hand. When the Ballums steal all his coins, ruining his plans for a dream vacation, he springs into action.
Ballums: They're the bad guys. They are blue, and very bouncy. They are also good for holding down switches.
Coins: Collect these to gain access to new levels! You need a certain amount before new worlds will open up.
Iron Blocks: Boomer can't change these ones. Iron must be too dense or something.
Boxes: Boomer can carry these, push these, or even ride on top of them.
Switches: Weigh down switches with boxes or Ballums to activate certain objects, like Lock-Blocks.

...And more, which I won't spoil.

What People Are Saying:

quote:

I think the game is brilliant. The gameplay is magnetic: it pulled me in from the first frame.

quote:

It’s a very polished platformer, and the level design is excellent. The music is catchy, and the visuals are bright, vibrant, and overall very aesthetically pleasing.

quote:

Really impressive set of mechanics. This is a lot of fun and would certainly scratch anyone's itch to play an old school platformer.

How do you know about this game? It seems esoteric.
I'm the game's lead developer, as well as composer.

You shill!
No, not at all! It's only shilling if you get caught if you're asking for money, right?

But seriously though, as the developer of this game it's my job not only to make the game proper, but get people excited about it. Our next update will probably include a level editor to make new levels with, which you guys can share in this thread. I'm also around in case people want to ask questions, or if they have suggestions, comments, or concerns.

Beginner's Tips:
- If you're not a fan of the WASD controls, you can change the controls in the Options menu on the level select screen.
- If you want to change a whole group of blocks at once, you don't have to click for each one; just hold down the mouse button.
- If you can't find a way to progress, try using your blocks in unconventional ways. You may discover the intended solution, or maybe even one I haven't thought up.
- Collect all the coins if you can, but don't worry if some are too difficult to reach. You can always come back and try again later, and level unlocking doesn't take that many coins.
- Levels that appear to the left on the level select screen are easier than ones that appear to the right. If you encounter a mechanic that you're not sure how it works, maybe an earlier level you skipped explained it.

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Post reserved for other things as needed.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
This is a pretty kick rear end platformer, the mechanics are fun and interesting, the music is rockin, and there is a vvvvvv cheat, completely worth the download!

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

MithosKuu posted:

This is a pretty kick rear end platformer, the mechanics are fun and interesting, the music is rockin, and there is a vvvvvv cheat, completely worth the download!

Thanks! VVVVVV cheat was the first cheat I came up with, actually.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
From what I've played,of the earlier builds, this is a fun little platformer. I do recommend checking it out and giving it a try. Oh and there's a little dev blog thing in the LP subforum if any of you are interested in seeing how the game develops.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i downloaded this on a whim and it's actually insanely good. the camera feels a little janky at times, like it follows your movements a bit TOO well so it sorta snaps back and forth a lot when you're walking left and right a lot, but otherwise I love it. thanks for posting it!

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Countblanc posted:

i downloaded this on a whim and it's actually insanely good. the camera feels a little janky at times, like it follows your movements a bit TOO well so it sorta snaps back and forth a lot when you're walking left and right a lot, but otherwise I love it. thanks for posting it!

Camera's something we're working on right now. It used to be worse (camera would get stuck in bad places).
Thank you for the praise, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Working on a new level that lets you rotate around segments of the level like a 15-puzzle; having trouble getting everything to work after deaths though. I'm going to have to add a checkpoint after every swap.

• Locked thread