Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Tenzarin posted:

Looking forward to not being able to build every single wonder of the world at a single city.

Its going to makeit trickier to OCC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
And there seem to be a lot more terrain restrictions on wonders too, like 5's Petra in deserts, so the wonder situation really has been shaken up a lot.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Did the AI in Civ5 ever learn to wage war. I played it not long after release and it seemed the one unit per tile didn't suit the AI which lead to me easily defeating armies when outnumbered and taken the challenge out of it. I never went back to the game so I don't know if they fixed that.

I would have hoped they had if this new one is to be any good.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Did the AI in Civ5 ever learn to wage war. I played it not long after release and it seemed the one unit per tile didn't suit the AI which lead to me easily defeating armies when outnumbered and taken the challenge out of it. I never went back to the game so I don't know if they fixed that.

It got better, but not really "fixed" levels of better.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I felt like the miltary AI was at its worst when there would be a small body of water nearby and it would just embark as many units as it could onto those water tiles no matter how many times they got blown up. That... never really got fixed, as far as I recall.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Rexides posted:

And the Civ II wonder movies.

Not wonder movies in the style of Civ II, literally just copy the movie files as they are. They don't even have to re-shoot them in higher definition.

(and the council)

If they put the council in a Civ game today, it would be nothing but zany Reddit and 4chan catchphrases.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

If they put the council in a Civ game today, it would be nothing but zany Reddit and 4chan catchphrases.

Except we're not talking about the mods you'd write/install. :v:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

No, even after some patches and whatnot a world-conquering force still pretty much consists of 4 crossbowman and maybe a trebuchet. I like 1UPT I just hope the new attachments/corps system in 6 can help the AI bring some power to bear instead of just shuffling around units while you pick them off one at a time.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
My big complaints with CiV were little things that would make you crazy when you played it as much as I did. Not being able to control how your borders naturally expand drove me nuts.

I don't care that much about an AI that cheats, in fact I don't care if it cheats at all, but it was annoying that you were extremely limited in how you could go about building wonders and playing on Deity because the AI had such an early game hammer advantage. Instead of adapting to my surroundings and targeting certain strategies, I felt like almost all of my Deity games were the same until I hit the Medieval era.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Yeah, I'd love to see territorial borders be a more interesting mechanic. One idea I've been toying with since like Civ4 is the ability to have disputed borders. If two nations both claim some of the same tiles, then they have a border war, which is a smaller scope of conflict than the full on conquest that's the only choice now. Of course, a border war could always escalate if neither side is willing to back down...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My only really big complaint with Civ V is that the diplomacy is terrible, I mean quite possibly even worse than Civ 1. Just give me Civ V with meaningful diplomacy rather than "gently caress you player, because gently caress you, that's why" and you can have my $60 no questions asked.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Marketing New Brain posted:

My big complaints with CiV were little things that would make you crazy when you played it as much as I did. Not being able to control how your borders naturally expand drove me nuts.

I don't care that much about an AI that cheats, in fact I don't care if it cheats at all, but it was annoying that you were extremely limited in how you could go about building wonders and playing on Deity because the AI had such an early game hammer advantage. Instead of adapting to my surroundings and targeting certain strategies, I felt like almost all of my Deity games were the same until I hit the Medieval era.

You can kinda control your border expansion in Civ V by purchasing tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
closed thread. New thread here:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775912

• Locked thread