Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Detroit Free Press needs a new website name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike McQueary won his whistleblower case against Penn State.

He was already owed $7m, and the Judge added $5m in damages.

quote:

Judge Thomas Gavin's order assesses $4,974,000 in additional damages, bringing the total award in the case to more than $12.3 million after counsel fees are factored in.

Gavin found that McQueary had shown he was treated differently from other PSU employees after it became publicly known that he was a witness against Penn State administrators in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case.

Penn State, the judge ruled, did not make its case that that different treatment pertained solely to the unique world of big-time college football.

How was McQueary treated differently?

Gavin found several reasons, starting from the announcement of charges against then-Athletic Director Tim Curley and Senior Vice President Gary Schultz:

* Then PSU-President Graham Spanier immediately issued a statement in defense of Curley and Schultz, who were charged with perjury and failing to take McQueary's eyewitness account of a shower room assault to police or child welfare authorities.

No such statement of support was ever made on behalf of McQueary.

* When McQueary was put on administrative leave for the remainder of the football season, he lost all access to the PSU football offices and facilities. In December 2011, he was asked to clean out his office.

Those were, Gavin found, evidence of de facto termination.

* Unlike other Paterno assistants, he was not put on the list for courtesy interviews by incoming head football coach Bill O'Brien in January 2012.

* Gavin found Athletic Director Dave Joyner was not credible when he refused to renew McQueary's contract - he was still formally on leave - in the spring of 2012 because "there was no work for him."

Gavin noted that McQueary had received sterling work reviews to that point, and that there were other non-coaching positions in the athletic department that he could have filled.

Judge Thomas Gavin's order assesses $4,974,000 in additional damages, bringing the total award in the case to more than $12.3 million after counsel fees are factored in.

Gavin found that McQueary had shown he was treated differently from other PSU employees after it became publicly known that he was a witness against Penn State administrators in the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case.

Penn State, the judge ruled, did not make its case that that different treatment pertained solely to the unique world of big-time college football.

How was McQueary treated differently?

In his ruling Wednesday, Judge Thomas Gavin ordered Penn State University to pay former assistant coach Mike McQueary $5 million in additional damages after finding in favor of McQueary in a whistleblower action against the university.

Gavin found several reasons, starting from the announcement of charges against then-Athletic Director Tim Curley and Senior Vice President Gary Schultz:

* Then PSU-President Graham Spanier immediately issued a statement in defense of Curley and Schultz, who were charged with perjury and failing to take McQueary's eyewitness account of a shower room assault to police or child welfare authorities.

No such statement of support was ever made on behalf of McQueary.

* When McQueary was put on administrative leave for the remainder of the football season, he lost all access to the PSU football offices and facilities. In December 2011, he was asked to clean out his office.

Those were, Gavin found, evidence of de facto termination.

* Unlike other Paterno assistants, he was not put on the list for courtesy interviews by incoming head football coach Bill O'Brien in January 2012.

* Gavin found Athletic Director Dave Joyner was not credible when he refused to renew McQueary's contract - he was still formally on leave - in the spring of 2012 because "there was no work for him."

Gavin noted that McQueary had received sterling work reviews to that point, and that there were other non-coaching positions in the athletic department that he could have filled.

Penn State must pay McQueary another $5 million: Read the judge's order
Penn State must pay McQueary another $5 million: Read the judge's order
Judge Thomas Gavin Wednesday ordered Penn State to pay almost $5 million to former assistant football coach Mike McQueary for

Joyner, the judge wrote, "simply chose to ignore the facts to arrive at the desired outcome."

As for Penn State's defense that assistant football coaches generally don't survive a change at the top, Gavin found that while true, that argument was irrelevent in McQueary's case.

That's because no one at Penn State, from head coach Joe Paterno on down, was likely to be fired in the midst of an 8-1 season.

"On Nov. 4, there was no need for 'new blood,'" Gavin wrote. "However on Nov. 5 (the date that the Sandusky presentment was publicly released), 'blood' was needed, and people had to go to satisfy the public outcry.

"The objective evidence is that Mr. McQueary would not have been removed from his coaching position but for his involvement in the "Sandusky matter" once it became public knowledge," Gavin continued.

