Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
[I wouldn't say "too fast" but... Maybe a little advance notice that the update is coming for those of us who haven't gotten one out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm gonna be limited in Internet for a couple days (honestly wouldn't even mention it if it weren't for josef bugman's unbelievable update pace) so don't expect much me until probably Monday, possibly Tuesday.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm gonna be limited in Internet for a couple days (honestly wouldn't even mention it if it weren't for josef bugman's unbelievable update pace) so don't expect much me until probably Monday, possibly Tuesday.

That is fine mate! Hope you get internet back soon!

professor_curly posted:

Aldsen

Completing the tutorial round, as I understand the rules I can now spend a Hero Point to bump my results after I've seen the outcome. This will leave me at 2 hero points / 3, and the book recommends describing some other skill or happenstance that leads to this new result. Aldsen is going to take a different tack and see if he can't track this rumbling and stench through the Spirit World and still get back in time for some kind of useful warning. So he might find something, but take too much time to for there to be a big prepared defense, or what have you.

So that bumps my Success to a Critical Success vs your Critical Success. These two cancel, but I rolled a 5 versus the 1, resulting in a marginal victory for me, which gives no mechanical bonus as a Consequence of Victory, but might have narrative impact later?

Heya mate, just bringing rules discussions over to this thread so that it won't bog things down. You can bump your result, but the numbers are like this at the moment

GM:1 vs 14W
Alden: 5 vs 3 W

The W's are masteries and cancel each other, so in this case it's a failure vs a Critical. If you boost it, your boost goes up to making it a success versus a critical. You'd have to spend another Hero point in order to get it to the level you described above.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ah, ok. Well, I'll still use the one hero point since I said I would. So a minor defeat instead of a major one.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

professor_curly posted:

Ah, ok. Well, I'll still use the one hero point since I said I would. So a minor defeat instead of a major one.

That's fine mate, will add it in to the results I am compiling (bwhahaha)

Just as a quick thing guys, my parents are going to be visiting me for the first bit of the coming week, I will try and respond to anything people post but as it looks as if a few people are currently waiting on their own internet, I will probably only be updating once or twice over the next 3 or so days.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, so I had a bit of a busier time than I expected, and was kind of seeing if anything more would be going down here. So I will be posting again tonight and then getting back to our regularly scheduled program.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

OK rules knowers, I'm gonna try identifying those items soon, but I wasn't sure what to roll. Is it just a straight Truth check (1W), in which case Balisleron is just as good, or can I add one of my other abilities to it? Can I use Poet for All Seasons (2W) to see if I've heard stories about it, or is that too broad an interpretation? What say you all?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Duckbag posted:

OK rules knowers, I'm gonna try identifying those items soon, but I wasn't sure what to roll. Is it just a straight Truth check (1W), in which case Balisleron is just as good, or can I add one of my other abilities to it? Can I use Poet for All Seasons (2W) to see if I've heard stories about it, or is that too broad an interpretation? What say you all?

Poet for all seasons would probably make it a stretch and make it worse off than the Truth rune. I'd advise just using that to start with!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I have no idea how Zzur would rally the townsfolk (there's a monster army, this is his jam), probably with Man-of-All, but I'm not sure how much weight that carries in Dragon Pass.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I have no idea how Zzur would rally the townsfolk (there's a monster army, this is his jam), probably with Man-of-All, but I'm not sure how much weight that carries in Dragon Pass.

I would go for that one at the moment, and remember if you are rallying the locals who can fight then you can always rely on getting a +6 bonus to it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Duckbag posted:

You do have Seasoned Wayfarer, if you want more of a "may have run into it yourself" flavor.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Going to be posting an update tomorrow morning BST!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As an aside, I think this is a good example of why its best to have the GM do all the rolls. If it weren't for the fact that I already knew Zurrekern was more likely to fail than not, my first instinct would be to have Belisleron support. As it is, I already know that support wouldn't make the difference because it's still be a fumble raised to a failure, so it's all on what the roll vs the difficulty is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Post is up, again apologise for being so slow guys, I am hoping to be able to update every day again, but may have to do just 2-3 times a week!

And to see what reign said, is anyone else in favour of having me roll things? I mean it seems to take away a lot of the stuff that people like to do and really goes against the idea of "Don't make the game 'watch the GM roll dice all the time'"

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'd be fine with it, I don't really care either way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

If you think a roll should be different, feel free to change it, I don't mind.

