Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Problem description:

So, I'm having a problem while playing Dark Souls 3, randomly (some times it takes hours, other times just a few minutes) the vide-card crashes and my monitor stops getting the video signal (the light in it starts to blink like the when only the monitor is on but the computer is off) but I still hear some windows sounds so the game probably crashed but something is still happening in windows.

Is it possible for a game to do this ? Or is it probably a hardware problem?

- This didn't happen while playing Dragon Age: Inquisition or Dota 2
- The video-card is barely a month old

I'd like to know if there's a way to test the card to know if it's a hardware problem or if it's only DS3-based
I tried to use 3dmark but from the GPU-z logs it uses less memory than DS3 so I don't know if the problem is memory based. (And the better version of 3dmark is paid :( )

GPU-z log from the final moments before two different crashes
http://hastebin.com/dinukazagi.css
http://hastebin.com/sabemejixe.css

GPU-z log sample from the 3dmark test
http://hastebin.com/ucodiwuwid.css

Attempted fixes: Tried running 3dmark to stress the card and replicate the problem but everything was fine

Recent changes: Problem started when I upgraded my card from gtx 570 to gtx 970 and playing Dark Souls 3 (didn't play with older card)

---

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: Asus PBz77 -v LX2
RAM: Corsair XMS 3 2x4GB
HDD: Seagate 1 TB - Model ST1000DM003-1CH162
Video Card: Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970 (GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5)
PSU: Corsair CX600

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, only found some people saying to RMA, but since the problem seems to be related to one game I'd like to try something else at least for a few days :shobon:
People are complaining about some crashes, but nothing like what happens here, if it was crashing to desktop I would be worried but the black screen is strange

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
Dark Souls 3 has been doing that to a bunch of people, myself included. If you can be bothered, you might want to wade through all the shitposting in the discussion thread on Steam about the technical issues for that game.

I thought for sure it had to be my video card, but in the Steam thread I noticed other people were saying it was straight up crashing their GPU and nothing short of a hard reset would bring their machines back up so I'm waiting for a patch before I RMA mine. I've only had mine since February and it's run GTA5 for hours and hours with no problems so I'm pretty sure it's just Dark Souls 3.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
For what it's worth, I've been having the exact same problem with an old AMD card only when running Path of Exile. It may be a Windows 10 specific thing?

• Locked thread