Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

The Night Manager is a six part espionage drama miniseries starting on AMC next week. It's based on a novel by John le Carré (who also wrote Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy among a host of other espionage novels that have been adapted to screen) and was co-produced by the BBC.

It stars Tom Hiddleston (Loki from the Marvel universe films) and Hugh Laurie (Dr House MD).

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJ3lu03jug&hd=1

Being a primarily British series, it's already aired in England and other parts of the world. And it's excellent. Here's some quotes from the wikipedia page:

quote:

“One of the greatest series of all time”.
- The Sun

"It is more than 20 years since the novel was published, and in that time two film companies have tried and failed to adapt it, concluding that it was impossible to compress into two hours. But this six-hour television adaptation is long enough to give the novel its due."
- The Daily Telegraph

"The Night Manager is as sexed up as television drama comes. In Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie it has bona fide international stars; in John Le Carre's source novel it has a pedigree of untouchable grandeur. The palette is as sumptuous as one of our hero Jonathan Pine's beautiful hotels."
- The Guardian

Anyway, it's really good. I just finished watching it and noticed there wasn't a thread for it here and that it's about to start airing in the US. So here's a thread. You should watch it!

monkeu fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this show is some good poo poo.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The BBC version is 6 parts, I believe the version shown on AMC will be 8 parts due to commercials. Anyway yeah it's a really good show.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Wandle Cax posted:

The BBC version is 6 parts, I believe the version shown on AMC will be 8 parts due to commercials. Anyway yeah it's a really good show.

That's a loving travesty. Which episodes are they planning on butchering? All of them?

Edit: the AMC website says six episodes so hopefully a false alarm? http://www.amc.com/shows/the-night-manager/exclusives/about-the-show

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Is it going to be on Hulu or Netflix or anything for us plebs without cable?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
It's really good, really compelling. And the whole cast is great.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Astrofig posted:

Is it going to be on Hulu or Netflix or anything for us plebs without cable?

I don't know anything for certain, but AMC stuff usually ends up on Netflix and BBC stuff usually ends up on Netflix too, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance that it will after it finishes airing.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Just watched the first episode and left extremely disappointed. The cinematography was unappealing, the pacing glacial, everything was angsty and annoying, the plot was kind of weird and uninteresting, and the romance/whatever-it-was at the beginning felt completely forced and downright disturbing. Not going to watch the remainder of the episodes. Great acting by Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston, but they couldn't salvage this. No idea how this got such good reviews. Boring and annoying.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

PederP posted:

Just watched the first episode and left extremely disappointed. The cinematography was unappealing, the pacing glacial, everything was angsty and annoying, the plot was kind of weird and uninteresting, and the romance/whatever-it-was at the beginning felt completely forced and downright disturbing. Not going to watch the remainder of the episodes. Great acting by Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston, but they couldn't salvage this. No idea how this got such good reviews. Boring and annoying.

Wow it sounds like AMC must have completely rewritten and reshot the first episode. Or maybe you came into this expecting Burn Notice or Hawaii Five-0 when this is a character driven espionage drama?

Quincyh
Dec 24, 2011

He's stolen the fire chief's hat!

PederP posted:

If it helps, I wasn't totally blown away by the first ep, but it REALLY picked up after that and I thoroughly enjoyed the series as a whole.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's a bit unfair to judge the whole thing just on the first episode when it's pretty much all setup for the remaining five. I really enjoyed this for the most part and it was compelling enough to marathon through. At first it was hard to buy Hugh Laurie as a villain because I grew up with A Bit of Fry and Laurie and Blackadder and thought House MD was garbage, but he ends up delivering. Dude can be creepy as all hell. Hiddleston I've never been a huge fan of and he comes across as pretty drat bland for the most of it but it works when he's playing second fiddle to Laurie or Holland (who loving ruled in this). Olivia Colman was great too but that's almost pointless to say since she's great in everything.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this is pretty dumb, but Laurie's character name being Richard Roeper is annoying the hell out of me.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The first episode is definitely the weakest. It's the least connected and serves to get most of the exposition and backstory for the actual story arc done. That said, it's a slow burn series with moments of intensity. If you need everything to be a tight, fast paced package, this isn't going to appeal to you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

There is a stunning lack of intro sequence gifs in this thread. Time to rectify that.

Very nicely done.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just watched this, it's amazing. Of course I knew it would be with Hiddleston and Laurie.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I made it about 30 minutes into the first episode before I stopped watching and considered deleting it from my DVR because of how terribly boring it was. I wasn't expecting spoon-fed, canned action (because I hate that crap), but could've used something akin to the pilot of Justified or Luther to have me staring at the screen.

The only reason I made it to episode two is The People's Couch, which did a riff of it and fast-forwarded through the rest to show me what happened in about 4 minutes, and it's gone from "tedious" to "alright".

e- Never mind, I'm glad I stuck with this.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 1, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How is this show not getting more love?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I thought it was great.

After the finale, I read some of the changes from the novel; honestly the novel sounds dreary and annoying, but I suppose that's Le Carre.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

This show was dumb as hell, but it was enjoyable enough in a pulpy way. RIP Dickie Roper, you were really stupid and now you're dead.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Amusing this was adapted from a novel series that a DS9 episode took its title from (and loosely the period setting) :) Is there any more planned?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I may have missed it, but where did the 300 million end up?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
The finale was confusing as gently caress. Pine begins this show as a night manager in Cairo and meets Roper, et al there. In the finale Pine tells them he had never been to Cairo, etc. There were a ton of small bits like this throughout the show.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I may have missed it, but where did the 300 million end up?

with pine?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

The finale was confusing as gently caress. Pine begins this show as a night manager in Cairo and meets Roper, et al there. In the finale Pine tells them he had never been to Cairo, etc. There were a ton of small bits like this throughout the show.

No, the first bit with Freddy was in Cairo, and while Roper was there they never met. He met Roper and his entourage in Switzerland later on (when he's approached to be a spy), and they explicitly say that he had left Cairo off of his CV because of everything that went down.

The only person he was worried might recognize him was Freddy, and he eventually did. Hence the murder.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

No, the first bit with Freddy was in Cairo, and while Roper was there they never met. He met Roper and his entourage in Switzerland later on (when he's approached to be a spy), and they explicitly say that he had left Cairo off of his CV because of everything that went down.

Guess I missed that bit, thanks

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

"Iseeyouseemeseeyou" posted:

with pine?

I wasn't sure if he kept it, or if he had to turn it over to the government.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CBJSprague24 posted:

I made it about 30 minutes into the first episode before I stopped watching and considered deleting it from my DVR because of how terribly boring it was.

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Never mind, I'm glad I stuck with this.

johnlecarré.txt

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ending spoilers ahead:

In my head-canon Pine hid away the money from anyone else. Le Carré's thing is how there are no flawless people and Pine is far too perfect as superficially portrayed. His murder-by-proxy of Roper is another aspect of Pine's inner monster - no-one walks away with clean hands here so I have no problems imagining that he set up his own nest egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Jack of Hearts posted:

johnlecarré.txt

Really enjoyed the show, binged through the first couple episodes then live watched the rest. Basically a six hour movie (minus commercials) with fantastic actors based on a great spy novel written by one of the best in the genre. On basic cable, go figure.

Edit:

monkeu posted:

.... and was co-produced by the BBC.

Makes sense now.

• Locked thread