Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

We're going back to Egypt, everyone!

Hexen II Part 3/5

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- The bone shards are powerful, but very mana inefficient. Think of them essentially as a high-powered, high ammo consuming gatling gun.
- The message warning that "those who defile the sacred stream will be punished with death", I think, refers to the mystic urn on a pillar. You need to use the bridge to cross the water, and then climb onto the stone structure and leap for the urn to get it. Passing over the edge of the water raises the urn (almost) out of reach.
- The ring of turning (AKA Ring of Reflection) supposedly reflects projectile attacks. None of the enemies in the area use projectile attacks.
- The first part of the Fourth Weapon is found at the Bridge of Stars - that place where you need to place the 4 elements.
- The Raven Staff's default mode uses 8 mana of both types per shot. That's extravagantly expensive. The powered-up version, however, IS the game's equivalent of Wraithverge.
- Each class's Glyph of the Ancients works differently. The Assassin gets a trip mine that attaches a chain to a wall you're facing, the necromancer gets a slow homing mine. The Paladin gets a grenade and the Crusader gets a stationary time bomb.
- Death flies slowly in a circle through the air. This is like the one enemy the Assassin can reliably backstab, although it does little good.
- I found the enemies in Egypt to be the ones most tricky to kill for the necromancer.

I really appreciate these posts! They've really filled the gaps in my knowledge about the game.. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Temin_Dump posted:

We're going back to Egypt, everyone!

Hexen II Part 3/5

It is disturbingly often, that you update just as I'm missing something for my evening coffee. :tipshat:

E:

Poor New Bis and his Maulotaur line attack. It's just not the same. I'm glad I didn't get much farther than Medieval World; this entire hub looked obnoxious.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- There are two variations of mummies. The first kind almost stops showing up completely after the first map and instead gets replaced with the Mummy Lord, with more HP and a staff which shoots a line of fire at you which hurts a lot.
- The switch near the spike pit drops the Dark Scepter.
- The spike pit is high enough that you usually take falling damage even if you miss the spikes.

- The Torch is pretty useless. It creates a tiny radius of light, which ends well before you can see any ranged enemies.
- The scarab of time was in that chest underwater in the Palace part of the hub.
- That strange force confused me because the enemy there was invulnerable, no matter how much I shot it.
- The orb of light in the throne room really does hurt.

- The dumb puzzle with the three sets of three switches gets you a canopic jar, not a crown.
- The solstice puzzle is something like "the summer solstice is in the constellation of a hippopotamus", and the other half is "a solstice is two past the constellation of gemini", so you turn it to two past Gemini.

- Pestilence, naturally, inflicts poison onto you. It's really quite dangerous.
- Re: Death Reel - Yeah, as I said, the Necromancer's weapons aren't great at the Egyptian enemies. I think because they all require lots of focused aiming and shooting.
- That pit below the snake statue is supposed to teleport you back up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

Poor New Bis and his Maulotaur line attack. It's just not the same. I'm glad I didn't get much farther than Medieval World; this entire hub looked obnoxious.
It's improved but it's, y'know, still Hexen. I never could figure out whether the level design was intentially obtuse to emulate dungeon crawlers or something or whether the devs just thought this was good.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

It's improved but it's, y'know, still Hexen. I never could figure out whether the level design was intentially obtuse to emulate dungeon crawlers or something or whether the devs just thought this was good.

At least I got somewhere in Hexen 1, because while the game's riddled with switch hunts, it's just that, switch hunts. You'll get it eventually.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Time to take down another horseman!
Hexen II Part 4/5

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Every day a Temin post is a good day

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I'm also not a fan of the fourth hub. It's less interesting and the enemies are even bullet spongier than normal. And those loving spiders are nightmares. At least by this point, the Necromancer has leveled up enough to more consistently recover soul essences and health from the sickle.
- If the Medusa's attack reduces you to under like 11% health, you turn to stone then she walks up and headbutts you. Her other attack is a series of homing projectiles which travel around corners, so she doesn't even need line of sight to shoot you. She's at least a 4 star PITA.
- The Discs of Repulsion will send the Medusa's projectiles back to home in on her.

