Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

HotAndColdAF posted:

That invasion, haha, holy poo poo, I've never seen that happen before.
All the player phantoms since the beginning of session 8 also didn't have animations and zipped around like that invader. The fact that their animations wouldn't load but Dazz's did makes me think something magical happened server-side. :allears:

Miacis fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
So, what happens when you do choose a world without fire?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Nektu posted:

So, what happens when you do choose a world without fire?

In due time! In due time! The choice has no real gameplay ramifications. The music in firelink changes to a different (and in my opinion, much better) track if you show the firekeeper the eyes, regardless of what you choose to answer, so there's no reason not to do it. It adds some much needed pathos and gravity to the game's final stages.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Odd thing about that dark Firelink is that it's the same physical location in the game as the normal Firelink. If you drop a message in one of the shrines and warp to the other one, that message will show up in both locations. If you use a no-clip hack to get up the back wall of the game's starting room, you can actually walk backward into the Consumed King's boss room, and if you go back the way you just came from the game will dump you out in the Untended Graves. I find it interesting from a mechanical standpoint, and the implications of dark Firelink story-wise are interesting indeed.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
As much as I enjoyed all the throwbacks to Demon's Souls that this game has, "gimmicky dragon boss fight" was one that they probably could have left out.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know... it took me a couple of tries to figure out what was going on, but after that I actually really enjoyed that fight.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

how's my dazz impression looking?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, I was stressing that whole episode about whether she would get her billions of souls back and remember to go spend them.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

That's uncanny!

Sorry, that was updated late last night and I was too sleepy to make a post about it.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
So are you pretty well through this playthrough or is there a chance of jolly co-op?

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

That's uncanny!

Sorry, that was updated late last night and I was too sleepy to make a post about it.

''s cool, I just really enjoy the LP and figured I could fanart/update notice.

Fasdar posted:

So are you pretty well through this playthrough or is there a chance of jolly co-op?

Not sure about the informational, but the blind playthrough was a thing she streamed right after release and definitely cannot be joined in on.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

this fight makes me disoriented

Fasdar posted:

It's not out of the question for my second run, though these things are always difficult to organize.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Dazzling Addar posted:

this fight makes me disoriented

It's not out of the question for my second run, though these things are always difficult to organize.

"Is this safe? it doesn't look safe" *gets hit by lightning* "Welp."

Bout sums up my first run of that boss.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

"At the very least he doesn't seem to have mountains of health."

oh no

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I mean, the moment you see a guy standing on top of a thing it's basically a given that it's a multi-stage boss. Ironic that it's actually harder to fight a largish human than a largish human on DRAGONBACK.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

prepare yourselves for a fight to the finish

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
So, since the first DLC will probably be released while this LP (the non-blind part anyway) is still going, are you planning to do a blind run of the DLC as well? Because that would make me quite happy :)

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

So I sort of let time get away from a bit the last couple of days, but here are the last 3 episodes of the blind run.

Episode 58

Episode 59

Episode 60

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Dazzling Addar posted:

So I sort of let time get away from a bit the last couple of days, but here are the last 3 episodes of the blind run.

Episode 58

Episode 59

Episode 60

Congrats on beating the game (the first time), now I'll be watching your smart-person run!

How much do you feel you missed on the blind run in terms of content? Obviously the fireworm hellhole was a bit... underexplored.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Congrats on beating the game (the first time), now I'll be watching your smart-person run!

How much do you feel you missed on the blind run in terms of content? Obviously the fireworm hellhole was a bit... underexplored.

She mentioned it in the non-blind run, but she also managed to miss almost every NPC storyline. Hawkwood's reached the conclusion... except she didn't remember who he was.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

In terms of of areas explored and bosses fought, I actually got through about 95% of the game with the things I've learned from other games, player messags, and the occasional helpful suggestion from the chat. If somebody hadn't suggested I check out that weird cliff area in the dungeon again I probably would have missed Archdragon Peak entirely. As Jalathas mentioned, though, I missed or screwed up basically every NPC quest except for Hawkwood, who perplexes me with his general irrelevance to anything to this day. I think my favorite instance of this is how when I met Yoel, I thought to be terribly clever and get the maximum value out of free level ups by saving them for late in the game, and in doing so, completely missed both free stats and the appearance of Yuria of Londor. Value Town can be a lonely place sometimes.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Dazzling Addar posted:

Value Town can be a lonely place sometimes.

You got greedy.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I was thinking the world seemed awful lonely after the first few major areas. You seem to bump in to NPC's every 20 minutes for the first few hours then after that the only interaction is back at the private treehouse (and that's mostly just using vendors).

