Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Looks like there's a tax credit of up to 500 dollars this year
Also supposedly helps with ice damming in the winter and cooling in the summer.

Out of curiosity - if you have a metal roof, how much did you pay? Sort of looking at stone coated shingles.
I have a fairly small roof, ~1000 sq feet.

It looks pretty legit now - more options than the textureless seamed panels.

They are more expensive, but I see myself renting my place out in 10 years maybe. Would be nice to not have to worry about shingles blowing off, we get a lot of whether here.

The first quote I got came back at a bit over 10 a square foot, installed. It seems just slightly high? I'm not getting screwed, right?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I own houses both with metal and conventional shingles. Metal is not maintenance free. I've made many repairs to both.

If icing is an issue, insulation is the best fix. I'd only go metal if insulation is not an option.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Oh jeeze, what kind of repair and maintenance? The kind I am looking at, they screw into battens which are screwed into the roof.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Finnish dark metal roofs or gtfo

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

My old house had an aluminum roof, the textureless seamed kind. It kicked rear end. It was installed about 30 years ago, and it was a little loud when it hailed, but otherwise I never had a problem with it. To compare, my neighbors were regularly losing shingles to the storms and having huge chunks knocked out. No leaks, no fuss, no nothing. I occasionally had to get on a ladder and scrape off leaves and branches with a rake.

Would recommend. If it needed replacing, I'd put one on my current house.

• Locked thread