Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tell us more about how late capitalism is a dated theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

A human heart posted:

Tell us more about how late capitalism is a dated theme

It's the same problem doomsday cults have. You can only predict a near-future radical breakdown so many times before it starts losing credibility.

On a more genre-specific note, while the concept of multinational corporations replacing traditional nation-states as the movers and shakers of world events may have been the logical extension of the era of Reagan, it just doesn't fit with historical trends. The few centuries have seen a steady increase in the power of sovereign governments and a steady decrease in the power of corporations. There was a time where the British East India Company raised private armies and went to war with the Mughal government. There was a time where companies like British Petroleum and the United Fruit Company could dictate which democracies the US overthrew (Ajax and PBSuccess). While wealth is certainly still power and things like the military-industrial show no signs of stopping, if you take away the trenchcoats and mirrorshades Gibson's vision of company towns and corporate black ops squads looks more like the past than the future.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I disagree. The resource conflicts in Africa are going full swing. the Corporate influence is just more subtle. And under-reported.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I remember enjoying the first book of the 'Petrovich Trilogy' by Simon Morden back when I read it--I think the title is Equations of Life. It came in an omnibus kindle version. I never got around to reading the other two books in the trilogy, but it was pretty fast-paced and entertaining. It hits on a whole mess of familiar cyberpunk tropes--Yakuza, decaying city, gangs, cyberware, etc, and there's nothing super-original about it, but it scratched that cyberpunk itch.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Microcline posted:

It's the same problem doomsday cults have. You can only predict a near-future radical breakdown so many times before it starts losing credibility.

On a more genre-specific note, while the concept of multinational corporations replacing traditional nation-states as the movers and shakers of world events may have been the logical extension of the era of Reagan, it just doesn't fit with historical trends. The few centuries have seen a steady increase in the power of sovereign governments and a steady decrease in the power of corporations. There was a time where the British East India Company raised private armies and went to war with the Mughal government. There was a time where companies like British Petroleum and the United Fruit Company could dictate which democracies the US overthrew (Ajax and PBSuccess). While wealth is certainly still power and things like the military-industrial show no signs of stopping, if you take away the trenchcoats and mirrorshades Gibson's vision of company towns and corporate black ops squads looks more like the past than the future.
This has to be a troll

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WarLocke posted:

Have you watched Person of Interest? It's on Netflix.

We're basically living in a cyberpunk world right now.
I'd love to see an author write a neo-cyberpunk book, something that has all the trappings and tone of cyberpunk but has properly researched and factually correct computer science and technology. Like, if the book were transplanted into the 80s, it wouldn't seem at all out of place within the cyberpunk genre, while being 100% plausible in today's world.

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I like the *idea* of cyberpunk, but I've actually read very little of it. I've played my share of cyberpunk games and enjoyed a lot of genre movies, but I only just got around to starting Neuromancer this evening.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I'd love to see an author write a neo-cyberpunk book, something that has all the trappings and tone of cyberpunk but has properly researched and factually correct computer science and technology. Like, if the book were transplanted into the 80s, it wouldn't seem at all out of place within the cyberpunk genre, while being 100% plausible in today's world.

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I like the *idea* of cyberpunk, but I've actually read very little of it. I've played my share of cyberpunk games and enjoyed a lot of genre movies, but I only just got around to starting Neuromancer this evening.

'what the genre of cyberpunk needs is definitely hard facts and science' - man who hasn't read any cyberpunk

Microcline posted:

There was a time where companies like British Petroleum and the United Fruit Company could dictate which democracies the US overthrew (Ajax and PBSuccess).

This still happens quite often.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A human heart posted:

'what the genre of cyberpunk needs is definitely hard facts and science' - man who hasn't read any cyberpunk
You're kinda missing the point. For the layman who doesn't know much about computers, it's still going to seem like cyberpunk technobabble, especially from the perspective of a hypothetical reader from the 80s.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
A suggestion for something that maybe fits that bill, The Dervish House by Ian McDonald. It's set shortly in the future but the technology in it is all very believable extensions of what we have today, and maybe even conservative for 2027. He combines technology with human struggle in a way that does remind me of cyberpunk, even if it's not part of the genre.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
What cyberpunk really needs is more pink mohawks.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Xenomrph posted:

Have you seen the TV series "Mr. Robot"? Because it's basically this.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Pretty excited to see that Altered Carbon filming is underway. :dance:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of which, the TV show Falling Water is super obviously inspired by Gibson's Bigend Trilogy. The main character is a cool hunter named Tess that gets approached by a mysterious super-rich Eastern European billionaire for a secret project.

It's dreams, not pants.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FuriousGeorge posted:

Pretty excited to see that Altered Carbon filming is underway. :dance:

!!!!!!!!!!!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

precision posted:

Speaking of which, the TV show Falling Water is super obviously inspired by Gibson's Bigend Trilogy. The main character is a cool hunter named Tess that gets approached by a mysterious super-rich Eastern European billionaire for a secret project.

It's dreams, not pants.

I really liked the reference to the Mall Ninja trend in the Blue Ant series. Too bad Gibson probably wasn't aware the original Mall Ninja was a SA poster messing with people in his free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

When is Gibson's next book coming out? I really liked The Peripheral.

• Locked thread