- The plaques on the walls at the level transitions often have hints for secrets and such, which is a nice touch.
- For instance, the puzzle at 11:40, one plaque around the Garden of Athena entrance" says "Choose Life Above all others". That means pick the button corresponding to the Mystic Urn. Both the others drop the floor into lava.
- For the trap at 14:18, one plaque says something like "don't draw weapons before the Altar of Athena", which means don't attack, or else the statues will come to life. That's why they came alive when you attacked the corpse.
- Both areas in the Forum of Zeus are connected, it's just that a door needs to be opened from the other side.
- I believe that the Lightning which zaps you in at the Throne of Zeus is because you didn't heed the sign warning you to be penitent before the Throne of Zeus, which means crouch. I didn't get the lightning or the enemy spawns when I crouch-walked through the room. It could be that attacking also triggered something.

- The Necromancer's intelligence ranges between 15-18, but Intelligence apparently has no effect on anything in the game.

- I missed two of the treasures in the room of treasures. No idea where I missed them. I went back and looked carefully (before officially entering the room).

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

At long last, the conclusion!
Hexen II Part 5/5

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I'm also not a fan of the fourth hub. It's less interesting and the enemies are even bullet spongier than normal. And those loving spiders are nightmares. At least by this point, the Necromancer has leveled up enough to more consistently recover soul essences and health from the sickle.
- If the Medusa's attack reduces you to under like 11% health, you turn to stone then she walks up and headbutts you. Her other attack is a series of homing projectiles which travel around corners, so she doesn't even need line of sight to shoot you. She's at least a 4 star PITA.
- The Discs of Repulsion will send the Medusa's projectiles back to home in on her.

- The plaques on the walls at the level transitions often have hints for secrets and such, which is a nice touch.
- For instance, the puzzle at 11:40, one plaque around the Garden of Athena entrance" says "Choose Life Above all others". That means pick the button corresponding to the Mystic Urn. Both the others drop the floor into lava.
- For the trap at 14:18, one plaque says something like "don't draw weapons before the Altar of Athena", which means don't attack, or else the statues will come to life. That's why they came alive when you attacked the corpse.
- Both areas in the Forum of Zeus are connected, it's just that a door needs to be opened from the other side.
- I believe that the Lightning which zaps you in at the Throne of Zeus is because you didn't heed the sign warning you to be penitent before the Throne of Zeus, which means crouch. I didn't get the lightning or the enemy spawns when I crouch-walked through the room. It could be that attacking also triggered something.

- The Necromancer's intelligence ranges between 15-18, but Intelligence apparently has no effect on anything in the game.

- I missed two of the treasures in the room of treasures. No idea where I missed them. I went back and looked carefully (before officially entering the room).

Thanks again for sharing all this information. I feel like I could work some of this into the next "Stuff I Missed" video for sure!

Also worth noting, I'm going back to school starting at the end of January, so that might have an impact on video releases. I'm a bit bummed because the video releases are already slower than I would have liked, but I'm still hoping to have a somewhat steady stream of stuff coming!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Temin_Dump posted:

Also worth noting, I'm going back to school starting at the end of January, so that might have an impact on video releases.

That sounds cool, though! Won't be able to watch this until after Christmas, but I'm looking forward to the demise of, uh.. is it Eidolon we're fighting? Or was that the other sequel?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- The invulnerability time of Fallen Angel seems to be tied to looking at them. They can hold their REFLECTING block for what certainly feels like an indefinite amount of time, and if it drops and you fire, they can put it back up INSTANTLY.
- The "ghost" Fallen Angels are the harder variant, Fallen Angel Lords.
- At 5:45, you were hitting just to the left of the book you needed to hit to open up a secret.
- The body of the guy who had been leaving all the messages (and who had also apparently killed all the Horsemen before you) was in the bottom of the bell tower. There's a message which says "you have found the body of [that guy's name]"

- I have 18 GB (~3000-ish files) of videogame music.
- THAT'S how you get the Raven Ring! I couldn't figure out how. I was able to jump onto a nearby ledge, but I couldn't quite get to the ring.

- The final boss can kill the crossbow himself with some of his attacks. That's stupid. You'd think that they could just make that ballista invulnerable, since it's a last-resort weapon.

