Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People are dense. And a lot of the time they don't even realize they've made a mistake. Though sometimes you have to wonder 'How did they not notice something was wrong?'

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Never underestimate human stupidity, or the likelihood of people replicating other people's idiotic mistakes

88h88 posted:

UK couple book a flight to Vegas from Birmingham. The Birmingham in the USA, not the Birmingham in the UK. They got to Birmingham airport in the UK and were basically told to get hosed when they presented their tickets to depart from an airport in completely the wrong country. No refunds for stupidity.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/couple-lose-1200-las-vegas-11249948

quote:

Hapless Richella, from Sutton Coldfield , booked the trip through lastminute.com as a 30th birthday surprise for Ben. She kept it secret for more than a year before finally revealing the present at a bash in front of all their family and friends.

Also in the text the guy from the couple says it's a common mistake. A paragraph or two below that a spokeslady for the company they booked it through says the mistake is extremely rare.

Scruff McGruff posted:

This is like that guy that booked a flight for Granada and ended up in Grenada.

SpacePig posted:

You'd be surprised how inattentive people can be. Remember that time people started posting their Facebook logins on some woman's blog because it became the top result for Facebook on Google for a day for some reason? And then those same people posted to complain about how they didn't like the new layout?

Shillary posted:

That was ReadWriteWeb actually: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-want-the-old-facebook-back

And surprisingly it's not an age thing. For all the stereotypes of young people as tech savvy, they really aren't. Sure then know how to install an app on a phone but that's about it for most of them.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Thank you for reminding me of this. I was howling as I read through the comments. Good lord, people are dense.

"The new layout SUCKS"

"where do i log in"

"hunter2"

Post your favorite stories! Ones that you've done, read, or know happened in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In February 2010, Facebook did a design overhaul as they do once in a while. At the same time, a blog posted a story about Facebook's login strategy (that was also when they made it so you could use Facebook as a login on other sites). That blog post became the #1 hit on Google for "facebook login" & all the people who did not know you could write facebook.com in the address bar started getting sent to that blog post & were completely horrified that they were now no longer unable to log in.

Check out the comments, seems most of the pages are archived too. Unfortunately, Internet Archive didn't start archiving it until 2 days after it happened, so there were probably actual comments with logins & passwords that are now deleted.

quote:

Dear visitors from Google. This site is not Facebook. This is a website called ReadWriteWeb that reports on news about Facebook and other Internet services. You can however click here and become a Fan of ReadWriteWeb on Facebook, to receive our updates and learn more about the Internet. To access Facebook right now, click here. For future reference, type "facebook.com" into your browser address bar or enter "facebook" into Google and click on the first result. We recommend that you then save Facebook as a bookmark in your browser.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100212115719/http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_wants_to_be_your_one_true_login.php

Article about it:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2010/feb/11/facebook-readwriteweb

quote:

I WANT THE OLD FAFEBOOK BACK THIS poo poo IS WACK!!!!!

Posted by: Nicole Author Profile Page | February 10, 2010 9:54 AM

Ah poo poo, you already mentioned the blog. Welp, I mostly just posted to bookmark anyway :)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Apr 29, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
The English couple mentioned in the OP were given a five star holiday by Virgin as recompense. Idiocy pays off! :mad:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Some reasons why people went to A&E in Cambridge.

quote:

1. Broken false finger nail that wouldn't come off

2. Splinter in finger

3. Needing emergency contraception

4. Shaving cut, that wasn't visible

5. Paper cut

6. Months of back pain, but not seen a GP

7. Sore throat

8. Hiccups

9. Unable to sleep

10. Run out of medication

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

Geokinesis posted:

Some reasons why people went to A&E in Cambridge.

Even in the US people call for EMS and go to the Emergency Room for all kinds of mundane reasons.

One that sticks out in my head was told to me by a coworker who works for a county ambulance service as a second job. He tended a patient to the hospital for mild flu-like symptoms. It was clear that she was ill, but it looked to him to be nothing more than a head cold. Yet her boyfriend, who was on scene when he and his driver showed up, followed the ambulance in his own personal vehicle to the hospital. It apparently never crossed their minds to just drive themselves and avoid the ambulance bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xmas Dumpster Fire posted:

One that sticks out in my head was told to me by a coworker who works for a county ambulance service as a second job. He tended a patient to the hospital for mild flu-like symptoms. It was clear that she was ill, but it looked to him to be nothing more than a head cold. Yet her boyfriend, who was on scene when he and his driver showed up, followed the ambulance in his own personal vehicle to the hospital. It apparently never crossed their minds to just drive themselves and avoid the ambulance bill.

Reminds me of a story related by one of my university lecturers of two men who were on a boat at sea and, having decided they were in some danger, decide to prep the lifeboat and transfer some supplies over in case they needed it. They then went ahead and moved from the main boat into the lifeboat, which, several hours later, became detached from the main boat. They were eventually rescued but their main boat was also found still afloat, and they would have been in much less danger on it, they just had it in their heads that in a dangerous situation you get into the lifeboat because it's safer.

• Locked thread