Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drunkboxer posted:

Inheritable traits and information could be stored and passed on in different things other than DNA and RNA. Also, there's no reason to assume alien life would reproduce in the way(s) we're familiar with.

Well yeah you could time travel into the future without traveling anywhere. You could literally store yourself digitally as a maximal value digital stream at C and have no perception of time passing. Just come out in the future sometime like what Jesus "saves".dna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7r8A0qS0jg

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Well yeah you could time travel into the future without traveling anywhere. You could literally store yourself digitally as a maximal value digital stream at C and have no perception of time passing. Just come out in the future sometime like what Jesus "saves".dna

I was talking about aliens loving not uploading yourself to the matrix, you dork.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Meaningful communication requires context. If I could magically talk to a spider and the spider was magically intelligent, it might still be impossible to communicate meaningfully because we don't share a sense of context. Would base 10 make any sense to a spider, which has 8 legs? Would it be possible to explain the concept of mercy to a nonsocial hunter? Communicating is much less straightforward than it seems. It is the process by which beings can help to update one anothers' internal models of reality. Putting it this way helps to show how it's necessary for the communicator to at least fuzzily understand the conceptions he is attempting to update, and likewise the communicate-ee has to understand what specifically is being attempted. Without at least some mutual understanding, all the symbols in the universe in the most clever order won't get the job done.

When it comes to possible spacefarers though, we can assume a few things about their context. Math is somewhat universal and you'd expect anyone who can escape at atmosphere knows how to fiddle with numbers. Base 2 is great because the recording itself illustrates the principle being used to communicate. It's not a given that any spacefaring civ would have exactly similar methods of data storage, but figuring out that we store info using on-off patterns should be pretty easy cuz it's self-apparent from the object itself, and it's better to keep that relatively simple code as the basis for further communication rather than using base ten or what have you, which would require further decoding.

I only seriouspost cuz I find this area of communication study fascinating. I found it shocking how hard even really simple messages can be to get across without shared referants when I first read about this.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress are you talking about again?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
lol if you dont do all your communication through spice induced precognition

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Ahundredbux posted:

lol if you dont do all your communication through spice induced precognition

DARE programmed me to believe spice is bad.

Spice is bad mmmkay?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

here is a scientific fact for the op::

you are a buttlicker

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

This is your brain on spice.

Just say no to being a giant worm-god.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drunkboxer posted:

I was talking about aliens loving not uploading yourself to the matrix, you dork.

Well a torsionally balanced Dna strain is typically only going to occur on the 3rd planet from a star because it teeters over a decimated pit. I suppose sulfur bonding could make some sort of dna but it probably wouldn't last very long. I can't really think of any kind of life that wouldn't be carbon based or even considered the possibility of model. There's gotta be some sort of thought even in crystals denser than carbon. But I mean if it did exist it wouldn't even see visible light and all that poo poo. Almost all heavier crystals have too much of a bias to sustain life, at least sexual life.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 12, 2016

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Well a torsionally balanced Dna strain is typically only going to occur on the 3rd planet from a star because it teeters over a decimated pit. I suppose sulfur bonding could make some sort of dna but it probably wouldn't last very long. I can't really think of any kind of life that wouldn't be carbon based or even considered the possibility of model. There's gotta be some sort of thought even in crystals denser than carbon. But I mean if it did exist it wouldn't even see visible light and all that poo poo. Almost all heavier crystals have too much of a bias to sustain life, at least sexual life.

I'm just a simple terrestrial biochemist and all, but I'm going to have to go out on a limb and conclude that this is gibberish.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

criscodisco posted:

Also, I've heard it mentioned that if they found bacterial or algal life on Mars, it would be interesting to know if it contained DNA, as that would lead credence to the panspermia hypothesis. I understand the panspermia idea, but does that mean that they believe alien life wouldn't have DNA? So, if two alien lifeforms created a third lifeform, would it share no traits with their "parent" lifeforms, like Muppets?

How are they able to determine the atmospheric compositions of planets and planetary satellites within our solar system without having sent any sort of probe to them? Can they do that with planets outside our solar system?

They say that because every single living thing on earth, even down to the most ancient stuff in the fossil record, has used DNA/RNA. So if we descended from alien life, chances are it would have had to use DNA/RNA as well. On the other hand, if we found that Martian bacteria don't use D/RNA, then we could pretty confidently say that we didn't descend from those particular critters.

One way to find out about a distant body's atmosphere (even stuff outside the solar system) is to wait for it to pass in front of a star and then watch how the light falls off. If it happens quickly we know the atmosphere is pretty thin, and if it takes a little longer, then it's on the thicker side. The way the light's color changes as it dims gives us a good idea of its chemical composition.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm just a simple terrestrial biochemist and all, but I'm going to have to go out on a limb and conclude that this is gibberish.

Just a bunch of biased triangles extruded into 3D spacetime dude.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Humans count in base-10 because we have 10 fingers, mayans count in base-13 because they have 10 fingers and 3 dicks, aliens count in base-2 because they only have two fingers but those fingers are as thick and wide as a black lady's thigh and they can crush the alien-equivalent of coconuts between their two huge fingers.

Trust me, I am a qualified science man who studied science at science-school.

The light that comes from bodies in space can be split with a prism and then scientists can see from the gaps in the colors what elements comprise the object, thats how they know that the sun burns hydrogen and helium and what kryptonite is made of so that they can manufacture it en-masse in north korea incase an army of evil supermans invade the earth, history will vindicate Kim Jong Un as humanities greatest hero.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Skeleton Ape posted:

They say that because every single living thing on earth, even down to the most ancient stuff in the fossil record, has used DNA/RNA. So if we descended from alien life, chances are it would have had to use DNA/RNA as well. On the other hand, if we found that Martian bacteria don't use D/RNA, then we could pretty confidently say that we didn't descend from those particular critters.

One way to find out about a distant body's atmosphere (even stuff outside the solar system) is to wait for it to pass in front of a star and then watch how the light falls off. If it happens quickly we know the atmosphere is pretty thin, and if it takes a little longer, then it's on the thicker side. The way the light's color changes as it dims gives us a good idea of its chemical composition.

Like I said science is complete horse poo poo

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
This is all very fascinating, especially the stuff about the struggles to communicate meaningful information with beings that share no points of reference.

Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

criscodisco posted:

This is all very fascinating, especially the stuff about the struggles to communicate meaningful information with beings that share no points of reference.

Thanks guys!

Voted 10

:smugdroid:

I didn't vote :patriot:

• Locked thread