Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

well, it;s always in the last place ya look! :haw:

-Hunt for Red October

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

"I'm in."
"Me too!"
"Let's do this thing"
"Aw, what the hell."

"Two Glens, one Gary, and a Ross. With our forces combined we'll make a real estate deal the likes of which has never been seen!"

"But what do we call ourselves...?"

-GLENGARY:GLENROSS

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'watch out, there's poo poo everywhere' - the birth of a nation

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Stottie Kyek posted:

Spock's half-human, but his dad was a Vulcan ambassador and they all lived on Vulcan and his human mam had tried her best to assimilate, and the Vulcan kids picked on him when he was little, so he felt he had to be really into Vulcan culture, including suppressing his emotions. Vulcans actually have quite violent emotions, they just learnt to control them with a bunch of meditation and rituals that Surak came up with years ago. Tuvok in Voyager never finished his training so he's really angry half the time. The original series looks a bit dated now, but it handled it a lot better than the other series that had Vulcans - Journey To Babel shows what Spock's really like and his difficulty with living between two very different cultures, having grown up on Vulcan and now being the only Vulcan among a ship full of humans. When he keeps saying "blah blah I am a vulcan I have no emotions", he's trying to convince himself as much as anyone else.

No idea how Data's emotions are supposed to work though. There's always a mawkish bit in every Data episode where he pauses a little or he does a weird facial expression or makes a decision based on "emotions" and you're meant to think "aww he does have feelings after all" but it never makes sense. And then there's the question of what he's defining as emotions or feelings (he can "feel" all sorts of things, he can detect whether a piece of music is pleasing to his brain and what that one kid's painting was meant to express) and why his "positronic brain" can't replicate them specifically when it can apparently do just about everything else a human brain can do.

edit:

Dax actually called them out on that in that one DS9 episode where they all play baseball against some Vulcans for some reason. They go on about "human emotions" when the DS9 team's celebrating their win and she just says "did I forget to put my spots on today?" and pisses them off even more. I've no idea why any Vulcans other than Spock would say that.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Whoops sorry I thought this was the quote your favorite movie posts thread

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"Your move to start playing chess, creep."

-Stephen Hawking against the other robot in that chess playing movie

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

"Its oozing into our water supply. Farmers say its flowing from the woods onto the pasture" The Forest Gump

Sinister quotes itt

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
"i assure you I am fully functional and programmed for pleasure." -Data the robot, Starwars 2

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
"ching chong ping pong" - steven segal

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
My life for aiur!! - star wars

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

"he dead."

-alive

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
"i know a lot of starwars 2 quotes" -Chewy, Starwars 3

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

yippee ki yay mr falcon

You see what happens, Larry? You see what happens? This is what happens, Larry when you find a stranger in the alps! See what happens Larry? See what happens when you feed a stoner scrambled eggs?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 20, 2016

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"mind the drawings" - haniinol lecture, 3 officers and a gentleman

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hes loving dead anyway. Find a rock and we can at least end his suffering. One big blow to the head should do it. Just break his skull in - alvin and the chipmmunks: the road chip

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
*whispers* do u want 2 gently caress -The Horse Whisperer

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
wax on wax off - iron man

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
"Talk about a Menorah-ty report!" -Adam Sandler, The 8 crazy nights

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
"Mista Jones! Mista Jones!" - The Counting Crows

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
"how can i rape someone if thier asleep. think about it" -Bill Crosby, herbie goes bananas

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Isaac posted:

*whispers* do u want 2 gently caress -The Horse Whisperer

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
"sick children are loving gross" - the princess bride

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the Gump.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

the mountain is exploding all over we need to get off this exploding mountain and also away from the gremlins that are on the mountain

-joe dantes peak

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hes doubling in size every 4 hours. By the end of the week he will be altering the gravity of the earth - The Big Lebowski

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
One, two, three, four, five , six ? Seven , 8, nine, ten, 11. Thats the whole crew and we're having fun on the beach!!! - oceans 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Keep away from Beetlejuice, 
Unless you're tired of living, 
His enemies are mostly dead, 
He's mean and unforgiving, 
Laugh at him and you're undone, 
But in some dreadful fashion, 
Vengeance, he considers fun,