Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I stopped working at a place back in 2006. I have some money in a retirement fund there that hasn't changed much since I left. I want to take that money and put some use to it right now, as it's not gaining anything where it's at but they are telling me I will not see a penny of that poo poo until I retire at 65.

Everyone I've talked to said that's not correct but these motherfuckers are holding that line. Are any of you guys smart in the field of financials and can you tell me if this is bullstuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
You can get half of it. That's basically the penalty for early withdrawal. Don't do it.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I'd imagine being poor now is better than being poor when you can't work. Don't take out the money, OP.

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

You can get half of it. That's basically the penalty for early withdrawal. Don't do it.

This is correct. The immediate taxes you will pay plus the early withdrawal penalty of 10%+ will leave you with half. Best thing you can do is roll it over into an IRA. They may let you take a loan against the funds if you really need it, but you will have to pay it back like any other loan.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
they were right OP..

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Bullshit op. Forget what these squares are telling ya. If you can get your hands on that cash I bet you could concoct a scheme to easily quadruple your money in under 6 months. It's your money, use it when you need it™

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's my money and I want it now!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

"See those apples on that tree? They're just hanging there, not doing anything for me. I'm gonna put them in that basket over there, that's much smarter."

-OP

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
How much are we talking here anyway?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Leon Einstein posted:

How much are we talking here anyway?

$420.69!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
all you have to do is take out a cash-for-gold leveraged option on your future retirement upside, swing the vig with a Bahaman shell swap and draw down the principal on anime and lottery tickets

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
It's around $4200, and it's been about that since 2006. I found out today that basically, since the company I worked for put the money there, they get to decide when I have access to it. I was just going to use it to put a down payment on a vehicle but it's not really a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Either you're vested or not. I don't get how they can control the money otherwise

• Locked thread