Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

paragon1 posted:

maybe the main characters should have tried not being worthless pubbie scum?

They seem like casuals (relatively speaking) so it's not like they'd be under the sights of a GoonSwarm like group. At best, ignored. At worst, collateral damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
My experience with goontang is that they usually find some other guild(s) that takes themselves way to seriously, and start a blood feud until they pull out their hair from exasperation. The guy who gave me this avatar pretty much single handedly got the leader of an MMO's biggest guild to ragequit the game within 2 weeks of launch.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

paragon1 posted:

maybe the main characters should have tried not being worthless pubbie scum?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xelkelvos posted:

They seem like casuals (relatively speaking) so it's not like they'd be under the sights of a GoonSwarm like group. At best, ignored. At worst, collateral damage.

This is the funny thing about this show. The premise is these characters are all huge mmo nerds but their gaming habits are super duper casual relative to how far a lot of hardcore MMO players will go. They kind of reference this when they talked about the black magician's guild.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kanos posted:

This is the funny thing about this show. The premise is these characters are all huge mmo nerds but their gaming habits are super duper casual relative to how far a lot of hardcore MMO players will go. They kind of reference this when they talked about the black magician's guild.

That's the funny thing about MMO players generally. The more hardcore a player someone is, the less time they likely spend on the game in any given week.

Of course, this is mostly describing modern western MMOs with progression caps. Back in the good old days, between world bosses, alternate achievement points, and so on, that effect was smaller.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kanos posted:

I do worry that there will be a major tone shift at the final episode where they realize that they are not hardcore gamers but mere casuals. Ako and Rusian become a real life couple instead of just in game, go out a few times, figure out they're now normies and then they do The Final Meme: the overindulgence of bleach.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kytrarewn posted:

That's the funny thing about MMO players generally. The more hardcore a player someone is, the less time they likely spend on the game in any given week.

Of course, this is mostly describing modern western MMOs with progression caps. Back in the good old days, between world bosses, alternate achievement points, and so on, that effect was smaller.

More hardcore = less time spent really only applies to World of Warcraft and its successors/knockoffs like FFXIV 2.0 and Rift which are based around weekly lockouts of instanced content. This show is based around what amounts to Ragnarok Online, where you can definitely poopsock yourself to death.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I do worry that there will be a major tone shift at the final episode where they realize that they are not hardcore gamers but mere casuals. Ako and Rusian become a real life couple instead of just in game, go out a few times, figure out they're now normies and then they do The Final Meme: the overindulgence of bleach.

Hard swerve into a horror show as Ako realizes she's becoming a normie and completely snaps and turns into a serial killer.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I saw the cockblock coming but I'm satisfied anyway!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hisasi

Anime

Manga

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm glad the protags won their stupid lovely sov war. :unsmith:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
jfc those lossmails

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This was a really satisfying show. I started off the episode regretting that the climax was going to come without actually resolving any of Ako's issues, but by the end I really liked how Ako and Nishimura were able to meet each other halfway. Nanako became a wonderful, strategic character ("Hi Bats!" "poo poo, we just used all our cooldowns" killed me) just over the course of this last episode. As did Akane with her blissful "Ran-Ran!".

So, let's do some math. 500 Tears of Yggdrasill -> 13 means Kyou used 487 of them. That's in the course of 55 seconds (likely a bit less, since the time announcement was a few seconds before combat actually started). 9 keypresses/second with a single finger for an entire minute is pretty damned impressive. I'm not sure whether or not I would have been happier if she'd bound it to three or four keys and piano-ed it instead.

I'm definitely going to read the manga, but I hope that the LN winds up getting licensed. I mean, hell, Yen Press licensed Rokka no Yuusha, they'll buy any IP, right?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Good ending, good show, sadly no kiss. 8/10

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Good ending, good show, sadly no kiss. 8/10

I say this about too many shows. :sigh: sound euphonium.

It was still good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hahahaha
:f5:
gg

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's no maid, that's my wife!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

lol master literally paid to win.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

They should make a season 2 that's all about schwein

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

VostokProgram posted:

They should make a season 2 that's all about schwein

I was thinking this too, but about Master.

I mean, she's constantly alone, just made friends, is about to graduate/be forced to focus on entrance exams, and doesn't really have anyone to bridge the real/game gap like Ako does with Nishimura and Schwein has with Nanako. I was really hoping (Hoping isn't the right word, but you know what I mean) that the last couple episodes would be some manner of crisis involving Master rather than just "We need to justify our existence to the school so we need to do a culture fest thing".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
At episode 9 of the dub pace; It was good fun episode to wind down from the whole big deal of the last two but I don't quite get the gag at the end with Everyone Logging in with Master's Eqipment as funny as it is to see Rucian being the victim of the episode's events.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It was because everyone shared masters keyboard.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It was because everyone shared masters keyboard.

Oh so they were using the same login and Rucian was seeing Master spaz out in all the girls' "Voices"
Got you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Did they just Yamcha the main character in the first five minutes?

• Locked thread