Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teek posted:

Designated Survivor looks good, but I have to question why the government would keep the "designated survivor" in the same city as everyone else, surely they should be in a completely different state. It doesn't matter either way I'm guessing within the context of the show, but it still seems dumb. Guess they just really want him to look at the window and see the destroyed capital building.

Since 9/11 the actual designated survivors tapped have to be close to the White House. Before that it was just whatever you normally did keep doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

X-O posted:

Since 9/11 the actual designated survivors tapped have to be close to the White House. Before that it was just whatever you normally did keep doing it.

I assume they are close enough to react but far enough way to be outside the blast radius of a small nuke.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time After Time seems to be a bit of a mess. If it was up to me, the line, "Can you really shoot me?" would always be followed up with a shot to the forehead.

Of the writer.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
For a second there I thought it was Aaron Ashmore in Conviction. But then it's Shawn Ashmore? I didn't know he decided to come slum it on TV like his brother.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

For a second there I thought it was Aaron Ashmore in Conviction. But then it's Shawn Ashmore? I didn't know he decided to come slum it on TV like his brother.

Yeah, he was a supporting actor on The Following. Also Aaron already has a job, he's still on Killljoys.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Conviction looks pretty bad. They cancelled Carter for that?

Designated Survivor looks better than expected, though it seems like it would be a short-run series.

Speachless actually looks really good. Like possibly Modern Family's first 4ish seasons good. I might actually give this one a try.

Notorious looks like it'll devolve into stupid relationship drama.

The Imaginary Mary part of Imaginary Mary looks terrible. Shame because Jenna Elfman should be in something good.

The rest of it looks pretty poopy.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

If they recast Time After Time to star Paul F Tompkins it would be the greatest TV show ever.

I wonder if they'll get David Warner and Malcolm McDowell to cameo, it's not like either of them is hard to get.

Actually watching the trailer now it looks like Sleepy Hollow only without the batshit mythology that made that series so surprisingly good for the first season.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh my god, she's going to gently caress the dog, isn't she?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It will take me a while before I stop seeing President Bauer.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Designated Survivor looks really good.

Time After Time not so much, but the original movie was so good I have a hard time comparing any remake to it without the remake falling up short.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Knormal posted:

No worries, that's a season 3 plotline and the thing will not get more than six episodes in the first place.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Knormal posted:

Most shows want to keep up the will they/won't they tension for a while.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Allison Tolman deserves so much better than this.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Did they change the first name of Atwell's character in Conviction? Previously in the summary and on IMDB, it was "Carter Morrison", now it's "Hayes Morrison". (Actually, it's still "Carter Morrison" on IMDB.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's definitely Hayes in the trailer.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Everything just looks so bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Everything just looks so bad.

Kind of sums up the state of network television in 2016. :v:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I bet downward dog never sees the air like the crazy Vampire show on Fox last year.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

Kind of sums up the state of network television in 2016. :v:

Is it me or every network has a few shows based on movies that haven't had sequels in a long time? I am not saying there isn't anything wrong with that, as Buffy the Vampire Slayer was way better then the movie it was based on, but I dunno how well a Lethal Weapon or Time After Time movie are going to be compared to the original. Look how quickly the Rush Hour tv show lasted!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is Rush Hour off the air already, or are they going to burn off all the episodes they have first?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

Is Rush Hour off the air already, or are they going to burn off all the episodes they have first?

Going from the CBS Upfronts, it didn't get renew.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There was a Rush Hour TV show? :psyduck:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Polaron posted:

It was on CBS and hasn't really been on for long. It must have been doing really poor in the ratings for them to pull the plug this quickly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, it's apparently 8 episodes in, I could've sworn it was only 4 or 5. Still on the air as on tonight, according to TV Guide, and is surprisingly not terrible, but I won't miss it and I don't think anyone else will either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rirse posted:

Is it me or every network has a few shows based on movies that haven't had sequels in a long time? I am not saying there isn't anything wrong with that, as Buffy the Vampire Slayer was way better then the movie it was based on, but I dunno how well a Lethal Weapon or Time After Time movie are going to be compared to the original. Look how quickly the Rush Hour tv show lasted!

Lethal Weapon could work though, at it's core the movies were buddy cop movies. So, have some crimes of the week but have an arc throughout about something big, like a drug ring or something like that. A homicide here, a robbery there, busting a drug lab, eventually relating them all together to the mayor or something by the end.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Lethal Weapon could work though, at it's core the movies were buddy cop movies. So, have some crimes of the week but have an arc throughout about something big, like a drug ring or something like that. A homicide here, a robbery there, busting a drug lab, eventually relating them all together to the mayor or something by the end.

They had this show and it was called The Good Guys.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Party Plane Jones posted:

They had this show and it was called The Good Guys.

I still call them "smarty phones" :smith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Good Guys was too good for this world.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Polaron posted:

It's actually fairly good for what it is but apparently nobody noticed it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Downward Dog sounds like the craziest and stupidest drat premise, but if anyone can save it Tolman can. Designated Survivor could be fun, no real hope for the rest.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

It will take me a while before I stop seeing President Bauer.

This is why he is wearing those conspicuous glasses. The end of the season cliff hanger is him taking them off and then the clock starts ticking again.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
It's a sad state of affairs for a "plus size" actress if you follow up Fargo Season 1 with Downward Dog. I'm not sure what's worse--talking dog or talking CGI hallucination. Time travel looks stupid, President Bauer looks like another pretentious sandbox for Kiefer, and Atwell deserves better than a whacky procedural where her character learns to fly straight. American Housewife is going to be a slam dunk if it stays paint-by-numbers. The rest looks pretty forgettable.

Only stand-out is Speechless. The disability community is pretty stoked for it, and based on the trailer, I'm hopeful.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 20, 2016

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I watched the Conviction trailer and was completely distracted by the guy playing the "sexy nemesis District Attorney", in a 'who the gently caress IS that guy?' way.

Turns out I remember him as the guy who played Tag, Rachel's lightweight assistant for a season or so of Friends.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pixelante posted:

Atwell deserves better than a whacky procedural where her character learns to fly straight.

Right. I would much rather watch Atwell tear it up as an adventuring, out of control, somehow not British, former first daughter. The setup is much more interesting than the payoff.

Pixelante posted:

Only stand-out is Speechless. The disability community is pretty stoked for it, and based on the trailer, I'm hopeful.

Agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The only one that interests me is Still Star-Crossed (bad title tho). I'm a sucker for period dramas with violence and evil families scheming and sex. I also like that they are moving on to the aftermath of Romeo & Juliet instead of just retelling it again.

Designated Survivor looks like it could be good, but the genre isn't really my thing so I probably won't watch it.

I am absolutely stunned at how lovely the Conviction trailer is compared to the synopsis.

• Locked thread