Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
This has been pretty cool, and an adorable game in ways [cat is best morph ball], thanks for showing it off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does poison work against the Duchess?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Does poison work against the Duchess?

Nope, in order for the poison to work your arrows have to detonate on impact.

Magic items are your best bet to deal safe damage.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Combat Lobster posted:

Nope, in order for the poison to work your arrows have to detonate on impact.

Magic items are your best bet to deal safe damage.

Honestly, this battle made me genuinely curious to see a like... 100%, no items run. I think the rest of the game is pretty doable, if difficult, but this boss really makes me question it.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Yes, very much so. It'll just take longer. You just need to pick out the moments Lupiar is open. Namely after she does either ground pound attacks or the uppercut. You also need to know how to manipulate her AI to make these openings available. (Namely gauging distance between you and her. Close range = right hook>uppercut, uppercut, or right hook>ground pound; long range = ground pound w/ range attack)

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Combat Lobster posted:

Yes, very much so. It'll just take longer. You just need to pick out the moments Lupiar is open. Namely after she does either ground pound attacks or the uppercut. You also need to know how to manipulate her AI to make these openings available. (Namely gauging distance between you and her. Close range = right hook>uppercut, uppercut, or right hook>ground pound; long range = ground pound w/ range attack)

Huh! This is fascinating! Thank you so much for posting this! (hilarious ending btw)

That makes me feel a lot less antagonistic about this boss. I still don't think she's good, but she seems less RNG than I had thought she was.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Alright - penultimate episode guys!

And this one went... Considerably better than last. We explore Karst castle, do clean up on item and map completion, and find the final boss... As well as a mini boss and a cat friend along the way!

I'm excited to see where this game will go as we enter combat with the Geometry Queen.

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

The finale is out.

We take our battle to the queen of geometry herself, after popping off to do some errands to clear up the 100% rating (and meet the devs along the way) and get the final items.

Anyway, now that I'm at the end of my very long 100% Momodora Series run as well as my Momo4 run... I felt I should give some final thoughts.

Honestly, this game was pretty goshed darned neat. The controls were rock solid, the gameplay was great, and with one exception (who Combat Lobster showed wasn't so bad), I had a lot of fun with all of the bosses.

That said? Honestly? It wasn't my favourite of the series. Now that I've 100%'d all of them, I think my list is somewhere around 2/3/4/1.

Two had the best overall package to me and had a genuinely nice ending that felt genuinely satisfying (really the only game in the series to do that imho).

I loved the look and feel of 3, even better than 2, but the movement away from metroidvania and that gigantic fart of an ending kept it from being the best to me.

1 isn't bad, but isn't anything to write home about. I do wonder what Dora did with her guns...

And yeah... 4. It had the best gameplay by a mile. But that's not really enough to do it for me. The environments in that game were so samey and bland to me after awhile. I loved the intro forest and I ADORED the memorial park, but the whole rest of the game kinda blurred together into a visually uninteresting mess of samey emotional responses. It needed a lot more variety and colour imho.

Like in the intro forest - I felt like I was entering this ethereal world and it was super neat. The park, imho, excellently conveyed a sense of forlorn beauty that I REALLY dug as well. However, the rest of the game just all sorta evoked a sense of dreary decay to me. I was super into it at first when I was outside of Karst Castle, but by the underwater zone I was tired of that and wanted something else to mix it up. Sadly the rest of the game would do that too. It really bored me and kiiiinda made me just want the game to end near the end of it.

I was also really unsatisfied with the ending. Seemed arbitrarily tragic for the sake of DRAMA. Now, it was mostly keeping in the tone of the game, so it wasn't COMPLETELY arbitrary and unfitting (and we DID see loss throughout the game, setting it up a bit), but it DID end up feeling like a giant 'gently caress you' to me. I was also very unhappy that they didn't at least TRY to handle the Momo3 time travel scene. I really wanted to see Momo or Dora done in the full-body style of Momo4!

I still thought 4 was good. I still enjoyed it. A lot, even. It definitely had some AMAZINGLY fun bosses and the controls were airtight and absurdly fun. But... I ultimately really didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I felt I should have.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Interrsting, what would you say made 2 so much better?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Thank you very much for the lp; was pretty fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horikawa Otane
Feb 1, 2016

by SA Support Robot

SSNeoman posted:

Interrsting, what would you say made 2 so much better?

Honestly, at least for me, it was the fact that it did Metroidvania really well (mostly, there were some REALLY dumb secrets that I got lucky and stumbled on) and it had a nice, satisfying ending to it all.

Also, it had some super fun boss battles... But really, it was a tone thing. I just dug the tone of that game like crazy and that did it for me.

• Locked thread