Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Well howdy and I'm back from the past. Apologies to all who were following the other thread, as you can imagine juggling a young child and a house renovation can be tough.
Trying to get time to work on demolition or even simple decoration is vastly more difficult when there is a rugrat vying for your attention. In the last year I have also changed jobs, I worked for CH2M Hill in Edinburgh and as luck would have it, they decided to close the office due to the huge costs and make everyone work from home, I stuck that for 4 months and had to change jobs. As much as I like my house, being there all day is hell. I now work back in Edinburgh and commute, so by the time i get home at night, feed the family and put the wee one to bed, it's seven o'clock and I just want to sit in my butt and watch TV

However, I have this week off and I promised myself that I would dig deep and get this show on the road again so to continue where I left off, the front upper bedroom.

Remember this. Wallpaper everywhere, walls, doors, surprised they didn't do the windows.

Turns out there was more than one layer of wallpaper though, indeed there were 5 layers of paper, the very last one was a hand painted design, I'm guessing it was from the thirties. Most of it came off easily, the paper that had been painted over was a bit more stubborn took a bit more effort, and that's when I lost the will to live. :)

Turning my attention to the polystyrene ceiling tiles, this happened;

and I went to contemplate my next move , which incidentally was this ;

Having bitten off more than I was prepared to chew, I though about how i was going to fix this, boy oh boy talk about being out of your depth. So I ordered one of these, some drywall, some coving, some eco wool insulation and a big bucket of drywall screws.

The worst was already done, the awful old plaster, the dust and the itchyness of it all, The lath was then taken down carefully (i can use it as kindling for the burner) and so to begin putting up the new ceiling.
To be fair the job was made easier with the lift 8'x4' sheets of drywall are to heavy for me to lift on my own and I have no other help so I had to just get on. I forgot to mention I had to take all the old coving out as it was too far gone, unfortunately it was bonded to the wall as it was cast in place some time ago.

So to recap, remove old wallpapers, remove ceiling tiles, remove old plaster, remove lath, install insulation, fit new drywall, patch plaster up to new ceiling, install new coving,fill sand paint ad infinitum. eventually you end up with something that looks a lot better.The keen eyed will spot that I've opend the space above the wardrobes for storage, just need to make doors for the space.

The end result is this, apologies for the stark whiteness, this is just the base coat, the wife will be choosing wallpaper and paint for here. Ignore the large patch in the wall, I had a bit off and accident falling off the ladder :0

It feels good to be back :)

Tiglath III fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hello again, glad you're still at it and not just resigned to live in a building site as some people end up doing. Also congrats on being brave enough to take plastering a ceiling.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
This last week has been good, having time to get on with some of the renovation whilst the kid is at nursery helps a lot.
Living with a building site is a nightmare I can't deny that, but when you can see some progress then you know it will all come to an end sooner or later.

There have been little jobs done between the last thread closure and this one but nothing really making a huge impact. We hired another dumpster to clear some space and filled it in two hours! We have had some trees cut down, I've pulled down one of the storage areas in the garden, the wife has done some extensive trimming in the garden too. I need to do some brickwork to the garage as the winter storms caused a bit of damage, I now need to learn how to rebuild a wall using bricks from the 1800's and lime mortar.

I have cleanup to do upstairs and I can turn my attention to the downstairs, there are three rooms to do, the dining room, surgery and main living room, I have some ideas for these but ultimately its her indoors who will decide the final look. I'll just make sure its prepped for decor.

Oh and I still need to come up with something for the boys room, he likes Pirates, Batman and the film Cars, Its going to be quite a year :)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm glad to see you're back, I like seeing the things that you've done with the house.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Sometimes I think this room is trying to grind me down, every step forward is followed by at least two backwards, however I seem to have broken the back of it and am now facing the home stretch. I've had a couple of days to wrestle (literally) with the walls and the wallpaper and this is the result, apologies for the mess, I'm not a tidy worker :) The Wallpaper is yet more of Laura Ashley's range, it was supposed to be expensive, but we got it on sale years ago, fortunately there was enough for this room.

I only need to figure out what finish the doors will have as they definitely need covered with something.

I've added the storage above the wardrobes and have only to finish off the insides and the facings, solves a nice little storage issue. Happy with the way it's turned out.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I happened upon these threads yesterday, read through them, and you have done a fantastic job. Very impressive and such a great home you have. Thanks for sharing your progress for our enjoyment. I can't wait to see the flooring in (and that bathroom is gorgeous, also looking forward to kitchen).

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Wow, that's a really lovely colour on the walls!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

With that red and white I'd do the doors in a white semi-gloss enamel. Something like Sherwin Williams' ProClassic.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Calling this room done, its been a long slog but I've got there in the end. I like how it has turned out. The curtain tie backs have still to go on because the hooks i have are too small but i'll sort that later.

Furniture goes in tomorrow and I can move on to the next room.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tiglath III posted:

Calling this room done, its been a long slog but I've got there in the end. I like how it has turned out. The curtain tie backs have still to go on because the hooks i have are too small but i'll sort that later.

Furniture goes in tomorrow and I can move on to the next room.

That's a strikingly pretty room. Can you post some photos of other rooms finisher earlier, since the old thread is gone?

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I think the original thread is still around on page 5. Unless it's only myself that can view it. Thanks for the compliment too, I need a push to get some stuff done.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
You're right, it was still around on pg 4. I just reread it, it's amazing how much you've done over the time. I can't wait to see how the outdoors and the rest of the house are. How's your son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
We are all doing well, the Boy is currently in the terrible two's. Hilarious at times and also quite hard to deal with at others. He's turning out to be quite the little character though, he loves reading and being read to and is discovering all the things I dislike (Disney movies lol) On the plus side he really likes motorcycles which is fine by me.

Stay tuned as I am about to start on the Drawing Room (Living Room) area, I'm going to go for a similar look as the red bedroom, hopefully it should take me less time.
The wife and I have been discussing the kitchen area and as it is a rebuild, rather than refresh, we will get someone in to deal with it. I'll keep you all up to date with things as they progress.

Enjoy the weekend folks and thanks for the support.

• Locked thread