Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

The sun is high above the towers of Tera Castle.

The lords and their retainers walk through the halls of dark stone and purple banners, to the meeting chamber. The Dread Knights standing guard nod their respect to the royals, for a Dread Knight will never bow to anyone, and push open the doors to the chamber. The room is filled with a long oaken table, rough and marked up by years of battle plans. At the end of the table, Prince Verus stands, with his loyal butler and dark mage Stephen. Stephen carries a large purple box, big enough to house a roast turkey in. "Vic, Ren, it's good to see you. I know you expected to see father here, but he and uncle were held up and couldn't make it back to send word, so they sent me." Verus fiddled with the pommel of his sword on his belt, "This war doesn't look like it's letting up anytime soon, father and uncle will be on the front longer than expected. I was sent to deliver a message and a present from them."

He motions to Stephen, who opens the box. The inside is covered with silver runes, Stephen carefully inserts his hand and removes from the box a small ornemented black book. "This is the Codex, for the benefit of those who have never seen it." Stephen explains, "It contains the signature of every Malleus, dating back to the formation of the kingdom, it is the symbol of power and control, and passes from Malleus to his heir, each in turn signing it and passing it down the line." Stephen slides it casually across the table, it glides frictionless to rest in front of the Lady Victoria.

Verus draws his sword, using it to balance as he and Stephen kneel, "Father has named you temporary Malleus, for the duration of his stay on the front."

Silence draws on for a few seconds, before Verus stands, giving his younger sister and her retainers a strange look. "You are to be advised by Rena and your group of retainers. There are two messengers on their way that you need to meet today. From Houses Yvier and Arresot, both should arrive here momentarily if they haven't already. That was all I was told to say."

He leaves quickly before giving anyone a chance to speak, motioning for Stephen to follow. The book rests heavily, as does the silence in the meeting chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Victoria

Inwardly, Victoria is a mass of nerves. Such a heavy responsibility, and so suddenly. On the other hand, it is something she had been born and bred and trained to do. She keeps it off her face and expression as much as she can, as if this were something she had been ready for and this was the motions as much as anything else.

Presented with kneeling family and the Codex to sign, Victoria does so. Her signature is neat, legible, and precisely the average size of every other signature on the page. It wouldn't do to make a florid, oversized signature here, after all.

The formalities done, Victoria waits for Verus and Stephen to leave before she speaks, slouching bonelessly in a chair by the huge table in a way she probably usually wouldn't in front of anyone she wasn't comfortable with. "Well. That was not what I was expecting to hear today. We will have to press on with it as it stands. So... if you have advise, I'll listen." Victoria considers Rena, primarily, with her look, but it scans over the other followers there, as well. She wouldn't have brought in her own people if she didn't want them to show initiative and help, and if her cousin feels the same, that extends out. "Have those messengers arrived?"

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Charlton Ravencroft

From doctor of the Archmage's daughter to retainer by proxy of the (temporary) Malleus. Moving on up in the world quickly these days. Trying not to think of the extra public scrutiny, Charlton considers what he could offer in terms of helping the Malleus. "I think that it would best if we orient our efforts towards our domestic issues. Rampant crime, illegal dark magic abuse, civil unrest, etc. If that idea pleases you, your majesty, I can check in with the Order to see if the monks or the patients have any information on what's going on in the city streets." There, actionable and reasonable advice that If he's lucky may lead some clues relevant to his own little "problem."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Kraulee Alexander, the Spirit Speaker from Another World, Necromancer/Leader sheet

It takes every last bit of effort Kraulee can muster to keep his expression appropriately po-faced as the ceremony declaring his liege Malleus-pro-tempore. The moment Verus and Stephen are out the door and the Dread Knights nod at their withdrawal--sometimes he wonders if the Knights nod not because of tradition but because they physically can't bow in that armor--he slouches and looks over at Victoria in her throne. "Well...mistress Victoria...does your heart feel more like a dragon's yet? How about your head, does it feel any heavier?" Out of metaphors for leadership, he shrugs. "I don't think the messengers have arrived yet. Just as well; time enough for me to call up some...refreshments befitting the ceremony of your station! I promise this time the punch will be blood free," he post-scripts quickly.

