Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Problem description: I recently made the switch from a GTX 770 to a GTX 980 Ti "Kingpin". For a single boot, everything SEEMED to work fine and I went about installing the latest Nvidia drivers. However, on reboot, I lost HDMI video the moment I would normally need to log into Windows, but could tell that the PC was still running, the card's fans are spinning, and the LED lighting on the card is going through its default gaudy color cycling. I restarted in safe mode and uninstalled the drivers from the control panel (not ideal, obviously) and was told that I'd have to restart. Upon restart in normal mode, I had 1920x1080 resolution and the device manager recognized the display adapter properly as a GTX 980 Ti but, after a few minutes, Windows informed me that it had "successfully" installed drivers for the display adapter and I would need to restart.

I thought that was strange, especially because I don't have Windows update automatically downloading or installing anything--certainly not video drivers.

When I restarted, I no longer had video at the Windows login menu (like before). Back into Safe Mode, I see that a slightly older version of the Nvidia Display drivers are installed. Repeat the process of uninstalling them, restarting in normal mode, and being told that Windows has successfully installed drivers for the display adapter.

This goes on for a few reboots, with increasingly older versions of Nvidia display drivers appearing in the program manager. My guess is that these were the remnants of when I foolishly updated the Nvidia driver without completely wiping clean the earlier drivers.

Eventually I get to a point where Windows no longer announces that it has installed drivers for the GTX 980 Ti. Just to be safe, I use the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Guru3D and finally nuke the PC of any display driver remnants.

Back to installing the 364.72 drivers from scratch--back to the same problem: No display when I get to Windows. I use DDU again and, this time, install the Nvidia Display drivers that came on a CD with the card. They were 355.xx's of some sort. Same issue.

The one weird thing that may be completely unrelated is that the card (apparently) requires 2x 8-pin and 1x 6-pin power adapter. My Thermaltake PSU comes with up to 4x 8x-pin PCI-E cables that are actually 6+2 pins. That was never an issue for the GTX 770, which required 2x 8-pins, but I noticed that the 6-pin adapter that came with the card (and the illustration of it in the super threadbare manual) has one of the middle pins hollow...whereas the Thermaltake 6-pins have something inside each of the "pins" and no hollow tubes.

TL;DR: I installed a new GPU and whenever I install the corresponding drivers for it, I no longer have video when I reach the Windows login menu in a normal boot status.

Attempted fixes: This is mostly covered in in the problem description, but I've tried probably half a dozen different driver versions--sometimes installing only the bare necessities, other times installing the complete package (including GeForce experience), used DDU to wipe the drive clean of drivers, double- and triple-checked to make sure that I've got proper power to the card, and that the card's physical switch is set to "normal" (as opposed to "OC" or "LN2").

Recent changes: Installed the GTX 980 Ti Kingpin.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: Windows 7 64-bit, i5 6600k, Gigabyte GA-Z170x-Gaming 5 Mobo, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, EVGA GTX 980Ti Kingpin (72% ASIC), Thermaltake m850w modular 850 watt PSU. Numerous driver versions of Nvidia GPU drivers, including the latest (364.72), ASUS Ve249h 1920x1080 monitor connected via HDMI.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
UPDATE:

I should also add that I have tried connecting the GPU to the monitor via DVI cable (to see if it was a bad HDMI port or something) and had the same issues.

I've plugged the computer into a different "monitor" (a 32" TV that has a native resolution of 720p) and had the same issues with signal loss at the Windows login screen.

I've tried disabling whatever integrated graphics exist in case there is a conflict (although I think this i5-6600k comes with HD 530 graphics and I don't think I ever installed software for this--at least, the only thing that shows up in the Device Manager Display Devices drop-down is the GTX 980 Ti). This includes going into the BIOS and making sure that the default graphics device is PCI-E 1.

I've reinstalled the GTX 770 and confirmed that everything works fine with it.

There aren't any instability issues with regards to crashing, blue screens, or obvious signs of power fluctuations, overheating, etc. In fact, the monitor loses signal at precisely the same point in the boot-up cycle every single time, and has zero issues booting into safe mode and then staying there indefinitely.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 22, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest BIOS:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5498#bios

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I have the exact same motherboard with the exact same issue.. but using a Radeon HD 7970. I've been blaming the AMD drivers since it happens either during the driver install or as soon as the computer reaches the login screen but maybe it is a MB thing..

Some fixes suggested for the red side suggest disabling the integrated Intel gpu.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

That's definitely something somebody else brought up--currently running BIOS version F3, planning on flashing to F5.

I actually gave the card's manufacturer, EVGA, almost an exact run-down of the OP (with some additional steps that I had taken since posting) and they approved an RMA in literally 7 minutes which is bizarrely fast and would almost seem automated, but it doesn't sound the process actually is automated. The card should be getting to them on Wednesday, with an expectation of receiving a replacement in the mail at the beginning of next week.

