Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Unknown Quantity posted:

:staredog: that's looking like a 2 with a d4 effect die and two opportunities. Things are going to go alllll kinds of wrong.

Yeah. If H.E.S. has to be the Pariah, so be it.

It also just dawned on me fully that H.E.S. doesn't have any real combat abilities. I planned on using the SFX that lets me turn energy absorption into a stunt to represent things like venting excess energy and the like. But really, it seems my sole role is going to be to jump in front of incoming enemy badness and protect you squishy folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I should buy a grappling hook when I get some XP. It could shoot out of the end of my staff!

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Werix posted:

well, here is my roll to get everyone out of the way.

get out of the way: 1d10+1d8+1d8 4

:flashfact: So 2 opportunities can be taken as d8 dice - in so doing, I can then spend that d8 to add a distinction to the scene.

Unknown Quantity posted:

:staredog: that's looking like a 2 with a d4 effect die and two opportunities. Things are going to go alllll kinds of wrong.

I'm gonna hit random and see what happens.

edit: Oh no.

By the way, was that dramatic enough for everyone?

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 18, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Trollhawke posted:

Jubilee
As she continues to fly, she makes a desperate dive behind a depraved statue - if she can avoid this,
she can get out of here - someone set them up, but who could have-
Attempting to avoid being blinded (Solo, Aerial ace positive,
Flight)
: 3d8 16 13 effect d8 - almost! However, you have multiple effect dice - is
she eating a d12 or d6? As for the oppurtunity, I'll just pocket a d6 for the time being.

I was coding and was deep enough into it that when I was interrupted out to check this (not your fault don't worry) I can't think straight enough to formulate a full response right now. I'll do it when I wake up in the morning. But I'd been planning to throw the d12 at her. I don't really remember how area attack works, do the others have to resist still or what?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I took the others out so...technically, no.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Aaaand I've finally made my presence known to...just about everyone here. I know HES had a wireless mic, but for convenience's sake I'm just working off the assumption there's one built into the podium. Plus I get to pacifist people into submission in stereo! Granted there may be the issue that given that I stated "Everyone in attendance" that opportunity is going to have me speaking powerful words of peace to everyone, you all included.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I took the others out so...technically, no.

Oh man, I must have been seriously in the wrong zone last night to miss that.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Gambit

"Of COURSE she jumps right in..." he sighed. Unfolding his staff, Remy dropped straight down onto the Hornet with a full-shoulder overhand strike, swinging for a homerun.

Hey don't blame me for that, I tried to say in my post that it was supposed to be delayed until you dropped down but that apparently didn't get communicated properly. It's a hazard of PBP games. So I guess do blame me. Sorry.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was a pretty in-character thing to happen. Anyway, that gets easier to coordinate once we're using the regular tagging rules for actions.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Updated - I probably should have qualified this earlier, but D12 complication takes someone out the scene entirely. Once we've got through the prologue (i.e. this scene) I'll switch over to normal initiative, but to prevent the early loss of momentum I'm using first-come-first-solved in order to keep the game flowing.

I'll be making the Texas post tomorrow.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Remind me, what does an opportunity do?

My plan is to swing in to Viola's aid and, I think use a 'support action' to help her fend the crowd off, can I do that?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Remind me, what does an opportunity do?

My plan is to swing in to Viola's aid and, I think use a 'support action' to help her fend the crowd off, can I do that?

When one of my oppurtunities come up, you may spend 1pp to:
  • Create a d8 push or a d10 stunt, or save it for later (within the scene).
  • Step up an asset or create a resource during an action scene (i.e. now)
  • Use it as a trigger for some sfx or limits.

And yeah, the plan works - probably a good time to do it since I burned a lot of doom pool.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Heroes of the World update 1(2/2): Texas, USA
In case you confused it with Texas, Australia
Texan Heroics is considered to be the second most extreme heroics in America, second only to the full on vigilantism which happens in Hell's kitchen. Unlike Japan, however, Texas works on three rules:
Do or Die, everyone has a gun, and what happens masked stay masked. And for those rules, Texan masks (heroes or villains) are on average 25% faster than heroes of any other state.

Texas also has the least number of active teams out of the states, despite the strong presence of the Initiative. Almost exclusively, Texas is a solo game - it's said that if you can make it alone in Texas, you can make it almost anywhere. This is due to a number of factors - firstly, anonymity is encouraged in the face government attempts to learn more not only about the average person, but about super heroes as well. Secondly, due to it's proximity to Mexico it's a mixing pot of a variety of heroes and villains, and since identities are kept mostly under wraps you can never be sure if you're working with someone you can speak to. The third reason is that Texas has always been about, well, freedom The whole 'slave' business is quietly swept under the rug when this explanation is given.