"Anyway, as a one time noble in line for the big chair, my advice is to just relax. It's hard to make decisions when your panicking, and there's a reason the crown always calls a drinking party whenever they've got to announce some solemn war declaration or political marriage or...whatever!"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Adrienne & Lucille

The twins stand respectfully in the back of the room while the ceremony takes place. Adrienne fidgets nervously -- it's unnerving being this close to a Dread Knight, let alone the Prince himself! She barely suppresses a gasp of surprise at the news; Lucille's gaze hardens ever so slightly, but they manage to keep their composure enough to kneel at the appropriate time. Once the door closes, Adrienne glances sideways at it to be certain the Prince is gone, then stands up and brushes herself off. "Congratulations, my lady- ah, that is, Your Highness!" But her smile fades when she sees the look on Lady Victoria's face and hears what Kraulee has to say (Lucille, as usual, is no help, leaning against a column with an unreadable expression). "Sir Alexander is right, my lady; you ought not worry yourself too much. His Majesty obviously believes in you, and the people surely will too. A-and we retainers, as well, naturally."

Lucille speaks up suddenly. "It might be a good idea to announce this publicly. And sooner rather than later. Everyone in town will know about it by sundown anyway; better your words than... someone else's."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lady Rena

It's far, far too early to be up and about, when I'm called for. Yes, I volunteered to 'aid the royal family' in whatever they should need, in hopes of getting to the bottom of the troubles of this land, but that doesn't mean I want to wake up before at least the third candlemark past highnoon. And with all the time I had to spend getting ready, I had to be up three hours before I was called... But I do not complain openly, as at least something was finally happening - I was getting tired of sitting around in this castle, feeling the steward's lust, the Knight's greed, the utter envy the nobility had for each other, and being completely without distraction or excuse to leave. So now I would not complain, as my doctor and I joined with my cousin and her... odd retainers. There was no need for a greeting with words, when a dip of the head is plenty to show acknowledgement.

Victoria was not my favorite person, but she was not my least favorite either. I found her refusal to focus purely on Dark magic refreshing, and the way she took command was interesting, but honestly - an axe, of all things? There's no elegance to hacking people apart, and it makes a terrible mess whenever they're used. A noble shouldn't demean themself by letting commoners bleed on them after all, we should keep up the illusion of being far beyond them, such that even their blood does n- I am interrupted in my thoughts, as we enter the meeting chamber, and I am face to face with the Prince, Verus - and not my father or uncle, as I expected.

The room around me is atwist with emotions, and I know something big is going to happen with the scrap of pure jealousy I can feel from the Prince. Father and Uncle are not dead at least - no sadness in the room around us, so they must be caught up in the war. And with gathering a group this big, we're either going to war... or acting here. The Prince's words and actions soon revealed the truth, and I felt a little more secure knowing I was not expected to run off to fight in a war, when there was more at risk here at home. I honestly feel a little bad for Verus, as he leaves - to have been passed up for this honor must have hurt. Still, I was given the position I would want in this situation - advisors are rarely the ones who are assassinated by jealous rivals, though I would at least ensure Victoria survived her term.

"Congratulations to you, dear cousin." I am intentionally calling her such, rather than mimicking her retainer in calling her 'Highness', "You needn't worry so much on the act of ruling, you've the demeanor to take command, and I am here to advise on matters you require assistance with. And should you need it tonight, I'm certain Charlton can brew you something to calm nerves."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Before the discussion of plans could continue, one of the Dread Knights outside knocked at the door.

