Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are you planning on getting this air board certified?

In case someone doesn't know what that means

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair certifies the swap meeting the California Air Resource Board guidelines. That is, if the engine is newer and of the same class (no light duty truck engine in cars), the K's (not the Miata's) emissions equipment is in place and fully functional, and any aftermarket parts on the engine have CARB Executive Order numbers, then yes its possible. The testing is pretty basic, usually using OBD-II testing in conjunction with a fuel tank evaporative test (pre-OBDII style), and some somewhat lenient emissions testing guidelines.

Its probably easier to register it out of state or in some county that doesn't have biennial smog testing requirements, though the few people I know that have had their cars 'BARd" haven't had any real complaints with the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are you planning on getting this air board certified?

No. The TSX manifold aims the throttle body backwards into the firewall and we are required to remove the balance shafts to fit the engine under the hood, so the BAR process isn't really open to us. We would have to go through a full CARB certification, which is cost-prohibitive. I'll leave that up to K Miata.

Savington fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 1, 2016

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

The most likely way to register it is probably to register it as a Specially Constructed Vehicle (SPCNS), which can theoretically be registered without emissions requirements. They're really limited in scope, so I'm not sure you can take an existing car and go buck wild with it, but there's a lot of precedent doing so. They're not exactly smog exempt, but given the alterations usually taken with that advanced of a swap, you could probably prod the referee into making it a 1960 Ahura Savington Deluxe GT-R VTEC.

Forum poster Revelations made a totally California legal catless LS# powered Locost, and I think he just stood in line and did a few pieces of paperwork.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 1, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would think that a VIN-less chassis like a Locost is significantly easier to get past CARB than it is to justify your cross-make engine swap.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Do you have a writeup on that sleeve bearing install for the poly bushings? Looks interesting

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Laranzu posted:

Do you have a writeup on that sleeve bearing install for the poly bushings? Looks interesting

Check out http://www.miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/miata-bushing-megathread-heirarchy-diy-delrin-dimensions-info-discussion-87573/ which explains it and has pretty pictures and stuff.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

DJ Commie posted:

The most likely way to register it is probably to register it as a Specially Constructed Vehicle (SPCNS), which can theoretically be registered without emissions requirements.

You cannot apply for an SPCNS/SB100 registration with a car that was sold new as a car. SPCNS and SB100s are for home-built kit cars only.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Savington posted:

You cannot apply for an SPCNS/SB100 registration with a car that was sold new as a car. SPCNS and SB100s are for home-built kit cars only.

I have seen it done once, but hilariously it skated the legalese of that by using the concept that the definition of sold new as a car in the US involved being having been assigned a US VIN, whereas a vehicle with a non-US VIN does not meet the definition of US sold car, rendering it in the same realm as a kit car assembled by a foreign manufacturer. Unsurprisingly, it was a lawyer who had the car. I think it was an R32 Skyline GTS-4 sedan.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Short video of the car running on open header. The basics are there, but there are a few details to go over on the engine (finish intake fitment, build a full 3" exhaust), and the interior is still torn apart for audio system installation. Getting closer to a finished car, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFIXOsMLPig

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Looks like the intake fits fine to me.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire

The level of professionalism in this build up to this point contrasted with your face trying to straighten the wheels in that thing just made me lose it.

e:

moloo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 13, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
On the topic of Miatas with Honda swaps, saw an NB with a J32 swap at the track yesterday. Guy was having some issues with brakes though as other than the swap it was pretty much still a Spec Miata.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

moloo posted:

The level of professionalism in this build up to this point contrasted with your face trying to straighten the wheels in that thing just made me lose it.

e:

The whole steering column moving up and down while he tried to straighten the wheels and made that face did it for me.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
Racked the car today to knock out a few things. We got about half the exhaust built with a Vibrant flex and 3” cat. Waiting on a couple of tight-radius 90s to build the rear half of the exhaust.

FM frame rails installed:

Intake cut down to size and installed (missing one hose clamp)

It will come back over later this week to finish up the exhaust and get the sways/endlinks installed and set up properly. Once that’s done, it’s just the interior that’s left.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, can't wait to hear your driving impressions of the car overall once it's done and you have everything ironed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I have been slacking a bit on this one. Once all the mechanical stuff was done, the owner took over and did all the interior work himself.

On to the interior. This car was pretty ratty inside, even for 130k miles, so Andrew elected to go all out.

Starting with a Blackbird Fabworx GT3 bar. This is the only NB bar that is glass-window compatible AND has a welded harness bar, so it's the obvious choice.

All the HVAC goes back into place after the wiring is complete.

New Pioneer touch-screen head unit with SiriusXM support, Spotify control, Bluetooth audio, and a ton more. I will bug Andrew to post more about the audio system if there's interest.

We did a carpet kit from a company in the UK that included a full under-felt kit:

And way nicer carpet than what originally came in the car:

Tan Probax Elise seats round out the upgrades here.

Outside the car, a fresh Robbins canvas top replaces the old worn-out vinyl.

The new 8,000rpm rev limiter spawned a gauge upgrade from Revlimiter. Rx8-style faces with realigned needles, new 8,000rpm limiter, and the tach range expanded to 9,000rpm. Very OEM+ to match the overall build.

After a complete cut/seal/polish/wax job, the car is now ~98% complete. There are still a few details to be ironed out (idle valve, A/C support, dyno tuning, possibly cams/valvetrain later on) but this is essentially the finished
product. Pretty clean car, but that's what you get when you strip a car from the rear bulkhead forward and replace 80% of it :)

I did some miles in it driving it to/from the alignment shop and it is such a cool motor. Not quite as much poke as my turbocharged car from 3000-4500, but it yanks hard at 5k and pulls hard all the way to the limiter at 8k.

That pretty much wraps this one up. I'll post some dyno charts once the car gets fully tuned (still on basemaps right now), and there are probably some cam/valvetrain upgrades in the future, but I think he's just going to enjoy it for a while. :)

• Locked thread