There are a number of inspirations the super community in Texas draws from - Patriotism, Biblical Imagery, Lucha Libre(Mexican wrestling) and the Wild West. This often results in some...interesting hero identities, and in part what has lead to a diverse identity mix which allows any kind of hero to operate in Texas, regardless of background. One may find a hero such as El Longingus, a Wrestler capable of hurting anything due to the shard of the nail lodged within his chest - underneath his priestly robes. Texan masks are easily identifiable by the inspiration of their costume.

The closest equivalent to teams which are common in Texas are groups known as 'Churches', which while some are religious are more like support groups than teams. There will be meets(masked, of course), mentorships, group specific benefits and a preacher(senior hero or church founder) who will try and convince the heroes who join their church as best they can on their version of what a hero should be. Outside of the churches the heroes will still act mostly on their own, but if a Texen hero is likely to team up with anyone it's another member of their church.

Perhaps one of the most recent churches in the news was the Christian Church of Divine Realignment, which is a group for christian heroes who either want a spiritual center or wish to keep their faith in spite of gaining powers from thing such as ghosts, older gods and the occult in general, in the news for using their combined powers to build a wall between Texas and Mexico, with room for trade routes and legal passages. While nowhere near as common as Oregon based heroes, mystic heroes have more presence than one would expect - the percentage of heroes by origin active in Texas is as follows:
  • Martial (mostly ex-service): 40%
  • Technological: 30%
  • Mystic: 20%
  • Mutant: 10%

Perhaps the last interesting fact is that most heroes in Texas are trained in at least first aid, and some in battlefield surgery - the Texan game is a dangerous one, and you need every advantage you can get.
--

So, what are you interested in hearing about next? Should I throw forward some ideas? Should I wait until the end of the scene? You decide.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My question is if Texas has many of the old-school heroes - IE, the ones drawing on the old Lone Ranger/Outlaw Kid types. (Outlaw, obviously, does but moved to New York.)

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

quote:

The staff finds its way to V107-A, but unfortunately it lies at her feet. Unsurprisingly, her concerns are elsewhere. For a moment it looks like she's going to reach for the staff, but instead she tries to teleport out of the crowd entirely...

Nooo, the intention was to push people away from her with the staff, not just throw the staff to her

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

TheNabster posted:

Nooo, the intention was to push people away from her with the staff, not just throw the staff to her

Ah, my bad.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I'm starting to think Viola's gonna get her frame kicked in if the rolls don't start going more in our favor. Or others start popping in. But I may as well keep trying!

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

My question is if Texas has many of the old-school heroes - IE, the ones drawing on the old Lone Ranger/Outlaw Kid types. (Outlaw, obviously, does but moved to New York.)

Oh, I should have clarified, but quite a few, yes. Some base themselves around Ironside Bill, while others look to more modern inspiration such as Chuck Norris or Rambo or the Terminator. In terms of the more famous currently active Texan heroes:

Silver Hideaki - rumoured to be a relative to notorious Japanese super villain Accel, Silver Hideaki is all about the good, the bad and the ugly. Like his brother he can alter his bodies' functions, but he can only increase the speed of one limb at a time. This makes him a deadly quick-draw, able to shoot a man dead with a pair of Colt.22s in 60ths of a second. Instead, he often uses metal or rubber balls and a lasso, underneath his white trench coat, to take down bad guys the gun-slinging, less killing way. He still has 4 kills under his belt in his yearlong career, but guns change the rules of super-heroics in Texas.

Scrap Heap is an Initiative graduate who came from a background of mechanics. Gathering old pieces of gear from different retired heroes, including some parts from old Iron man armours, and a trashed Hummer, Scrap heap designed and (with help), built his own powered suit. In reality, the team built three of them, but suits 1 and 3 are being saved for either the right wearer or as replacements.

David, despite the pedestrian name, is a clergyman who is able to sling objects at maddening speeds, as long as the object is covered in cloth. Part of a curse placed for drinking holy wine outside of church, David cannot eat and drink, but otherwise lives. As such, while he is alive, he does his work covered head to toe in order not to show the world his sin. While a preacher in a masked church, David doesn't wear which on his sleeve - he is known as one of the more senior masked surgeons, however.

