Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which one you do you like?
Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars he realized the two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. Ingenious, Hiroto thought. As one enters he would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.
Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars he realized the two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. Hiroto noted the ingeniousness of the layout. As person enters he would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.
Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars he realized the two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. Ingenious. As one enters he would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.
Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars. The two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. It was ingenious. Upon entering one would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.
View Results

• Locked thread
Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Help me with a little writing experiment. I took a snippet from a simple scene from a story I am working on wrote it 4 different ways.

In this scene the main character is walking down the center aisle of a great hall. He thinks it's just him and the man sitting dais. As he walks from the door towards the dais, passing each large pillar he sees that there is a guard knelling on the far side, "blind" from the door. He is impressed by this.

Without analyzing things too much which do you like the most? I am interested in your gut reaction.

The options above are in the same order as these below.

1. Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars he realized the two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. Ingenious, Hiroto thought. As one enters he would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.

2. Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars he realized the two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. Hiroto noted the ingeniousness of the layout. As person enters he would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.

3. Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars he realized the two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. Ingenious. As one enters he would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.

4. Hiroto walked down the center aisle and as he passed the pillars. The two were not alone. Next to each pillar, blind from the door, knelt an armed man. It was ingenious. Upon entering one would have no idea how many or the location of the guards.

After reading it some of you make recognize the differences in POV, filtering verbs and direct thoughts.

Kali11324 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

All 4 of them are total dog poo poo.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet
I agree. They're all bad because they all use "have no idea how many or the location of the guards."

That's just bad English. It's false parallelism.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'd write it something like

Hiroto walked down the center aisle, past the rows of pillars. It was only when he was halfway to the dais that he realized they were not alone. Behind each pillar, invisible from the door, there crouched a guard.

etc etc etc. Then you can have him appreciate the tactical brilliance of it, or whatever. But all of these sentences read really weird. Also, why are these guards kneeling? It seems like it would make more sense for them to be standing at the ready.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I think your results are in

:itwaspoo:

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I think your results are in

:itwaspoo:

Pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Sitting Here posted:

I'd write it something like

Hiroto walked down the center aisle, past the rows of pillars. It was only when he was halfway to the dais that he realized they were not alone. Behind each pillar, invisible from the door, there crouched a guard.

I pick this one

• Locked thread