Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadTitude
Feb 15, 2003

Not so curious after the war.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/15/elderly-mans-quaker-oats-contest-submission-rejected-because-it-s-hand-written.html?intcmp=hpbt4 posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/15/elderly-mans-quaker-oats-contest-submission-rejected-because-it-s-hand-written.html?intcmp=hpbt4

William Smith has been eating oatmeal every morning of his life, so when the 80-year-old Massachusetts man saw a Quaker Oats "best recipe" contest, he was quick to mail in his favorite: oats topped with brown sugar, pineapple and coconut flakes.

But Smith's "Hawaiian Special" recipe, which he wrote by hand on a piece of paper, was rejected and returned to him a few days later -- with a letter accompanying it.

"Please be advised that your letter, with attachment, does not constitute a valid entry into the Contest in accordance with the Official Rules available at https://www.bringyourbestbowl.com" wrote a representative for PepsiCo, which owns Quaker Oats Company.

Pepsico used snail mail to reject Smith's entry, possibly because there was noother way to inform him the contest required digital submissions.
(Courtesy" William Smith)
"The submissions are accepted through either the contest application on Quaker's website, select retailer websites, Twitter, or Facebook during the submission period," the March 3 letter read. "We will not accept entries via alternative methods of entry."

Smith, who doesn't own a computer, called the letter "discouraging" and a form of age discrimination.

"When I see corporate America and how they can't take a paper
submission, I think it's ridiculous," Smith said Friday from his home in Sturbridge, Mass. "They don't realize where they came from."

Smith decided to send in his "Best Bowl" recipe in late February after seeing an advertisement for the contest and its prize: $250,000.

On a piece of paper, he jotted down four ingredients in legible handwriting and including the bowl's name, "Hawaiian Special."

"I have been using your product since 1946," he wrote. "I am 80 years old."

A PepsiCo spokeswoman Jody Menaker told FoxNews.com the company had apologized to Smith for the tone of the letter he received in response to his entry.

"For this specific contest, entries could only be accepted online," she said. "The intent behind that was not meant to make the promotion seem inaccessible, but rather to ensure a level playing field across all submissions."

Menaker added that PepsiCo greatly appreciated Smith’s enthusiasm and support of the contest, as well as his love for Quaker.

Smith knew that winning the money was a longshot but said he never expected to receive a rejection letter for his failure to submit his recipe electronically.

"I realize times have changed but I’m sure the man on the Quaker Oats box doesn’t recognize a computer either," he quipped.

"I think it’s age discrimination but I would never force the issue," he said. "When you reach a certain age, you have to let things go."

When FoxNews.com asked Smith for the photo seen above, he readily agreed to submit it -- by "snail" mail. That's when his granddaughter, Jacklyn, with her newfangled computer, stepped in to help her grandpa.

This is probably the most important news story you will read all day. Can't wait to try his Hawaiian oatmeal though!!!

BadTitude fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

grandpa old. so what

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Pineapple in oatmeal? Disgusting.

Now, pineapple on pizza - that's delicious!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

uggggghhhh i tried pineapple on oatmeal once and it was gross
citrus or acidic flavors were just not right with the brown sugar
keep it to like bananas, nuts, and raisins

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just sent in an electronic submission with his recipe

What should I do with the prize money

BadTitude
Feb 15, 2003

Not so curious after the war.

JazzFlight posted:

uggggghhhh i tried pineapple on oatmeal once and it was gross
citrus or acidic flavors were just not right with the brown sugar
keep it to like bananas, nuts, and raisins

thanks for this tip brother.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Just sent in an electronic submission with his recipe

What should I do with the prize money
buy him an account

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

fun fact: quaker oats has nothing to do with quakers, they appropriated the name because quakers had a reputation for being fair in business dealings

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
but Hebrew National hot dogs are made by the chosen people, right?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
hmmmm.. i solved this problem by bending half-erect penis backwards and stuffing the tip into my butthole. after that entering the oatmeal contest was easy.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ein cooler Typ posted:

but Hebrew National hot dogs are made by the chosen people, right?

Yes, union workers

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

how can you do this pepsi

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

i am 80. i bout=gt your product for years i dont understand i need closure... do you respect me anymore

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i have been using your product since 4/20 i am 69 years old

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Six months from now we're gonna see GPAfuxx0rMyMouth49 dry-humping a koala waifu pillow because of the goddamn Quaker internet gateway effect ruined another of the greatest generation

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

millenials should kill the greatest generation so they dont look so lovely by comparison

+legal weed within 5 years

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Not reading rules is age discrimination?

Millenials

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I really have no interest in reading that poo poo

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Soon old people will know how to use computers

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
thought it was gonna be something about the six-flags guy

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Windows 98 posted:

Let's be serious.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What kind of an idiot writes a really old guy a rejection letter when they could have just thrown it away and ignored it?