"I conclude... that Mr. McQueary's career in football is over not because of his lack of a network (in the field) but because of the cloud over his involvement in the Sandusky matter. A cloud created and reinforced by Penn State's public actions taken against him which made him persona non grata in the football world."

In assessing damages, Gavin assessed $3,974,000 against Penn State based on the wages McQueary has sacrificed by losing a likely career as an assistant at a top-flight Division I program.

There is a separate $1 million award for non-economic damages.

Gavin assessed that award to compensate McQueary for public humiliation and damage to reputation that he suffered, in part because no one at Penn State ever acknowledged that McQueary's fully complied with all reporting requirements at the time.

Gavin seemed particularly struck by McQueary's emotional testimony about his post-scandal job search, including that he didn't even get a call back when he applied for a floor job at a State College Rite Aid.

In his testimony, McQueary stated:

"I didn't handle this quote unquote situation perfectly, but I did a darn good thing. All right. I testified in that courtroom right there. I stood up and I did it, and I can't get a job at Rite Aid, working a cash register?...

"I mean, that's humiiating. That's humbling. I'm biased. I know it. I get it. (But) That's not fair. It wasn't me who did it (committed sex crimes against children). All right? It wasn't."

Here, again, the judge took the university to task for never standing up for McQueary:

"A reasonable inference arising from Penn State's failure to correct the misinformation (about McQueary's action) is that if it did so, it would have had to explain why it had not referred the information to its or any other police agency."

The final pieces of the damage decision include a bonus payment for McQueary for Penn State's end-of-season appearance in the 2012 Ticket City Bowl - which all other Paterno-era coaches received - and the assignment of certain counsel fees to Penn State.

Gavin's award follows a Centre County's jury's Oct. 27 award of $7.3 million in damages to McQueary on separate counts of defamation and legal misrepresentation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

good

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is from the deadspin article on it but did the judge actually use this language? Because it's both hilarious and actually seems about right with those loving weirdos:

quote:

McQueary was denied a position at Elizabeth City State for the notoriety tied to his name, excommunicated from the Penn State athletic community

Amongst other things McQueary is no longer allowed to partake of the blood and body of JoePa.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grittybeard posted:

This is from the deadspin article on it but did the judge actually use this language? Because it's both hilarious and actually seems about right with those loving weirdos:

Amongst other things McQueary is no longer allowed to partake of the blood and body of JoePa.

Dude couldn't get an interview for a cashier job at a local rite aid because of the damage he caused to JoePa.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that'd be pretty funny in almost any other context but it's pretty much exactly right in this case

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
When this story first dropped the dude should have cut his losses and fled the state.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

When this story first dropped the dude should have cut his losses and fled the state.

Realistically, yeah, but the very idea of whistleblower laws is to prevent the exact thing that happened to him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Coach K publicly shat all over the Baylor assistant that recorded the Dave Bliss murder cover-up and Bliss had zero defenders

I wonder what that guy is up to now

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Coach K publicly shat all over the Baylor assistant that recorded the Dave Bliss murder cover-up and Bliss had zero defenders

Abar Rouse, here's an OTL thing they did on him in 2013.

He took an 8000 dollar a year job as an assistant at a D2 school for a few years then had to quit and go work in a factory because he was up to his eyeballs in debt (apparently it's hard to get by on 8k a year working 70 hours at week). Other than that he was totally blackballed. At the time this was filmed he was working in a women's prison as a 'recreations officer' I think they said.

It ends on a hopeful note for where his life is headed which, well good for him. But he's never coaching in college again.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I went to Duke and loved the school and am a huge fan of the basketball team but I really really really hate the cult of personality that's surrounded Coach K and it reminds me of the same type of poo poo that happened at Penn State. He's a great coach and a great ambassador for the school, but I also think he's an rear end in a top hat who can be extremely petty and is so ... corporate. He's no better or worse than most other coaches out there, but it just annoys me how some Duke fans act as if he can do no wrong.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if you're making millions off a bunch of unpaid kids playing sports then its probably safe to say you are a terrible person

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I hope McQueary takes a selfie of himself with a giant novelty check for that $12mil on JoPa's grave and posts it to Instagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Moon posted:

I hope McQueary takes a selfie of himself with a giant novelty check for that $12mil on JoPa's grave and posts it to Instagram

Then pisses on it.

• Locked thread