"The messenger from Lord Wilbur Arresot has arrived. No word yet from Lady Yvier. We can send him in at your leisure."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Kraulee Alexander, the Spirit Speaker from Another World, Necromancer/Leader

Almost imperceptibly, Kraulee has stepped out...and he's stepped back with a floating tea tray over his hands and black vapor around his boots. "Behold, the mighty fires of the castle kitchens have gifted me the boon of kompot and jam biscuits!" he announces imperiously. "I knew putting summoning circles in the dumbwaiters would help get around..." It's only after he sets the tray down with a clatter that he notices the Dread Knight at the door. "Oh, I thought they'd...well, then! Mistress Victoria, are you ready to send any doubts about your competence kicking and screaming to hell?"

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Victoria

Taking in the twins' congratulations and trying to suppress amusement at Kraulee's sentiment, Victoria nods to the Dread Knight. 'Please, send the messenger in. And Kraulee, please, kompot sounds lovely." Pointedly, she responded to her own retainer's offer, but not Rena's offer for... oh, whoever that was.

There couldn't really be any doubt as to who was serving the better beverage, of course. Sometimes it was best to make that clear in a less blatant method than just baldly stating it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Adrienne & Lucille

Lucille gives her sister a meaningful glance at the mention of the name 'Arresot.' For a moment, she almost mentions it to Lady Victoria, but then thinks better of it. Instead, she pulls Adrienne respectfully off to one side and tries to put on a polite face for the incoming messenger.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

The great oak doors groan open, and the young messenger stumbles in. His patchwork vest and worn pants indicate he's a servant, and the seal on the letter he carries indicates he is in fact sent by house Arresot. He nervously looks back at the Dread Knights, who leer imposingly in the background. He clears his throat, scratching at the childish brownish scruff that passes for a beard on his young face. As he opens the letter, he reads "Uh, th- the Lord Wilbur Arresot asks the p- presence of the Malleus at his earliest convinience. He w- will be hosting a dinner to discuss t- the civil unrest in Kontra..." He looks like he means to continue, but squeaks and falters.

One of the Dread Knights makes eye contact with Lady Victoria, courteously nods, then reaches over the boys head and reads the final message. "This boy is convicted of theft of dark magic from Castle Kontra where he serves. He is cursed that if he tried to flee before his message was delivered, his arms will be paralysed. The Lord Wilbur trusts the Dread Knights the Malleus with administering proper punitive measures for his crimes."

The boy is shivering so viscerally it's hard to believe he hasn't wet himself yet. He opens his mouth to plead, but nothing but a small crack of the voice comes out. He hangs his head.

A maid runs up to the Dread Knight who has yet to speak and whispers something to him. He nods to the Malleus before speaking "Milady, the messenger from Lady Yvier was not seen by the scouts on patrol today, if I may offer my opinion?" He pauses "Something is amiss, the Lady Yvier is not a trusting woman, she only sends people she personally vets with important messages. For them to shirk their duties..."

Silence hangs, but for the chattering of the young thief's teeth.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lady Rena

What annoys me the most about this situation isn't that the thief exists, isn't that some fool would dare try and steal our magic for themselves, it's that they'd do it, and lose all spine, lose all nerve as soon as it was discovered. Dark magic needs you to take control, you have to control it, you have to control yourself, you have to have the utmost control. This fool had none of that, no control, no willpower, no charisma, nothing that would make a good dark mage - and yet he would wonder why we would keep those secrets from his greedy little mitts. It was the worst part of this foolishness, the lack of self control.

I stare levelly at the quaking boy, and reach out even as I speak to him, "Nothing to say for yourself? No justifications, excuses, no explanations on how you didn't do it, or why you did it? No lies, ju-" I cease, as I note something being passed along to a Dread Knight, and the ensuing message that he relays, "It seems we may have more pressing matters at hand. So tell us, without lying - why did you do this, what did you hope to gain?" I didn't trust him to not lie, of course he would lie - but lying doesn't work when someone can read your thoughts, and see exactly what you are thinking of.