I'm half-tempted to leave the BIOS at version F3 and see if the card works without flashing, just so I can tell for sure if it was a problem with the card or the BIOS (or something else), especially since I've discovered that a LOT of people seem to have issues like this and it would be good to be able to provide a positive "fix" for people with the same issue.

Ceros_X posted:

I have the exact same motherboard with the exact same issue.. but using a Radeon HD 7970. I've been blaming the AMD drivers since it happens either during the driver install or as soon as the computer reaches the login screen but maybe it is a MB thing..

Some fixes suggested for the red side suggest disabling the integrated Intel gpu.

What is your BIOS version? And have you gotten any other GPUs to work with it?

The thing that threw me off is that you can install drivers with the GTX 980 Ti installed, reboot, and get the "no signal" issue at the Windows login screen...but if I then force the PC to shutdown and physically replace the 980 with my 770, it works immediately on restart and can go right back into playing games like nothing ever happened. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now as I wait for my replacement GPU. I'd write this off as an outdated BIOS (and the fact that the 770 is older than the 980)...but an HD 7970 is even older than the 770. Not that that necessarily means anything.

With regards to disabling the IGFX, that was one of the first few things I did once I started legitimately troubleshooting the problem late last week. Even with IGFX disabled in BIOS, the problem persisted. Weirdly, I don't recall ever installing any software for the Intel HD 530 integrated graphics, and have nothing to disable in the Windows device manager (besides the 980 or "VGA Graphics Adapter" it's identified as pre-driver installation). Supposedly I should be seeing something there if the HD 530 was installed correctly?

So what's going on with your stuff, anyway?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 26, 2016

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Whoops, I have the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 motherboard. They only have bios version F4, and I flashed from F3 to F4.

I have attempted to disable the on board graphics in the Bios, as well as through Windows and that didn't work either.

I'll keep messing around and then let you know what I find out. Interested to know if your card swap fixes it.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

With regards to disabling the IGFX, that was one of the first few things I did once I started legitimately troubleshooting the problem late last week. Even with IGFX disabled in BIOS, the problem persisted. Weirdly, I don't recall ever installing any software for the Intel HD 530 integrated graphics, and have nothing to disable in the Windows device manager (besides the 980 or "VGA Graphics Adapter" it's identified as pre-driver installation). Supposedly I should be seeing something there if the HD 530 was installed correctly?

So what's going on with your stuff, anyway?

It sounds like windows is defaulting to the integrated graphics driver even if you disabled it in the bios. The software for it would likely automatically install with windows. If you're able to boot properly into Safe-Mode while connected to your video card this might be the cause. Safe mode would force it to use a default microsoft video card driver rather than Intel or Nvidia drivers. When you get your 980TI back, if the issue is persisting boot into safe mode and uninstall the intel graphics driver and then reboot normally and see what happens. I would still update your BIOS if that fixes it though, just so you know it's up-to-date for any other issues that might pop up.

Same thing goes for you Ceros_X, it's worth a shot. A good indicator might be leaving the integrated video enabled or video option in the bios set to auto and then boot up and if you lose signal with the main card move the cable to the on-board port and see if signal is regained.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Just got a brand new GTX 980 Ti Kingpin from the EVGA RMA program (now I have two of these ugly-rear end shirts) plugged it in, and everything worked without any additional fuckery. This thing completely crushes every game I have installed on the desktop, even when compared to the overclocked GTX 770 Lightning I replaced--so I know it's working.

BIOS is still F3, not F5, so I can confirm that the BIOS was not the issue (although I've been researching this issue extensively over the past few weeks and, from the number of people who solved their problem with a BIOS update, that's still definitely a good thing to check for). Card must have been faulty.

Ceros_X--since your problem is virtually identical to mine and it sounds like you have the latest BIOS version on your Gigabyte Z170 mobo, you may unfortunately have a bad GPU at this point.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 6, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just got a brand new GTX 980 Ti Kingpin from the EVGA RMA program (now I have two of these ugly-rear end shirts) plugged it in, and everything worked without any additional fuckery. This thing completely crushes every game I have installed on the desktop, even when compared to the overclocked GTX 770 Lightning I replaced--so I know it's working.

BIOS is still F3, not F5, so I can confirm that the BIOS was not the issue (although I've been researching this issue extensively over the past few weeks and, from the number of people who solved their problem with a BIOS update, that's still definitely a good thing to check for). Card must have been faulty.

I can't say I'm shocked. Anecdotally, over the years EVGA GPUs have gotten a lot of complaints here.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

I can't say I'm shocked. Anecdotally, over the years EVGA GPUs have gotten a lot of complaints here.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. At least their RMA and customer service is good, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I just said gently caress it and bought a used Nvidia 750 Ti 2gb (for $75 off a goon until Pascal shakes itself out), worked flawlessly with no fuckery.

Edit: I also used the Driver removal tool I found oft recommended that had an option to block Windows from automatically installing a driver. Still had issues.

• Locked thread