Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/panama-papers/irs-urges-americans-come-clean-now-we-read-panama-papers-n557246

quote:

IRS Urges Americans: Come Clean Now, Before We Read Panama Papers
U.S. officials revealed to NBC News that they have taken part in two global meetings about the Panama Papers to plan how to use the huge trove of leaked documents to catch criminals — and urged Americans to come clean now before illegal activity is discovered.

Last week's discussions in Paris and Washington between IRS and Treasury officials and their counterparts from around the world are the first evidence of U.S. involvement in the growing international coalition eager to analyze and use the data about more than 214,000 offshore companies listed by Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca.

In a statement to NBC News, the IRS acknowledged participating in a "special project meeting" of JITSIC, the Joint International Tax Shelter Information and Collaboration network, about the papers in Paris last week.

The IRS also encouraged any U.S. citizens and companies that may have money in offshore accounts to contact the agency now before any possible illegal activity on their part is identified. According to media reports, the documents contain information on potentially thousands of U.S. citizens and firms that have at least an indirect connection to offshore accounts affiliated with Mossack Fonseca. Many other firms provide similar services, and the Treasury Department estimated last year that more than $300 billion dollars of illicit proceeds are generated in the United States annually, with criminals using such companies here and abroad to launder funds.

"People hiding assets offshore should recognize the continued changes and progress in the international tax arena," the IRS said. "More than ever, their best option remains to come forward voluntarily and participate in the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program."

The 11.5 million confidential documents, leaked to German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung and shared with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, provide detailed information about how criminals, corrupt heads of state, celebrities and others have for decades been using secret hideaways in tax havens to launder money, evade taxes and hide other suspected criminal behavior.

Earlier, U.S. federal agents and prosecutors told NBC News that they had begun to mobilize in an effort to obtain and use the Panama Papers to bolster existing criminal investigations and prosecutions and to launch new ones.

The JITSIC meeting took place Wednesday at the Organisation (cq) for Economic Co-Operation and Development, and brought together senior tax officials from more than 40 countries. They discussed "opportunities for obtaining data, co-operation and information-sharing in light of the 'Panama Papers' revelations," the OECD said in a statement.

IRS officials said they could not discuss who participated and what, specifically, was discussed. But in its statement to NBC News, the IRS described the meeting as "productive and timely" and said "governments around the world are working together cooperatively" to respond to the information released in the Panama Papers, with JITSIC playing a coordinating role.

"We will be closely monitoring the situation along with our international tax administration partners as we determine what steps to take to ensure compliance with U.S. tax laws and meet our shared global interests," the IRS added.

On Thursday, senior Treasury officials discussed the leaked documents - and the need for more information sharing and a crackdown on tax evasion - in gatherings that were part of the annual "spring meeting" in Washington of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank, according to a senior Treasury official.

After those meetings, bankers and finance ministers from the world's 20 largest economies sent a warning to tax havens saying they would ramp up efforts to punish governments that continue to hide billions of dollars in offshore accounts.

"We need to act to deal with tax shelters and the problem of international tax system permitting havens to develop," U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew said Friday.

Mossack Fonseca has denied any wrongdoing, saying it worked within existing laws and guidelines to help its clients set up legal accounts and that it was not aware of those accounts being used for illegal or illicit activities.

Is everyone p. salty about having to come clean about this poo poo? I know I am..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i have accounts in 5 countries but they are all on shores

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ha no need for offshore tax havens when your job has specific loopholes they paid to have passed into law that let you avoid taxes llegally

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Mange Mite posted:

Ha no need for offshore tax havens when your job has specific loopholes they paid to have passed into law that let you avoid taxes llegally

:agreed:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im broke so no issues here

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
Did somebuh-ddy say Shore?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I maintain an offshore account in the form of a quarter I threw into the ocean, OP.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I invested all the money I had in the Cayman Islands into BitCoins so I'm pretty happy right now.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

if you're rich enough to have offshore accounts you can afford the slap on the wrist tax deductible punishment the IRS will doll out

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Waiting to see how much Hillary and Trump have hidden.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

Waiting to see how much Hillary and Trump have hidden.

They are runner my for public office and don't have the luxury of privacy, which explains why they weren't involved in Panama.

Sorry to ruin your two minutes of anti-Hillary hate, Herr Hitler.

Aug 4, 2010

Fiend posted:

They are runner my for public office and don't have the luxury of privacy, which explains why they weren't involved in Panama.

lol

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fiend posted:

yeah she never requested to use a private server, got denied, did it anyway, killed 4 americans (1 goon in there) and then wiped the server and acted really dumb and innocent and it somehow worked because of our poo poo administration being in bed with her

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I've managed to stay in the positive the last few pay periods. At this rate I'll be rich enough for an offshore account in no time

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Three olives this is your last chance.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
I have an "offshore account" in the sense that I convert all my cash into doubloons and put it in a big chest that I drop to the ocean floor

it is a very light chest, had to use an anchor

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Three olives this is your last chance.

The only "offshore" account three olives has is an account at the chain of Turkish bathhouses. He goes there to get fucker in the rear end. Because he's gay you see...

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm so piss poor that the IRS probably should be getting taxed by me.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
45% of americans pay no federal income tax yet here i am, a sucker, getting that poo poo automatically deducted

from now on, that money gets sent to my liberland bank account instead

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
our government is like a super busy mom that knows her kids were jumping on the bed and using roller blades in the house or whatever but can't prove it so she's using scare tactics. Our own lawmakers can't even read a thousand pages for the bills they pass, how can some low-paid tax stooges comb through millions of pages of foreign finance information?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

down n out posted:

our government is like a super busy mom that knows her kids were jumping on the bed and using roller blades in the house or whatever but can't prove it so she's using scare tactics. Our own lawmakers can't even read a thousand pages for the bills they pass, how can some low-paid tax stooges comb through millions of pages of foreign finance information?

the IRS should tell people that the documents have info about feminism and video games and then a bunch of nerds will comb through it for free

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Parallax Scroll posted:

the IRS should tell people that the documents have info about feminism and video games and then a bunch of nerds will comb through it for free

already happened those folks are with the Sanders campaign now my dude

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extra stout posted:

yeah she never requested to use a private server, got denied, did it anyway, killed 4 americans (1 goon in there) and then wiped the server and acted really dumb and innocent and it somehow worked because of our poo poo administration being in bed with her

^ look at this retard ^
< also this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
i am sure that the very wealthy people that hid their money offshore are extremely terrified of what the IRS and the administration of President Wall Street will do to them

Obama's definitely going to put the $100 million + in "speaking fees" that he will make in the next few years at risk to hold these people accountable

also I'm sure that the Panama Papers are legit, that's why the public doesn't get to see them and why the U.S. interests that are involved weren't named

Hillary 2016

• Locked thread