SOUUUUULLLL READING: 1d6 5

More quietly, I whisper an aside to the new Malleus, "It might look good to the other Nobles, if you personally look into this missing messenger. Building relations with your newfound subjects is important - and making sure they understand you value them can prevent more chaos in the country."

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"I - But - I didn't know what it was really!" A lie, not even a good one "I just needed a quick buck, and I knew a guy willing to buy tomes, no matter how hot." Truth "I didn't want anybody to get hurt, I just wanted to get away! The castle looks like a tavern with all the mercs crawling around, it was only a matter of time before I crossed one and had 'a little accident'!" Truth or not, he definitely believes it is "I need my arms to work, please please don't do this to me. I never intended to use the magic, I ain't got the balls." Well, you don't even need to read his emotions to know that's the truth, the whelp has sweat enough to polish a set of armour.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Charlton Ravencroft

Interesting, someone gutsy enough to buy dark magic stolen from a nobleman, and from Lord Wilbur at that. "Boy, a question for you. Who was it that wanted to buy that dark magic from you? I want a name, any aliases, a location and a physical description." This potential buyer should have some interesting clientele, possibly ones with that would pay good money for some necromancy spells. Smiling in anticipation from beneath his mask, Charlton pulls out his notepad to write down the boy's response.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"I don't know his name, he's some merc that the nobles hired! He's a mage, long black hair, brown coat with way more buckles then it needs! He has a scar on his hand, we just called him Buckles!" All true, by Rena's read

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kraulee Alexander

At the mention of "a quick buck", Kraulee's eye twitches. "You were going to sell it?" His fingers curl involuntarily into a fist. "Someone was going to buy this dark magic?!" He had thought that the crackdown on dark magic proliferation was overblown before, but if this was what was happening-- "Oh, sullied mammon, of all the things you could possibly sell for money, why not marrows or mutton? Why magic?!"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lady Rena

This is taking too long, all this questioning - he tried to lie, but he stopped trying quick enough, and now he gave the Dreadknights more than enough information to start an actual investigation, which he was being truthful about. I must admit, even my expression must have softened a bit, as I learned he did not use the tome - it was greed of coin, not lust for power that motivated him, and even then out of fear. And this was a grand opportunity now - one to make a show out of my own skills, and show I am not simply the cousin of the Malleus - that I hold the ability to do what I think is correct, as my father would. "Thank you, boy, for being honest in your own shortcomings - few can be. And for that, I look to my cousin with a proposal." Once again, I do not call her Highness, the idea of people over me one foreign to me, after being raised by my father and his eccentrics.

I practically ignore Kraulee as he voices his own opinion - yes, the greed of man, how wonderfully interesting to ponder on, of course people will sell magic - they will sell their own children, their own mothers, if they are desperate and greedy enough. But now is not the time for debates on the prolific spread of greed in our kingdom.

"I want the boy to be mine." I say it loud enough for everyone here to hear it, especially the boy, "Charlton is of far too high a status to be forced to continue cleaning my room, but I do not trust the common servants to not be tempted to try and read my own tomes. This boy is a coward, and would not dare to do so." I brush a strand of hair back over my ear, feigning a little concern, "He will receive meals and clothing befitting his status, but will not be allowed to leave the castle, and the pittance of servant's pay - which I will be providing - will go towards his current house, to attempt to pay back his debt, not to him." This time I turn and smile as I look at the boy, "You will be expected to prepare bathes, wash clothes, keep my bookshelf organized, and my bed made, as well as other menial tasks. And you will be expected to do this until you pay back your debt - which depending on the rareness of the tome, I estimate to be... ah, ten to fifteen years? During which time I will ensure you are not tempted to steal from me." I try to keep a firm balance between making it clear I am attempting to help the boy, and making it clear that he will still be treated as a criminal.