Wedding bells is a classic example of the blended history of Texan iconography, donning white and pink Lucha tights and mask with a confederate uniform jacket in between covered in bridal dress decorations. She's a magnet maker, able to touch two objects in order to charge them both, either bringing them together or repelling them. She took the moniker after using church bells to trap a getaway van, solving the heist and interrupting a young couple's wedding ceremony. Interestingly, she discovered how to safely do it to people six months ago, and since then has been using that knowledge to set up some interesting wrestling set-ups and holds. She makes a point of not becoming a role model if possible, but it's kind of happening anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unknown Quantity posted:

I'm starting to think Viola's gonna get her frame kicked in if the rolls don't start going more in our favor. Or others start popping in. But I may as well keep trying!

I mean... I could try that but I'm mostly good at making crime and explosions. Can your problem be solved with either of those?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

I mean... I could try that but I'm mostly good at making crime and explosions. Can your problem be solved with either of those?

Not particularly. Your apprentice could do a good job if the thing doesn't roll garbage and topples over in the next few rolls, though!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I forget, are Gambit, Taskmaster, and Jubilee on the first or second floor? ... more importantly, is there a window looking out over the crowd and can it be opened without having to shatter it?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jeez, I'm not used to my pbp games going so damned fast. Also, I got family in town for Memorial day things starting this Thursday, and leaving next Monday, so my posting might be sporadic at best during that time.

Also, despite the fact this is my third time trying this game system, I can never make heads or tails of the dice pool building, doom pool rolling, plot point getting, asset making rule system. I guess I've gotten to used to games where I just have to figure out some number to meet/beat and rolling a dice to see if I make it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Just remember: it's all opposed die rolls because it's comics, and in comics, anything can happen. There's very few rules you absolutely have to follow and for all those, there's plot points.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

How is everyone finding the game so far? I have a good idea as to how I need to adjust future foes to be a slightly longer fight, but mostly this scene was for getting people more used to the rules. Do people feel like they have a better understanding of the system, or should we spend more time in this scene?

Also, feel free to say/message me what you want to see more of - I have my ideas, but I'm looking to run something you guys are interested in as well.
- -
With regards to how timer dice work, they go from d4>d6>d8>d10>d12, stepping up in accordance to when the thing which triggers them goes off - in both cases, the trigger is simply time. In order to slow them down, you can choose to take an action against the doom pool to do so - if you succeed, you step back the timer dice. Depending on the nature of the dice, you may be able to turn it off entirely this way, but not always.

Also, once we wrap up the scene, I'll post unlockables and some of the milestones which will be available in act 2. I'm thinking of doing short individual transition scenes, where people can recover from stress and such, before reconvening for the next action scene. I'll post what ideas I have tomorrow, but if you have any feel free to share them with me, either in here or messaged. I'm fine with anyone going with anyone else, if people want to transition in groups?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I'm liking the game, but to be completely honest, I'm having trouble trying to parse out what is going on here. Seems like all the other players have some sort of secret objectives or something they're trying to do, while I was just talking to some silly Liberal Arts students. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to all the other apps and their "why were you at the art school part."

Then all the students started chanting hail Hydra, and I got even more confused. I hope it all comes together and becomes easier to follow soon.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Werix posted:

I'm liking the game, but to be completely honest, I'm having trouble trying to parse out what is going on here. Seems like all the other players have some sort of secret objectives or something they're trying to do, while I was just talking to some silly Liberal Arts students. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to all the other apps and their "why were you at the art school part."

Then all the students started chanting hail Hydra, and I got even more confused. I hope it all comes together and becomes easier to follow soon.

Okay, so, here's what I've got at least. Gambit, accompanied by Jubilee, was doing some art trading/inspecting for possible thieving later. Taskmaster was at the same museum to do a simple pickup/dropoff mission. Gwenpool is there because Gwenpool doesn't need a reason to be anywhere.

Meanwhile, outside, you're giving a lecture, I'm attending the lecture trying to find this one very important person, and Ferrus Mannus is there because it was on the way home. I start trying to tap into brains, and tap into too many of them at once. Which combined with the gas and other factors causes a Hydra attack.

At the same time, Hornet and some other folks from AIM are attacking the art gallery for reasons not yet discovered. The museum team takes on their individual sets of opponents and solves their issues fairly quickly.

Back to the park, I got laid out and we're just now starting to push things back. Does that help?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

Okay, so, here's what I've got at least. Gambit, accompanied by Jubilee, was doing some art trading/inspecting for possible thieving later. Taskmaster was at the same museum to do a simple pickup/dropoff mission. Gwenpool is there because Gwenpool doesn't need a reason to be anywhere.