And Zzur totally dismounted to talk to people. He's a regular guy, he's just also a not-Jedi.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"No one can make you do anythjng!"
*Belisleron makes them do something*

This was a great update.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

"No one can make you do anythjng!"
*Belisleron makes them do something*

Thanks, I thought that just going all "appeal to the sun" might actually help.

wiegieman posted:

If you think a roll should be different, feel free to change it, I don't mind.

And Zzur totally dismounted to talk to people. He's a regular guy, he's just also a not-Jedi.

Not going to change rolls, they are sacrosanct, but will bear in mind what people have said.

Oh I just thought that, when you mentioned lifting yourself up in the saddle. Will be sure to ask in future!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay guys, if people could post in the main thread I'd really appreciate it!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

So I guess we're going to Summons of Evil with the four people still in the game?

:( come on guys

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Yeah, it seems like it's time to say the characters of those who haven't posted were out relieving themselves, and they'll catch up later. Or something along those lines.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Got it, been getting my current computer to work anyway, so will have a setting thing for the ritual up in the next few days, then we are going to start summoning some major baddies.

Just as quick thing, if people could send me their characters fears on the wire that would be awesome as well. Going to try and personalise things as well.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I posted... and got a critical fumble. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the fumble rules as well as when I should spend hero points. Can I spend one in situations like this to make the results less awful, or is there not much point?

Also could you give us a bit more description of the hill itself and how our camp is situated? What time of day is it? I'm having trouble getting a good mental image of the whole thing.

As for Kalan's fears, I'll just post them here since I've been making them pretty obvious anyway. The big'uns relate to being abandoned or losing loved ones, what with being an orphan. As a side effect, he's also afraid to let anyone get close to him or settle down too long in one place. He's not particularly afraid of death itself, but he is afraid of dying unmourned and unremembered, which is why he cares so much about becoming a famous poet and securing his legacy.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 7, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
So basically what you have right now is a Fumble, with one mastery. The Mastery bumps you up one level on this track to a Failure.

If you spend a Hero Point, you can move up the track again to a Success.

However you can wait until you see the results of Josef's roll to decide if you want to do this.

If he rolls a Fumble with no mastery, then you'll get a Minor Victory. Hero point will get you to a Major Victory.

If he rolls a Failure with no mastery, then you'll get a marginal victory (ties going to the high roll, which is you). Hero point will get you to a minor victory.

And so on. But you don't have to decide now. If he rolls something like a Critical with a mastery and all sundry other things, then it won't make a difference. If he rolls an even worse fumble than you (ie a Fumble with no mastery levels) then you'll be deciding whether you want a minor or major victory.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Thanks, prof! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll wait for Josef to roll then.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Just as quick thing, if people could send me their characters fears on the wire that would be awesome as well. Going to try and personalise things as well.

I don't have platinum, so I can't send a PM. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, and then I'll send you Irillo's fears.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I will provide more of a description and rolls tonight (BST). Thanks for the replies guys, and hope you get back online soon duckbag!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There but for the foresight not to Toxx on elections go I.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Heya guys! Sorry about the delay in writing up, but just wanted to report that I am currently in Dublin as my Girlfriend arranged a rather nice late Birthday Present!

Afraid I won't be able to post anything to continue the story too soon, but will be back this coming wednesday, so I hope I can have something up on that day.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

wiegieman posted:

There but for the foresight not to Toxx on elections go I.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time, too.

Oh well, I'm gonna miss that duckatar.

e; Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling. My post should be up later tonight.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 17, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hello there guys! Sorry to post this here but I didn't want to go away without saying sorry.

Over the past few weeks I've had to deal with some stuff that has been going down at home and some things that I have to do at work and in my private life.

I know that the game is, unfortunately, dead. I know that I haven't been very good at sorting out a lot of this, but I hope I was not too bad for a first time GM at any point. I've decided to try and do more of this in real life to get some notches before coming back to something like this. I'd like to thank everyone involved in this for helping me out such a lot, the character ideas have been fantastic and the participation was just examplary. I could not have asked for better players, and I wanted to apologise for letting you all down these past few weeks.

Thank you all so much, and if you have any questions, or just want to yell at me or chat a little I have PM's.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
No problems, it was fun while it lasted. Good luck with things!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

poo poo happens man, that's why we do PBPs. No pressure, you were a good GM.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
These things happen, and for what it's worth I thought you did a great job. If you do another HQ:G PbP in the future, I'd jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

No worries, Josef. It was fun while it lasted. If it's any consolation, this is still the longest running pbp game I've been in on sa.

• Locked thread