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
It'd be great if From decides to make their next game set in a world that's, I dunno, somewhat still alive. Their formula so far is pretty strong but it hints at a lot of talent for characterization and world-building that might deserve some explicitness.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Hey Dazz, if I wanted to get in touch with you in a non-public manner what's the best way to do that? I see you don't have PMs.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Hey Dazz, if I wanted to get in touch with you in a non-public manner what's the best way to do that? I see you don't have PMs.

Um, I guess the best way would be to DM me on twitter. The info is in the OP.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
So is the non-blind LP still gonna happen? Do the thing! :slick:

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I took a bit of time off after the blind run finished to take stock of things. I still intend on finishing the thread, of course, but as this episode will show you, Grave Misfortune has visited the land of Lothric.

My trek through the smouldering lake ruins is. Legendarily bad. I'm still working on how to make it remotely watchable.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dazzling Addar posted:

Um, I guess the best way would be to DM me on twitter. The info is in the OP.

Apparently I can only DM you if you follow me back. I'm @GOKUHARAM.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Hey hey, everybody, I did a blind stream of Ashes of Ariandel, the new DLC pack that just came out of nowhere. It's a bit long, but I went through the whole dang thing. Hopefully this might tide you over until I can get that sweet sweet Smouldering Lake disaster rolling.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts on the DLC, Dazz? I'm not going to watch the video until I've played it myself (or decided not to). I've heard it's pretty dang short for the asking price, when we got Artorias of the Abyss for almost the same amount of money a few years ago.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

Thoughts on the DLC, Dazz? I'm not going to watch the video until I've played it myself (or decided not to). I've heard it's pretty dang short for the asking price, when we got Artorias of the Abyss for almost the same amount of money a few years ago.

Why, I do indeed have a great many thoughts on Ashes of Ariandel. I'll try to speak in broad strokes so as not to spoil anything.

To begin with, yes, it is quite short and sparse for 15 dollars. It's also frustratingly safe, with no new ideas or gameplay concepts to speak of. I have no complaints about overall competency, except perhaps that I'm growing tired of Fromsoft's inability to ship a stable product. Ariandel is very literally another painted world, without the odd surrealism that made Ariamis memorable. Everything about AoA feels like it was cribbed from some other Souls property, which each area having alarmingly clear stylistic progenitors. Granted, as this is at the very end of the series, it has become more difficult to avoid reiteration. Ultimately, Ariandel feels unnecessary, another Eleum Loyce or Boreal Valley except executed less well. It is somehow simultaneously overloaded with boss fights and utterly lacking in them, mostly because of how preposterously long the flagship battle of the DLC is and how derivative the other one feels. It's honestly just really incohesive, both narratively and in terms of gameplay. There's some neat weapons here and there, but they suffer problems that really should have been fixed at launch in terms of how split damage is calculated and unworkable generalist stat requirements. They try to evoke the feel of trick weapons with stance weapon arts, but they're mostly just bad with an alternative mode that is also kind of bad, but at least novel. I feel like a lot of the weapons here were designed almost specifically for PvP, which is fair, given that the undead arena or whatever is a touted feature. I haven't felt compelled to dabble with that yet because honestly I feel like if it's not weirdly asymmetric and janky, souls multiplayer PvP isn't worth bothering with for the most part.

Now, this is mostly just first impressions based on the 6 hours I streamed. I haven't done the necessary research to categorically say that X weapon is bad because of X stat weights and X scaling. That I could be extremely wrong about, and I'm sort of hoping that my gut instinct was mistaken because a lot of them are quite cool conceptually. I also have some words to say about the Lore, but I think I should let that percolate for now, given how it has only been out for a couple of days.

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was beginning to think I was the only one who took 5+ hours to beat the DLC.

Regarding your thoughts on the DLC, I agree with your general sentiment that it doesn't really bring anything new to the table. I would say the only really novel thing it has is the AI of the wolves; they actually behave kind of like wolves would, hanging back and circling around for an opening, and avoiding attacking until they've brought the whole pack over. Otherwise it's just another ice level with good level design, but nothing truly special. You bring up Eleum Loyce as unnecessary but I'd say that at least that had a pretty novel gimmick with you going through the level twice after it's altered by the fading of the ice storm, gathering help to stand a chance against the final boss which had a unique gimmick, was still a proper fight, and had some cool lore connotations.

About the weapons, having played around with them a little I'd say they're overall pretty good and improve the player's arsenal but they still seem like From has no idea how to actually balance the poo poo in their games. The split-damage thing you mentioned which tanks one weapon's potential, and another that's pretty much the shittiest one of its class with a unique skill of dubious use. They just seem to throw poo poo at a wall and hope it sticks when designing weapons.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 28, 2016

• Locked thread