Meanwhile, outside, you're giving a lecture, I'm attending the lecture trying to find this one very important person, and Ferrus Mannus is there because it was on the way home. I start trying to tap into brains, and tap into too many of them at once. Which combined with the gas and other factors causes a Hydra attack.

At the same time, Hornet and some other folks from AIM are attacking the art gallery for reasons not yet discovered. The museum team takes on their individual sets of opponents and solves their issues fairly quickly.

Back to the park, I got laid out and we're just now starting to push things back. Does that help?

Pretty much. There are a couple of details which have yet to reveal themselves (partially as to why things happened as they did), but HES more avoided an objective against him as opposed to starting with one, like most of the people going in.

Also, updated for those who posted.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Sorry I've been kind of absent the last bit - I have a lot of scheduled stuff at the end of the week, and it's a bit draining to do three games in two days AND get posts in.

Also terraria updated, that's my fault.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I could've made it a 24 but I wanted to save a PP for transitional scenes and stuff. Let's see what happens.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Updated.

Also to clarify, "Idunwanna" is my testing account, so rolls made on it don't count for anything. Mostly I'll use it to check expected results.

For transitions scenes, I'm thinking of around 5-7 posts per player in order to keep things relatively short - ultimately it'll depend on what you want to do, but some ideas I have are:

• Taskmaster - three options come to mind. Either a debriefing with your client, the Iron Hornet coming to your merc camp or dinner with booze.
  • V107-A - off the top of my head, there are two options. Your mysterious contact may be interested in making a phone call, but at the same time something interesting may come from assisted maintenance...
  • HES - Again, two options come to mind - , or a meeting around Reed's special project could be arranged.
  • Gambit - while you didn't get a good chance to properly scout the joint, it'd be possible to rebook - alternatively, something based around the family might be a good idea?
  • Jubilee - my immediate thought is perhaps something going down in either the arcade or the Academy.
  • Gwenpool - Perhaps an interview with JJ? Unless you wanna spend more time with the AIM guys?
  • Ferrus Manus - the spoilered message could be explored, or more could happen with your heroes for hire.

But ultimately it's y'all calls.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trollhawke posted:

[*]Gambit - while you didn't get a good chance to properly scout the joint, it'd be possible to rebook - alternatively, something based around the family might be a good idea?

The training would be on hold for the time being. Whatever brought AIM and Hydra in meant that it's not something you just have rookies pinch and fence. I was thinking of using the transition scene to introduce Guild characters and create a safehouse asset.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm feeling training camp, for Taskmaster. I like training stuff. He'll be checking out the info he got for the client and all that, but that's more of an infodump thing I imagine.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
"Assisted maintenance?" I mean, that depends on who are options for that. It also doesn't seem mutually exclusive an option. That said, unless something jumps out at me, I'd probably prefer the former.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Lets go for the meeting with JJ.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I have a post ready to fire but before I do anything else, can I use the weapon part of my Organometallic Vitalium to represent morphing hands and fingers into necessary tools, or would that require a stunt or Shapeshifting? I won't be using it now to be on the safe side but I would like to know for future actions.

It would only be the difference of 1 dice but this looks important.

EDIT: Also yes Dell still has to go fix Mister Cage's car as he promised. And no doubt being that he was at what essentially ground zero of a potential terror attack, Cage will want to know about it I reckon.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 5, 2016

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

TheNabster posted:

I have a post ready to fire but before I do anything else, can I use the weapon part of my Organometallic Vitalium to represent morphing hands and fingers into necessary tools, or would that require a stunt or Shapeshifting? I won't be using it now to be on the safe side but I would like to know for future actions.

@TheNabster: It'll depend on the type of tool - easy shapes like ladders, walking sticks and chisels will be doable without any effort, but something like a surgical knive, wiring, etc etc it'll need a stunt.

Also, I'll begin designing the transition scenes based on your feedback.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Don't expect much out of me this week, gonna be at Origins for most of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trollhawke, did you explode on accident and/or purpose?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Or for that matter time traveling/stuck in the negative zone/being held by the Shi'ar empire for some reason that seems good but is actually a load of bull/trying to convince Loki to select you as his running mate/etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Trollhawke, did you explode on accident and/or purpose?

Not me personally, but a ton of family stuff has come up which seems like it's gonna keep me under wraps for a few weeks, possibly a couple of months..

So, unfortunately, I will be closing the game for now, or at least until I have my folks in relatively good condition and things are sorted. However, if I do decide to re-open the game after this time, I'll be giving y'all I picked top priority, seeing as you kind of got screwed out of the rest of the game.

• Locked thread