Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I always just end up wanting buttons on any phone game that remotely resembles an actual video game. And no, I'm not pairing a DS4 with my phone like a loving goober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Mobile gaming is possibly not the future anymore, it's dominated by a couple major games and everything else seems to get buried.

Unless some kind of major change comes along, like set top boxes with actual controllers becoming big, but I doubt it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wait, what happened to those steam boxes or nvidia boxes or whatever they were? They still coming out?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nierbo posted:

Wait, what happened to those steam boxes or nvidia boxes or whatever they were? They still coming out?

ones came out over the winter i think but i never heard about them since.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nierbo posted:

Current gen consoles are bad, but those turned out even more bad.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
the company behind them went bankrupt and all they ever released was a wireless keyboard meant for htpcs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-2f8nV8Cc

wait i was thinking of a different attempt at making a console out of a pc nevermind.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Nierbo posted:

You can see why this was such a dumb idea just scrolling down the list here.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines

Are you looking for a $500 entry level machine? A $4000 fuckoff rig? All here on the list, next to each other, with very little to help inform the customer about why each one is different.

Also, the Steam machines here only take Steam games which use Steam OS, which is relatively few of them and defeats the entire purpose.

If you want a cheap-ish gaming PC in a console-like box that gives current-gen console-like power, the Alienware Alpha R2 is a somewhat better option because it actually runs Windows, but...

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha-r2-desktop/pd

(The R2 is the second one over)

It's $599 compared to the XBone and PS4 both being in the $300 range now. It's even more expensive if you pick one of the further over variants. It'd run almost all games on Steam acceptably well (though certainly not maxed out or above 1080p) and it's probably the most bang for your buck you're going to get for a prebuilt console-sized PC that plugs into your TV and gives you a console-like experience.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wow what an embarrassment.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Time to make space in your calendars around 7th of September, since that'll be Sony's reveal date of the PS4 Neo console. That's right, they're trying to sell you the same console again, except it won't just be smaller this time around. Or so games journalist keep saying, but who do we trust in this biz? :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think the neo isn't worth worrying over. people talk about sony abandoning the ps4 or losing faith in its power but that's not the way the economics are going to work for devs who want that install base.

i really think its just an evolution of the mid gen console revision only now with the ability to add power along with new output options and smaller chips etc.

they'll likely have a new slim version of the base model at a dirt cheap price too so it will be win win. sony reels in the whales, the base price and used price falls for people without a console, and people with a console can keep playing all the games.

the only thing i'm worried about is the rumors of vita trinity. i really don't want to see sony launch another handheld unless the name implies that its actually a handheld ps3

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just want to the Neo to compete with the Scorpio, otherwise I might go back to MS, and I don't want to do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just want to the Neo to compete with the Scorpio, otherwise I might go back to MS, and I don't want to do that.

what does compete mean? it will have all the same games. those games are required by sony to be 1080p30 and upscale to fit 4k displays.

the scorpio is not going to do more than that even at a 2 extra teraflops and it won't have any exclusives that you couldn't play buying a best buy budget pc for probably only a little more than the launch msrp they are going to gouge the lifestyle fans (lol) for

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Disney dumped infinity in preparation to own nintendo

whoa... :tinfoil:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

univbee posted:

I know this is what you're inferring but this trailer needs to be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszPXD8PSdY

Well Konami you've done it. You've taught me that nothing is sacred. Metal Gear Solid 3, one of the greatest video games on the ps2, and of all time...and...you're loving....just....you're loving....making it into goddamn this? You've taught me that anything will be sold, destroyed, and poo poo on, just for quick money. Please, just, loving dissolve into nothingness. Give away all of your companies that you own, give away of your IPs and loving die.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

if gamestop offers a trade up deal and the neo looks good/worth it. i might bite.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

smell this posted:

Well Konami you've done it. You've taught me that nothing is sacred. Metal Gear Solid 3, one of the greatest video games on the ps2, and of all time...and...you're loving....just....you're loving....making it into goddamn this? You've taught me that anything will be sold, destroyed, and poo poo on, just for quick money. Please, just, loving dissolve into nothingness. Give away all of your companies that you own, give away of your IPs and loving die.

Source your quotes

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I wonder if Sony is going to stick to the requirement they laid out in the initial leaked Neo documents that developers maintain a certain framerate throughout their games. They certainly didn't care about that before, and I don't think they bothered to set up ant way to measure it. Are they going to licence out Digital Foundry's technique?

A good poster fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 16, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

PS4 Neo Rumors:

PS4 Neo specs will be about what has been rumored already:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/772768395104321536

Despite this, at least one game engine has been run at full 4K resolution:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/772786105615802368

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
So games that run janky on the regular versions of these consoles will still run janky at 1080p on the new versions and just be able to run jankier near 4K?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

idk who would be disappointed besides dudes who can't live having the technically weaker system.

nobody was going to throw their pc in the trash cause neo came out

these tflops figures don't matter. if they mattered, ps4 being 2x xb1 would come out to more than a few frames of difference in performance and more than 900p vs 1080p. like xb1 could have been a contender even at its current spec if it had games people wanted, didn't have a 100 dollar kinect tax and disasterous pr at launch, and wasn't an assy hardware and ui experience. console war history is full of the weaker system winning.

if tflops mattered that much it would mean that ps4 neo being 2x ps4 would come out to more than just guaranteed 1080p and more stable fps.

when scorpio launches at only 133% of ps4 neo in tflops for like 150-200 dollars more it will be totally meaningless and another sales disaster.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 6, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
If Neo launches this year, the power difference won't matter.

Being the mainstream platform of choice + a year head-start on the upgrade train is too much for Microsoft to overcome.

Then they'll just release another PS4 revision in like 2 years that's more powerful than the Scorpio.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
You'll still get neo games with some lovely 60 FOV and no slider

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

gotta make those health and safty warnings count

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The PS4.5 will be bad but it will have the right kind of ram.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

idk who would be disappointed besides dudes who can't live having the technically weaker system.

nobody was going to throw their pc in the trash cause neo came out

these tflops figures don't matter. if they mattered, ps4 being 2x xb1 would come out to more than a few frames of difference in performance and more than 900p vs 1080p. like xb1 could have been a contender even at its current spec if it had games people wanted, didn't have a 100 dollar kinect tax and disasterous pr at launch, and wasn't an assy hardware and ui experience. console war history is full of the weaker system winning.

if tflops mattered that much it would mean that ps4 neo being 2x ps4 would come out to more than just guaranteed 1080p and more stable fps.

when scorpio launches at only 133% of ps4 neo in tflops for like 150-200 dollars more it will be totally meaningless and another sales disaster.

PS4 is 1.5x XB1 (1.28tflops vs 1.84 tflops).

900p displays 1.44 million pixels. 1080p displays 2.07 million pixels, or...about 50% more.

These numbers match almost exactly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

no one cares

Patter Song posted:

PS4 is 1.5x XB1 (1.28tflops vs 1.84 tflops).

900p displays 1.44 million pixels. 1080p displays 2.07 million pixels, or...about 50% more.

These numbers match almost exactly.

theres more at play than just tflops though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

will it be called the PS 4s or the PS 4+

e: they should call it the Nintendo New PS4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps4k

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So for the Sony announcement should we TVIV here or in the PS4 thread?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

no one cares

theres more at play than just tflops though

Of course, I'm just saying the 2/3rds power difference is in line with the 900p vs 1080p difference because 900p is 2/3rds of 1080p.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rastor posted:

So for the Sony announcement should we TVIV here or in the PS4 thread?

sharktank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Super No Vacancy posted:

thread for retards
so, all of them then?

• Locked thread