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i have been using your product since 4/20 i am 69 years old

:keke:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Also he missed a golden opportunity to be quoted by that reporter asking "Who pissed in their oatmeal?"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

resistentialism posted:

What kind of an idiot writes a really old guy a rejection letter when they could have just thrown it away and ignored it?
Yeah this story sounds entirely made up to criticize modern America and these kids today, but they miss so many opportunities to talk about how beep boop computers have destroyed the world that I guess it could be real? But...who in the world did this? Why would someone do this? Whoever it was is a real go-getter

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

what kind of poof eats oatmeal with sugar and coconut. adults eat oatmeal with salt and razor blades

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Leather Daddy posted:

This is probably the most important news story you will read all day. Can't wait to try his Hawaiian oatmeal though!!!

age discrimination my rear end. Get good you retarded old geezer.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

If he's not one to press the issue and has learned to let things go why is he talking to fox news

Also that old dummy's recipe is bad. I like to take some nice oats and sauté them with a little butter and brown sugar until they turn golden, then you add salt and cayenne pepper to taste and have a nice warm crunchy snack with just a little kick. Try it on a cold day!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

basement jihadist posted:

how can you do this pepsi

He's only going to be eating that gruel for a few more years, tops. He's not young enough of a customer for the company to need to give a poo poo.

Maybe he should have written this instead: "I am a 26 year old millennial who can't afford to eat anything but ramen noodles because of my crippling student loan debt, and the only relief I get from the terrible constipation is by sprinkling some of your oatmeal flakes on it. Because of my loan repayment schedule, I will be using your product for the next 50 years. Please enter me in your dumb contest."

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
old man's brains are practically oatmeal too if you ask me lol.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
this reason SHOCKED me

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I hope when I'm 80 I won't steadfastly refuse to jack into the neural net or whatever we end up using by then

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
newsflash: being old has nothing to do with not being able to use a computer. MY MOM is 70 something and her job requires computer usage. When my dad was still alive he also could computer, though he was pretty bad at it.

This isnt old discrimination its cowardly idiot discrimination. Which is OK in my book. It's not a protected class.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Strategic Tea posted:

I hope when I'm 80 I won't steadfastly refuse to jack into the neural net or whatever we end up using by then

Yeah no poo poo. Trideo with smellovision, here I cum.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I hope when I am 80 Snail Mail still exists.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Windows 98 posted:

The Sphinxster posted:

Let's be serious.

He's right, when all the old people without computers die off because they can't log onto WebMD to find out they have cancer, all that will be left will be old people with computers and cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
boy I wonder why their contest with a $250,000 cash prize is online only?

quote:

THE QUAKER OATS COMPANY (“Quaker”)
PRIVACY POLICY

WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT.

Contact information. We might collect your name and email address if you register on our site. We might also collect your phone number or mailing address. We might collect your friend’s email address for our send-a-friend feature.

Information you submit or post. We collect the information you post in a public space on our websites. We also collect information when you contact us.

Demographic information. We may collect information like your gender and birthdate. We may collect information about your product preferences. We might collect this when you contact us or enter a promotion. We may collect your zip code (for example, to help you find a store that sells our products.)

Other information. If you use our website, we may collect information about the browser you’re using. We might look at what site you came from, or what site you visit when you leave us. If you use our mobile app, we may collect your location. We might look at how often you use the app and where you downloaded it.

HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION.

We collect information directly from you. We collect information if you sign up for emails, eNewsletters, enter our recipe box, enter a promotion or fill out an online survey. We also collect information if you contact us.

We collect information from you passively. We use tracking tools like browser cookies and web beacons. We also collect information from our mobile apps.

We may get information about you from third parties. For example, our business partners or social media platforms may give us information about you.

HOW WE USE INFORMATION.

We use information to respond to your requests or questions. We may use your information to respond to your comments and questions, or to notify you if you win a contest or sweepstakes.

We use information to improve our products and services. We may use your information to make our websites and products better. We might use your information to customize your experience with us. We may combine information we get from you with information about you we get from third parties.

We use information for security purposes. We may use information to protect our company, our customers, and our websites.

We use information for marketing purposes. For example, we might send you information about new products and special offers. We might tell you about new promotions, features or updates. These might be third party offers or products we think you might find interesting. We may also use push notifications on our mobile apps. To manage this, read the“Your Choices”section below.

We use information to communicate with you about your account or our relationship. We may contact you about your account or feedback. We might also contact you about this Policy or our website Terms.

We use information as otherwise disclosed to you at the time we collect it.

We use information as otherwise permitted by law.

