Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Description: Windows attempts to find and download updates. The "Checking for updates..." screen shows no progress for an hour+, task manager shows high draw on processor, staying within 50-51% until I turn off wuauserv via command prompt.

Attempted fixes: Running FixIt in aggressive mode, deleting contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, renaming C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to \SoftwareDistribution.old and trying to find updates again, ran chkdsk, manually installed the following Windows updates:

KB 3050265
KB 3138612

Resetting Windows update components via:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Installation of the following hotfix:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2889748

Use of the windows System Update Readiness tool:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

Performed a malware scan with Malwarebytes, and a virus scan with ESET NOD 32.

Of note, the contents within \windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download do not change regardless of how long I let Windows check for updates. There are two files within, one at 15KB and the other at 72KB.

Recent changes:

None.

Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

System specs:

Dell PP29L Inspiron 1525. 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive (420GB free space remaining)

USA

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

This has happened across five Windows installations now on this particular machine, twice with the aftermarket hard drive I installed. Eventually it refuses to automatically obtain and install updates, but I can manually download and install them just fine. If I leave Windows update enabled with the choice of "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", wuauserv in svchost consumes an entire core of my processor as well as a significant portion of RAM, until I manually stop it. Upon logging into Windows, the process hangs within two minutes and does absolutely nothing until I either stop it manually or shut down the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Firstly check your hard drive with Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot of it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

There is an issue with windows update on earlier versions of W7, this is a common problem where windows update chews up tons of resources but never really does anything.

http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

You can obtain the update fix from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810 (I believe this will work, there are also other "solutions" posted on the superuser page that may work if this update alone does not)

Also, you should turn off windows update/stop the service/kill the process in taskmgr, download/install this update, reboot then turn on windows update again, it (should) solve your problem.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 11, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Firstly check your hard drive with Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot of it.

MF_James posted:

There is an issue with windows update on earlier versions of W7, this is a common problem where windows update chews up tons of resources but never really does anything.

http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

You can obtain the update fix from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810 (I believe this will work, there are also other "solutions" posted on the superuser page that may work if this update alone does not)

Also, you should turn off windows update/stop the service/kill the process in taskmgr, download/install this update, reboot then turn on windows update again, it (should) solve your problem.

I installed that update, but I could try removing it then reinstalling with windows update completely turned off and with a reboot. I think I did it that way the other day, but I'm not super certain.

Edit:

Uninstalled the update, rebooted, and now svchost isn't gobbling up my processor but TrustedInstaller seems to be actually doing something. Lots of CPU activity, but it doesn't sit at 50% for ages.

TrustedInstaller is done, now svchost is sitting locked in at 50% CPU draw. Dammit.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 11, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Check out that superuser link, there's some other potential workarounds/fixes.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
The other option is to run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated (administrator) command prompt and post the results. Seems your hard drive is OK though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

This doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, it's a windows update issue, this isn't a new problem either, it's been around a year or more, tons of info all over the internet (good and bad) about it.

Your options are generally, let it run (seriously) some peopel reported that after 6-8hours it finally completed, so let it run overnight and make sure it won't sleep/hibernate, or you can dig through the link that I gave, there's a few different potential fixes, some worked for certain people and not for others etc. Microsoft released a few different patches that supposedly fix/workaround the problem, but they don't seem to work in all cases.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

edit: ^^

Capn Beeb posted:

Description: Windows attempts to find and download updates. The "Checking for updates..." screen shows no progress for an hour+, task manager shows high draw on processor, staying within 50-51% until I turn off wuauserv via command prompt.

Have you tried letting it update overnight? I've had machines that took a LONG time but eventually it kicked in as if it had finished scanning a gigantic HD.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 11, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

MF_James posted:

This doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, it's a windows update issue, this isn't a new problem either, it's been around a year or more, tons of info all over the internet (good and bad) about it.

Your options are generally, let it run (seriously) some peopel reported that after 6-8hours it finally completed, so let it run overnight and make sure it won't sleep/hibernate, or you can dig through the link that I gave, there's a few different potential fixes, some worked for certain people and not for others etc. Microsoft released a few different patches that supposedly fix/workaround the problem, but they don't seem to work in all cases.

Went through the fixes in the superuser link, still no change.

Zogo posted:

edit: ^^

Have you tried letting it update overnight? I've had machines that took a LONG time but eventually it kicked in as if it had finished scanning a gigantic HD.

