Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

I thought it was a great chapter. The directors reveal, and Kyouka's conclusion were both executed very well. I like that they went with a happier ending than the setup would have suggested.

Yeah, the whole time I was wondering are they really going to do that? Because I was expecting some last minute save but could also see maybe committing to it. So many reveals in the last 2-3 chapters though, I was glad to find out all that stuff but thought also maybe some of that could have come out sooner instead of the reader being in the dark so much. Seeing everything from Atsushi's POV limits how much can be revealed though, so it does make sense on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm dying

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

No more manga chapters unless another group takes up the task, because it's been licensed :toot:
also I'm a month late on that news

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/750068263686516737

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

i want a season 2

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

i want a season 2

it's coming

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just started watching the first season. So far its entertaining nothing mindblowing. As everything with Bones it looks great and feels really smooth.
From the first few episodes its kinda weird with its tone shifts. It seems really lighthearted with lots of joking going around with Dazai/Kunikida but then suddenly we get lots of violent scenes. I don't get literary references or w.e but its an interesting concept. Also is it me or the ed is really amazing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ulio posted:

I just started watching the first season. So far its entertaining nothing mindblowing. As everything with Bones it looks great and feels really smooth.
From the first few episodes its kinda weird with its tone shifts. It seems really lighthearted with lots of joking going around with Dazai/Kunikida but then suddenly we get lots of violent scenes. I don't get literary references or w.e but its an interesting concept. Also is it me or the ed is really amazing.
:yeah:
It does kinda give you some tone whiplash, the silliness got played up for the anime I think but it settles in as the season goes on imo. I think overall the concept is silly enough in itself that if it went totally serious and grim it would just end up ridiculously up its own rear end, so I'm glad it never takes itself too seriously even when the bad poo poo is going down.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 8, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there any need for a new thread for season 2?
I can put a link in the OP for season 2 discussion when it starts so people can skip over all the S1 stuff and manga spam if they want and I'll add some S2 details when it's closer to time.

Also another group picked up the manga so translations continue but I'm trying to be good and not read them so I can switch over to the official releases when they come out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Everything Burrito posted:

Is there any need for a new thread for season 2?
I can put a link in the OP for season 2 discussion when it starts so people can skip over all the S1 stuff and manga spam if they want and I'll add some S2 details when it's closer to time.

Also another group picked up the manga so translations continue but I'm trying to be good and not read them so I can switch over to the official releases when they come out.

Yeah a link for the start of season 2 discussion sounds good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the season 2 PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeX94e7V0_w

Gives you a good look at the new characters

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

So... any thoughts on season 2 so far? I think the op is implying that we're focusing on Dazai's past for a while, which is interesting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

So... any thoughts on season 2 so far? I think the op is implying that we're focusing on Dazai's past for a while, which is interesting.

It's interesting how few punches they've been pulling. It also, while giving us some insight into Dazai, makes him even more enigmatic in some ways. Dazai's treatment of Akutagawa is really hosed up; it's extra hosed up that he's still, on some level, seeking Dazai's approval after that. It's also made clear that the Port Mafia, even before Akutagawa started running their operations in Yokohama (or whichever city BSD takes place in), was a brutal criminal organization; Oda was really the only "good guy" in the group. It's interesting that Dazai doesn't seem to feel any remorse about his actions in the Port Mafia (he seemed more amused than worried by the prospect of Kunikida finding out he used to be a Port Mafia executive).

While Dazai has never really been as suicidal as he claims to be, in the past I assumed it was some sort of subconscious survival instinct (Tanizaki Junichirou suggests as much). In the most recent episodes, though, it seems more like he's deliberately faking being suicidal just to troll people.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just saw episode 15. Gide's chunni emo shtick is really annoying. I assume he killed those kids just to provoke Oda into fighting him with intent to kill?

Dazai's reaction to hearing about Gide's motivation suggests that maybe he really does want to die.

By the way, I wonder what Gide's ability is called. I'm assuming he's named for Andre Gide, but none of Gide's works have names that would be obvious fits for a precog ability. Maybe Les jeux sont faits?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
wow they just had no money at all for this episode, huh?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoa, why is ep4 of S2 already out on CR?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe they nearly showed the same flashback again. Gah!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It seems like the Guild is kind of screwed at this point. Alcott, Melville, Twain, and Poe will need to show some powerful abilities to make up the difference.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Anyone else still watching this? Poe's super-convoluted murder mystery this episode was pretty funny.

One complaint I do have about this arc is that the Guild never really felt like they had a chance. Dazai outright states early on that the Port Mafia is the bigger threat.

The Guild members were cool, maybe because of rather than in spite of this possibly-unintended underdog status, although it seemed like they were based less on the actual authors and more on their most famous characters than the Japanese authors. (Then there's Gide, who didn't really seem to bear much resemblance either to the actual Andre Gide or to characters from his works. An ANN reviewer suggested that the conflict between Gide and Oda reflects the historical Oda's conflict with the "literary establishment," since the historical Gide won the Nobel Prize in Literature, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.) I'm not sure quite how sympathetic they're supposed to be; while Alcott, at least, didn't like the idea of massacring civilians, none of them actually objected to the idea enough to quit. (There's a similar weird ambivalence with the Port Mafia; they murdered a lot of people too, but starting with "An Unsuitable Profession for Her" there's a shift towards treating them as antiheroes. It gets even more uncomfortable given the hard-to-ignore implication that Ougai is a pedo.) It's funny to think that Fitzgerald would have had a better chance of getting the book if he'd just gone to the Armed Detective Agency and contracted them to look for it to begin with instead of trying to kidnap Atsushi and then trying to buy the ADA's permit. (To be fair to him, I think he put out the bounty before Atsushi joined the ADA.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 3, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
When I can finally watch anime again I'll be catching up :<

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, crazy theory time: Natsume Souseki is mentioned a couple times. He seems to be Oda's mysterious mentor and the founder of the Armed Detective Agency. The real Natsume Souseki wrote "I Am a Cat." What if Souseki was the original user of the weretiger ability and somehow passed it on to Atsushi? That would explain why Atsushi is the key to finding the magic book Fitzgerald wants; he has bits of Souseki's memories floating around somewhere in his subconscious.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Good episode this week. It's interesting to be reminded that Dazai was (and still is, to an extent) a pretty bad guy. In addition to all the killing and general brutality he was responsible for directly, he deserves a lot of the blame for Akutagawa becoming a crazy murderer too. Though to be fair, Ougai probably deserves a lot of the blame for Dazai becoming a crazy murderer.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Apparently the BGS characters are very popular in Japan: https://www.facebook.com/bungo.stray.anime/photos/pb.134080306948975.-2207520000.1481876313./349282208762116/?type=3&theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
AKIRA ISHIDA

• Locked thread