"Of course, I want you to agree to it too, boy, if the Malleus is in approval of it. I can free your arms, right at this moment - and you will be marked as the Archmage's own staff - as my own is still an extension of that of my father - and well... let us just say I tend to be open about what will happen to those who harm my servants... so you will needn't worry about your safety." Twirling the hair I had stuck behind my ear, I sigh sadly, "Of course, if you would prefer it, the Dreadknights can administer your punishment - I trust it will likely be shorter than ten years, though the permanency and recovery time..." I trail off ominously, letting that sit in the air for a few seconds.

"Regardless, we lack the time to properly debate this - there are far more pressing matters. Messengers to be found - messengers who are far, far less likely to be criminals, at that."

Breaking the curse if Victoria and kid agrees to it
Cuuurssseeesss: 1d6 6
Taking either 'Curses' as a skill, or 'Curse Breaking' if Curses is too broad for Strike!

Why was I going through so much trouble, you might ask? Because this boy found someone willing to steal from the nobility, and has watched mercenaries being brought up in our own kingdom - and because he is the servant of another family, one I do not trust, because I do not trust any, and many are stupid enough to speak secrets infront of their servants, as many of the nobility do not even view them as able to think.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 23, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Victoria

For the moment, Victoria has been sitting back, allowing Rena to take the lead. What was the point of an advisor who's not given reign and trust to probe as needed and advise from that? Now that that seems to be playing out, she takes a more active role. "He's yours," Victoria nods to Rena, allowing her kin the chance. After all, that's just what being nobility is about. The why is a little baffling, but it's not like Victoria is any stranger to the fact of it. Adrienne and Lucille owed much to a similar moment. Magnanimity to criminals and allowing the upper crust their due deference and rights was central to being a ruler.

More quietly, she follows up with a response to Rena's whispered earlier piece of advice. "You're right. We should go check up on that other messenger. Just being out and visible is going to be very important these first few days."

Having acknowledged as much, Victoria stands, the easier to make pronouncements. "We will be checking up on this missing messenger." That's announced loud enough for everyone to hear, whether the inner circle they've just established, maids, or dread knights.

Any follow-up orders that need to be issued to get them out the door and keep the place proper in their absence she'll follow up with as needed.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kraulee Alexander

Still mentally squirming over the idea that anybody would want to sell magic, Kraulee simply nods assent to Rena laying on hands on the messenger. "Lady Rena, the wretch is yours," he hisses, "but if I find him rooting through my skulls and tomes, then he shall fear far more than merely losing an arm--" His eyes glow as he holds his hands out towards the messenger boy in a vaguely threatening seal before he catches himself.

The moment he turns back to his mistress, though, he's smiling again. "Apologies, Mistress Victoria. I seem to have let the angry spirits get the better of me." He takes a deep bow, then looks up. "As a sign of forgiveness, let me inquire if the angry spirits can do us a favor..."

He takes a moment to grab the tea tray before falling in step behind Victoria as she heads for the door, flipping it over so that the seal on the underside is visible. "Ordinarily I would rather draw the circle of calling on a clean floor with ochre flowers, but needs must and spirits need speak...*crunch* ouch!" Blood flowing freely from the tip of his thumb, he adds a few extra lines to the seal. "Spirits ancient and departed, hear my cry! We seek a messenger of house Yvier, a trusted confidante of the lady of that lineage! Tell us if they yet breathe, or now walk among your host!"

Messenger inquiry (Augury): 1d6 5

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 25, 2016

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

The boy collapses to his knees, forehead against the floor in prostration before his new master. "Oh gods thank you milady, I will serve you and only you faithfully until I earn amnesty." With a casual air of someone who does this all the time, Rena breaks the curse on the boy. The dread knights nod to Victoria, ordering servants to make preparations for the group to set out. The boy recoils in horror from Kraulee, retreating to behind his new master.