- Do you know how much the Assassin's ultimate weapon sucks? Too much. You would think that with a big bad ultimate weapon, a tome of power, and a final boss, the correct thing to do would be combine them together. But you would be wrong, at least for the Assassin. Unpowered, you can hold the trigger down a small amount of time to produce a low-mana, low-power shot. When powered up with a Tome, though, it fires homing shots for 30 of each color mana. The Assassin's mana tops out at 198, so 6 shots. On my recent playthrough, I tried using the powered ultimate weapon on the boss. There is not enough mana to kill the boss. I had 4 Kraters of Might in my inventory, got two more from the arena, and even used a Chaos Device to return to the start of the map to grab the extra weapons there. Even with god mode on so I could concentrate only on shooting. even only killing the orb with the melee weapon, I ran completely and totally dry of ammo. The ultimate weapon is nothing but a worthless trap.

- The actual way to kill the boss as the Assassin is to completely ignore the ultimate weapon, and use the one single good weapon the Assassin has: the Grenade. Powered up it's a high-damage cluster bomb. I drained the ammo. then when that ammo runs dry, the crossbow, an only after I'm completely empty do I use a Krater. Doing the boss fight that way, I blew through his first form incredibly quickly, and ultimately only used 2 Kraters of Might in total, still leaving 2 in the arena, and all the ammo at the start. I didn't even need to use god mode.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 23, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Now that we're done with the game, I was wondering: How difficult are the puzzles playing through? I always remember it having a lot of "wtf am I supposed to do here" running around...but that might have been just because I was a kid. I ended up getting the hard copy strategy guide but even with that, I'm pretty sure I often ended up using quite a bit of no clip/cheats to find my way through stuff.

Any plans to do multiplayer for it? Combat-wise, you kept mentioning that enemy health was way too high; wonder if it might be less of an issue either in co-op (if it exists?) or multiplayer where you're facing equally squishy human opponents.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

We are redoing our Doom 1 co-op stream because the original never got archived! Sorry for the long wait between videos. School has kept me busier than usual!

Scialen
Nov 5, 2010

Look into my eyes...

Temin_Dump posted:

Sorry for the long wait between videos. School has kept me busier than usual!

No worries, Temin! Always great to hear from you, and I've been going through the entire playlist again as good background content during the day. I actually forgot just how much there is :stare: and it's actually pretty awesome there is a lot.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Scialen posted:

No worries, Temin! Always great to hear from you, and I've been going through the entire playlist again as good background content during the day. I actually forgot just how much there is :stare: and it's actually pretty awesome there is a lot.

The Keen 3 horror show is a good rewatch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Temin_Dump posted:

DeHackEd Special
Come watch us fudge with doom2.exe bits!
Thanks to Tiggum for creating the patch we looked at! :)
I felt like doing some more work on this patch yesterday, and did a bit more today, so if anyone's interested in checking out the latest version it's now available - along with all previous versions if you want to see what changed along the way. And if anyone's got any comments or feedback I'd love to hear what you think of it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man I can't believe I missed this thread until now. I've got a lot of videos to watch to catch up, I'll be sure to post my next comment in 2024 when I'm done. :v:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Man I can't believe I missed this thread until now. I've got a lot of videos to watch to catch up, I'll be sure to post my next comment in 2024 when I'm done. :v:

Maybe Temin will have posted a new video by then. ;)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Technowolf posted:

Maybe Temin will have posted a new video by then. ;)

Hahahah.

Well, I'm up to the Strife videos so far and... the soundtrack for a lot of Strife REALLY reminds me of the soundtrack for System Shock 1.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
These posts made me re-watch the entire series. I hope Temin and Co continue with it, its always a fun watch.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Aye! They're comfy to watch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Did anyone here ever play the Doom Eternal DLC? Has anyone? I don't even remember if they released one or two - did they even exist? :ghost:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Did anyone here ever play the Doom Eternal DLC? Has anyone? I don't even remember if they released one or two - did they even exist? :ghost:
The DLC was titled Part 1 and Part 2, so it's technically two pieces of DLC but it's really just one that got split into multiple parts due to release timelines. It was quite good and included some fun new content, a couple new bosses and enemies, etc, but nothing ground-breaking or that shifts up the formula. Best way to describe it is "we heard you liked Doom Eternal, so here's another 10 hours of it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

The DLC was titled Part 1 and Part 2, so it's technically two pieces of DLC but it's really just one that got split into multiple parts due to release timelines. It was quite good and included some fun new content, a couple new bosses and enemies, etc, but nothing ground-breaking or that shifts up the formula. Best way to describe it is "we heard you liked Doom Eternal, so here's another 10 hours of it".

Did it advance the, uh, plot?