SHARING INFORMATION

We may share information within the PepsiCo, Inc. family of companies. This includes Pepsi-Cola, Frito-Lay, Gatorade, and Tropicana. This also includes future subsidiaries or affiliates. For a full list of PepsiCo brands and companies, visit http://www.pepsico.com/Brands.html.

We will share information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, we share information with vendors who perform services for us. We may also share information with companies that operate our websites or run a promotion for us.

We may share information with joint promotion partners. Sometimes we conduct joint promotions with third parties. If your register for one of those joint promotions your information may be collected by both Quaker and the third party. Or, we may give you the option to have us share your information with the promotion partner. Your information will be used by us and/or by them as described in our posted privacy policies.

We will share information if we think we have to in order to comply with the law or to protect ourselves. We will share information to respond to a court order or subpoena. We may share it if a government agency or investigatory body requests. We might also share information when we are investigating potential fraud. This might include fraud we think has happened during a sweepstakes or promotion.

We may share information with any successor to all or part of our business. For example, if part of our business was sold we may give our customer list as part of that transaction.

We may share information for other reasons we may describe to you.

We may share anonymous information. We may share information that does not identify a particular individual. We may share this information with advertisers, business partners or other third parties. For example, we may share how many men and women entered a contest.

:yikes:

quote:

By accessing and browsing any Quaker website (including, without limitation, mobile websites) or using any mobile app on which these terms reside (collectively the "Platform"), you accept, without limitation or qualification, the terms, conditions, policies and notices contained on this page (the “Terms”) including, but not limited to, conducting this transaction electronically, disclaimer of warranties, damage and remedy exclusions and limitations, and a choice of Illinois law.

Quaker may, in its sole discretion, and at any time, discontinue this Platform or any part thereof, with or without notice, or may prevent your use of this Platform with or without notice to you. You agree that you do not have any rights in this Platform and that Quaker will have no liability to you if this Platform is discontinued or your ability to access the Platform or any content you may have posted on the Platform is terminated. Upon the termination of this agreement, you shall cease all use of the Platform. You further agree that Quaker will not be liable for any modification or suspension of the Platform.

Acceptance of Terms The Quaker Oats Company (“Quaker”) provides you with access to, and use of, the Platform subject to all applicable laws and regulations and these Terms. If you do not accept each of the terms and conditions contained in these Terms without limitation, please do not use or download the Platform. These Terms supersede any other agreements you may have with Quaker regarding this subject matter.

You further understand and agree that you have no ownership rights to any account you may have with us or other access to the Platform or features therein. Quaker may cancel your account and delete all User Content associated with your account at any time, and without notice, if Quaker deems that you have violated these Terms, the law, or for any other reason. Quaker assumes no liability for any information removed from our Platform, and reserves the right to permanently restrict access to the Platform or a user account.

By displaying, publishing, or otherwise posting any User Content on or through the Platform, you hereby grant to Quaker a non-exclusive, sub-licensable, worldwide, fully-paid, royalty free license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such User Content in any and all media now known or hereinafter developed without the requirement to make payment to you or to any third party or the need to seek any third party permission. This license includes the right to host, index, cache, distribute, and tag any User Content, as well as the right to sublicense User Content to third parties, including other users, for use on other media or platforms known or hereinafter developed. You continue to retain all ownership rights in your User Content, and you continue to have the right to use your User Content in any way you choose, subject to these Terms and the license described herein. You represent and warrant that you own the content submitted, displayed, published or posted by you on the Platform and otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth herein, and the displaying, publishing or posting of any content you submit, and our use thereof does not and will not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, trademark rights, patents, contract rights or any other intellectual property rights or other rights of any person or entity.

You agree to indemnify and hold Quaker, its parents, subsidiaries, officers, employees, agents, and contractors and each of their officers, employees and agents harmless from any claims, damages and expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees and costs, related to your violation of these Terms, or any violations thereof by your dependents or which arises from the use of User Content you submitted, posted, or otherwise provided to Quaker or this Platform.

Location Based Services: This Platform may use location-based services to locate you. If you choose to use the location-based services portion of this Platform, you consent to Quaker and/or its third party provider accessing your approximate or exact location. You also grant Quaker permission to use this information to improve its products or to provide services or technologies to you, as well as to provide advertising content in which Quaker believes you may be interested, including working with third parties who provide targeted advertising content. For more information, please see the Quaker Ads and Tracking disclosure (at http://www.quakeroats.com/ad_tracking.aspx.)

Assignment. Quaker may assign this agreement, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice to you. You may not assign this contract, or any part of it, to any other person. Any attempt by you to do so is void. You may not transfer to anyone else, either temporarily or permanently, any rights to use all or any part of the Platform. To the extent that you allow a third party to use your device, you shall remain solely responsible for the use of the Platform by others using the device.

hey grampa are you getting a full UDSA serving of ads with your oatmeal? no? then gently caress off!

• Locked thread