As Kraulee calls upon the spirits, they seem indecisive. They seem to agree to the answer 'no' to both questions, but can't agree on why. It agitates them significantly, and you see visions of a rain of black ink and fire, the smell of rot and the sounds of screaming, though the spirits offer no explanation. They don't like being asked about the messenger one bit, and they want to lash out at something, anything.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Adrienne & Lucille

Adrienne averts her eyes from the poor boy. Even after some time in Lady Victoria's service, interacting with nobles on a daily basis, she still finds it unsettling to watch Lady Rena perform her dark arts -- black magic and coercion both. Victoria's cousin is spoken of in fearful whispers in some circles. There was a rumor among the city's thieves that she drank the blood of others to maintain her own youth, a rumor given fuel by Rena's... unusual appearance. False, almost certainly, but persistent. On the other hand, she seemed to be releasing the thief of his curse, strangely enough. The Dread Knights would surely have thrown him in some dark cell and then not bothered to remember which one, so perhaps she was less of a terror than reported...

With the thief's fate decided, they made ready to leave. Adrienne slipped in close to Lady Victoria, letting Lucille collect their gear, and bowed deeply. "My l- Your Highness, if I may? If Lady Yvier's messenger made it to the capital, and no other leads present themselves, we know of some... citizens... who might have seen him or her. A gate guard, perhaps, or there are street vendors who make a point of noting important visitors that pass by. Not to mention... less savory types. We could ask a few discreet questions, if it please you."

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Victoria

"Good thinking, Adrienne," Victoria responds to her subordinate. "Do that. We'll still want to make ourselves visible and look for them more openly. It's to help be seen, but I won't complain if we get results from another source."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kraulee Alexander

"Ah, spirits, always you present such wonderful tests of logic and thought!" Kraulee offers to his tray, with just a slight hint of sarcasm. Suddenly realizing he should probably keep his liege informed, he drops the tray and turns to Victoria. "Mistress Victoria, the angry spirits are as puzzled as I! Our messenger is not among them, but they are not breathing either. And... what do you make of visions of black ink and fire, Mistress Victoria? Or Lady Rena, for that matter!" He turns to the other noblewoman with a shrug. Somehow he still hasn't dropped his pace.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Charlton Ravencroft

While trying to keep up with the shift in conversation introduced by this missing messenger, Charlton addresses ladies Rena and Victoria. "Milady, your majesty, we may also want to send a message to Lord Wilbur to have this 'Buckles' detained, if he has not been already. If he was looking to acquire stolen dark magic, it wouldn't surprise me if he already had some stolen magic or friends with some. I imagine if this mercenary hears of the boy's arrest, he will try to escape before we can arrest and interrogate him." Wouldn't do to lose one bird pursuing another in the bush.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Adrienne & Lucille

Adrienne bows respectfully. "Of course. We'll ask around, and then catch up with you as soon as possible."

Lucille, meanwhile, is watching Kraulee's gesticulations uncertainly. "Ink and fire? Doesn't sound like good news to me." She gazes at Lady Rena. "Then again, prophecy is hardly my strong point."

Rolling Word on the Street:
(7:55:30 PM) megane: !roll 1d6
(7:55:31 PM) Krysmbot: megane, 5 = 5

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

The party disperses to gather supplies and information, before reforming and hitting the road. Charlton sends a messenger to Kontra to have 'Buckles' apprehended. Adrienne and Lucille return with news that the messenger from the mountains is not the only one to have not been heard from. It seems a town on the way to Lady Yvier's abode of Yellem in the mountains has gone off the grid entirely, no people coming or going from it. The party rides onward to the town named Setsburg, but a problem becomes apparent when crossing over a hill giving a clean view of the town.

Black sludge has bathed the entire town in a perfect circle, some houses on the outskirts untouched. The ink coats the walls (both inner and outer), rooves, and roads totally Torches still burn untouched by the slime. Black semi-humanoid figures shuffle-about aimlessly in the streets. On the outskirts, a man can be seen, brandishing a longsword and some ragged armour, fighting off a group of three ink-figures. As you ride in to assist you see his right arm hanging loosely at his side, and as he sways he yells in pain as it swings in the wrong direction. He retreats at the sound of approaching horses, and the figures chase him to the edge of the slime, before letting him go.

