Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Milky Moor posted:

I loved TBS2, much more than the first one, at any rate. If I remember the article right, the developers spent a lot on marketing which kind of surprised me because, yeah, it doesn't feel like it had any exposure at all. Suddenly, one day, it was just out. Overall, I think those three points are right. My thought process was basically:
- Like it or not, TBS1 is a great game in spite of its combat system (every battle tends to be same-y), not because of it, for a lot of people. TBS2 fixes a lot of issues but also - among people I know - doesn't fix the underlying issues there and no one came back to the sequel. I don't know how accurate SteamSpy numbers are but comparing TBS1 (795k owners) and TBS2 (100k) is surprising (the percentage holds up for my personal friends list on Steam, at least). This thread didn't exactly do well, either.

Hi, I am one of those people! I really loved Banner Saga 1 due to the narrative and CYOA rather than the combat, but it had been so long after I beat it that I didn't feel any sense of urgency to play TBS2, specially with a third game still coming. So I added it to my wishlist to remember that it existed and grab it in the future when it gets on a ridiculous discount or when the whole series is out. Anyways, I feel there is a lot of people in a similar boat as me. I am also genuinely glad that their Kickstarter seems to be doing well, and it is probable it is getting financed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/banner-saga-3/description

The third game has reached its funding goal, and they are now doing stretch goals.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

My biggest problem with the Banner Sagas so far is the annoying writer's trick of introducing a bunch of big mysteries that probably won't have answers until the minute they're written down in the last five minutes of the last game. 2 was a little better on this, but still frustrating.

Though I'll admit to laughing when Juno uses mind control to get people to stop asking questions.

I will probably buy BS3 for full price the day it comes out, though, because the first two were pretty and fun and I can't afford to back it just now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

aegof posted:

My biggest problem with the Banner Sagas so far is the annoying writer's trick of introducing a bunch of big mysteries that probably won't have answers until the minute they're written down in the last five minutes of the last game. 2 was a little better on this, but still frustrating.

Though I'll admit to laughing when Juno uses mind control to get people to stop asking questions.

I will probably buy BS3 for full price the day it comes out, though, because the first two were pretty and fun and I can't afford to back it just now.

I felt like 2 handled it worse. For all the time we spent with the cast and the world, it didn't really feel like things advanced and, beyond maybe two or three little details, we know just as much at the end as we did at the start. It also ended on one of the worst cliffhangers in recent memory with Canary.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I may be giving 2 undue credit because Juno's big box actually got opened in the same game it was introduced in, which I absolutely did not expect.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

aegof posted:

I may be giving 2 undue credit because Juno's big box actually got opened in the same game it was introduced in, which I absolutely did not expect.

Yea, this exactly. Imo 2's plot advanced far more than the original, largely b/c they didn't have to introduce every character+motivation and you jump right in where 1 left off. 2's story was far more satisfying and had a lot of foreshadowing as to where the plot is going to end up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I took a break for a while and decided to do Hard mode with no deaths before moving on to TBS2 though when I do I'll use my original save with my actual choices and gently caress ups. I'm also using this as a chance to pick up the last two achievements other than the Hard mode ones, keep Egg alive and not killing humans with Alette. Get used to marching on no supplies because I'm not paying for them at markets you punks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I've decided that Extra Ruthless Alette w/ sweet innocent Egil by her side is the best playthrough.

• Locked thread