Nah, but that's what I'm gonna try now.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Some progress: \windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download actually has files and a few folders inside of it, as typically the contents never change beyond the two files I mentioned in my post. Windows Update is still rolling away on the "Checking for updates..." screen five hours later. I'll just leave it overnight.

Edit:

No change overnight, \windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download hasn't picked up anything else. Windows has been checking for updates for nearly 24 hours. drat.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 12, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

any chance of getting an SP2 install? Do you have a valid windows license? You could :filez: an SP2 install and plug in your good key (I think that works... I dunno I don't deal with licensing at work and at home uhh I don't deal with it either..).

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Tried a fresh format and reinstall of 7 w/ SP1 with a different copy, no change in svchost or windows update behavior at all. \windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download still has only two files inside, one at 15KB and the other at 72KB, although now it has a single folder from my manual downloading and installing of KB3138612, one of the prescribed fixes.

What the hell.

MF_James posted:

any chance of getting an SP2 install? Do you have a valid windows license? You could :filez: an SP2 install and plug in your good key (I think that works... I dunno I don't deal with licensing at work and at home uhh I don't deal with it either..).

Couldn't find an SP2 install, but googling around found me this:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1141526-a-hidden-patch-tuesday-gem-a-windows-7-hotfix-rollup/

So maybe I can grab the hot fix bundle directly and try that.

What's killing me here is this happened immediately after I got a minty fresh installation completed and logged in. Normally on my laptop it takes a couple of months for this problem to show its head again.

Edit:

Rebooted, TrustedInstaller fired up right away and chugged in task manager for a minute, then svchost went right to grabbing 50% of the CPU and hasn't let go.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 15, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I reformatted and reinstalled one more time, immediately installed KB3138612 and nothing else, left my laptop at 1030PM, and now \softwaredistribution\download has 431 items in it and counting.

I'm guessing there was a buggy update that got downloaded somewhere that didn't impact either of the desktops in the house, somehow. Either that or the internet hiccuped while windows was updating, as I know that tanked a windows install on my laptop a couple of years ago as I was stupid and didn't turn off windows updates while depending on hotel wifi.

Edit:

The number of items in \softwaredistribution\download is steadily decreasing, ideally it's because windows is actually installing updates. :v:

Edit 2:

Updates installed, rebooted numerous times throughout installation, log in, and svchost blasts off within a minute. gently caress. This time mscorsvw.exe was right behind it taking up my remaining core for quite a while before it eventually stopped.

Edit 3:

Managed to get Windows Updater to see I had one fresh update to install for the built in malware scanner. Clicked install, computer churned on "Preparing to install..." for half an hour until I stopped it, got the message of a successful update installation. Rebooted, update installed. svchost fired up within a minute again. Checked for updates, let it chug for another half hour before I stopped it via net stop wuauserv, got the message of no important updates available.

/softwaredistribution/download is now sitting at 250 items, 1.20GB.

At this point I'm honestly tempted to just kill wuauserv whenever I boot this loving thing up and keep an eye out for important updates and grab them manually, god drat.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 15, 2016

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Is there any reason you can't update to 10? There's media available online, and your 7 product key will work

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Is there any reason you can't update to 10? There's media available online, and your 7 product key will work

Honestly I'd be surprised if my laptop could run it :( Also I searched around and it seems windows 10 has the same problem with wuauserv going all run away, and I'd really like to narrow this down to precisely what is causing it so consistently on this one machine. Not that I could do much about it what with being a laptop and all.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I doubt it's a hardware problem. A clean install of Windows 10 - bearing in mind you can always go back to 7 - must be worth a try.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Also, windows 10 is LESS resource intensive than 7, although I (believe) you will need a 64bit processor, I don't think there's a 32-bit version available, but I haven't done any googling so this is all just guesswork.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Core 2 CPUs are 64-bit, early Atoms are the only CPUs you might encounter without 64-bit support.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Oh good news!

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

They just released a rollup to go from W7 SP1 through april 2016, check the link

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

MF_James posted:

Oh good news!

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

They just released a rollup to go from W7 SP1 through april 2016, check the link

Tried to grab it via the update catalog:

"An add-on for this website failed to run."

:shepicide:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Tried to grab it via the update catalog:

"An add-on for this website failed to run."

:shepicide:

Argh maybe give it a day or two, the stuff might be getting hammered causing issues, also a thousand other things could be wrong given it's the first day it has been up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

My problem seems to have fixed itself. Laptop pulled down a couple dozen updates last night and installed them just fine, no svchost insanity today. Although GWX came back, gross. :v:

• Locked thread