He limps up to your party, winded, trying to catch his breath. "Help please! I was sent out to the river to get water, and when I got back the town was this!"
He catches his breath and actually appraises the group. "Agh! Only 6 of-" He stares at Victoria for a moment "you..?"

He pauses a moment, before dropping to his right knee, but before he can form his apology or defer to the Malleus, his mangled arm brushes the ground and he yelps in pain.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Charlton Ravencroft

"What in God's name is this?" Before Charlton has any time to process the strange sight of the village the raggedly-dressed man came up and asked for help. Seeing the man's arm, he sprung to action.

"This is going to hurt for a moment, more than it does now, but by the end you'll be better than ever." Charlton proceeds to bend the man's arm in the correct direction and starts casting a healing spell. "Sinew, flesh and bone, lost in the sea of wounds, reunite once more, be born anew!"

Rolling Healing Magic to fix this guy's arm
<Rentabot> roll 1d6
<JadeMage> Rentabot rolled 1d6 --> [ 1d6=6 ]{6}

For the bonus, I'll go for mangled mitts being Charlton's new friend.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Victoria

Victoria overlooks the man's slight breach of etiquette. He's made an attempt, and pain is understandable. "So this happened that fast? Hm." Victoria considers the inky masses and tries to match it with any magical theory she knows.

"Is there anyone else un... touched?" Victoria takes a moment to fish for the right word. This is not making her happy, and she's struggling to keep her cool. Just knowing what's going on would make her happier.

Well, maybe if she just plays with magic in the right way this will all come clearer. She fishes for the magic.

What could go wrong?

Ruler's Hexwork roll = 2. Twist! Competence!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kraulee Alexander

O holy of unholies, what happened to this unfortunate borough?! Kraulee stares into the inky abyss surrounding the town until he notices Victoria making her own thoughts. "Ah, Mistress Victoria, allow me to lend a hand!" He raises one arm towards the ink, palm outstretched, as if trying to divine its contents remotely...

Helping roll with Dark Magic. Or maybe Mana Lines? Either way...
Helping Victoria (Dark Magic): 1d6 1

"Aaaaah, down, down, fell blood!" He suddenly slams down on that arm with the other, wrestling it towards his chest.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

The boy screams briefly as Charleton patches up the boys arm, but when the good doctor finishes the boy clearly has renewed energy. He beams at the doctor "Thank you sir, I'm Issac. I'm not a knight yet, but when I am, I hope I can repay you. Until this problem is solved, I'll stand by your side." He swings his longsword up only to his shoulder.

The Malleus and her retainer try to get a feel for the goo, but it works in reverse. There's a disturbed kind of intelligence that is guiding the spell, and it notices you spying on it. Before you can size it up, it sizes you both up, in particular, it takes note of Kraulee and the spirits that surround him. You have a bad feeling about this.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kraulee Alexander

The mask slips slightly as Kraulee involuntarily shudders. "Brrrr...now I now what people mean when they talk about shadows over their graves!" He shakes his head and tries to clear his thoughts. "So, mystery man Issac! Now that our most learned doctor friend has helped you, care to tell us what in the name of the hells happened here?"

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Victoria

Victoria takes a moment to consider this outcome, before deciding how to spin it as her success. "There's some intelligence out there," she announces. "I think it's being drawn to Kraulee." She plants the butt of her axe in the ground and leans on it, showing without words what she'll do if it tries anything overt. "We shall keep an eye on it from here."

She gives a nod to Charlton and Isaac. "But, please, let's hear what else we can of what happened here."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Adrienne & Lucille

"Heaven preserve us..." whispers Adrienne. She rubs the hilt of her knife uneasily; as if there hadn't been enough black magic today already. Lucille grimly makes a sign to ward off the evil of this place, then glances to her sister. "Addy. Why don't you take a look through some of the... clean... houses. I'll cover you." She climbs a small stone outcropping and nocks an arrow, eyeing the ink-things with disgust.

Adrienne's eye twitches. "Certainly, I'll just get closer to the accursed things, then, shan't I?" But she bows to Lady Victoria and starts to creep slowly in towards the outskirts of town.

Going to investigate the non-ink-covered outskirts. Dunno if I need to roll something, but here you go:
(6:33:27 PM) megane: !roll 1d6
(6:33:28 PM) Krysmbot: megane, 3 = 3 which is either a Twist or a Success with a Cost depending on if it's a skill I've got.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

The Twins slink off to investigate as Issac straightens. He nods his thanks once more to the good doctor before beginning his story. "Yesterday, late afternoon, I was sent out by the knight I serve to fetch some water from the river over the ridge you came from. I saw black clouds on the horizon, so I made haste back to town so I could get into cover from the rain." He sighs "But when I got back, the clouds were gone and the town was covered in this ink. Originally it was featureless, just a black coating. I wandered into the town, towards the heart of the phenomena when a giant knight with blackness billowing from his helmet. He drew a giant sword, and I tried to block it, but it crashed straight through my shield as if it weren't there. Then the featureless black figures began to rise from the muk. I retreated, and tried to get back in to find survivors today. There were too many of them, and I was nearly overrun. If not for your timely arrival, and your most-skilled physician, I'd probably be a dead man. If you're going in there, I'll accompany you. My training is incomplete, but I owe you my life, Doctor."

While this is going on, the twins investigate an abandoned shack on the outside of town. The edge of the ink has some sort of rune or pattern to it, somewhat like the wards used important cathedrals you've been to. Before you can closely investigate, the black figures lunge from the ooze, grasping at you. The twins retreat at pace, Winded, but alive. You're fairly certain this is a bastardization of a ward, or perhaps a ward gone awry.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Kraulee Alexander

"So this...ink...has been building up here since yesterday?" Kraulee holds his hand up to his mouth in thought...and also to bite down on his thumb when Issac talks about the giant knight. "Hold, ser Issac! This giant knight, could you describe it more accurately?" He turns and whispers in Victoria's ear. "That's not the liaison from Yvier we've been waiting for, is it?"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lady Rena

I'd been listening for some time, standing there motionless, eyes closed, even as I listened to everyone's plans and ideas. There was a strange peace in my mind, as I listened to the story of black ink, likely more black magic. Black magic was something I knew, something I understood, mostly. And perhaps I'd never heard of this form of magic before, but it could not be too different from my own magics. All magic has a reason for existing - it doesn't just happen. Someone makes it, a natural hazard forms due to terrible events, a warding goes wrong. There's endless numbers of ways that magic could be tracked and traced, and breaking spells was often as easy as just... finding those sources.

Of course, when it's filled with monsters that can rend shields in a single movement, it's harder to find these things - this is why mages of all brands hone their mind's eye, and their ability to sense the aetheric flow of magic, making it much simpler to track. I was doing just that, my eyes closed as I tried to focus, it, finally opening my eyes, the entirety of them turned black, no sclera, no iris, just a pitch blackness, as my entire body started to vibrate.

Scrying: 1d6 3

I am so, so sorry for how long this took to make. I was having problems coming up with ways to excuse my absence ICly

Please ruin Rena 4 this attempt at scrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Charlton Ravencroft

"Thank you for offering your help Isaac. Given the situation, we will most likely need it." Turning his attention to the black sludge covering the village, considers his options. Perhaps he could disable the slime somehow? If it's sentient to a degree, perhaps it could be rendered unconscious? It's been a while since he performed an anesthesia spell, but what's the worst that could happen? Pointing his staff towards the black slime, Charlton intones, "Retreat, deeper and deeper into the abyss of the mind, numb thyself to reality's gentle touch. Retreat into Morpheus's embrace."

Rolled a 2. Also using my Advance to get an insight token and mark down the slime on the town on my list of weird phenomena. Sorry for the absence, life stuff. :(

• Locked thread