Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Nothing you do matters actually, OP.

But for produce this goes double because no matter how much you wash it you can't get all the Monsanto's out. Did you see the two corns? The squirrel only ate the non-GMO corn. Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The average GBS poster could get a side job taste testing paint for lead and it wouldn't harm them. I'm either above or below average. Whichever one has more farts and pissjugs.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Science has proven that exposure to water will have a slightly dampening effect on edible flora.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Dirt and pesticides?

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
I actually was taught that if it didn't seem like water alone would be enough than to add some acetic acid (vinegar) to the rinse.

Captain Video
Apr 4, 2016
I've had heads of organic lettuce that had shittons of dead worms and dirt in between the leaves, washing those before chopping up your salad might be a good idea. For most commercial fruits/vegetables it's unnecessary though

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah you're totally right and I learned something yesterday but it just doesn't make intuitive sense to me at all. I wouldn't take a poo poo, rinse my hands with plain cold water, then eat (and this is what most people seem to be afraid of the handlers doing itt) and yet according to the fda that honestly should be good enough.

Compare:

quote:

In households where food was prepared without washing hands, children had diarrhea in 12.5% of monthly assessments compared with 8.3% in households where one hand was washed with water only, 6.9% where both hands were washed with water only, and 3.7% where at least one hand was washed with soap.

so water cuts the risk in half, and soap cuts it in half again, more or less.

Plants aren't the same as hands, so not all the assumptions will transfer. They probably have a lot more loose dirt, for one.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
lol if you trust the FDA, the same dept making you all obese

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

JiveHonky posted:

Does washing fruits and vegetables really do anything?

has anyone found out this question yet :confused:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
How do you only wash one hand? Put a glove on the other hand?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

criscodisco posted:

How do you only wash one hand? Put a glove on the other hand?

The research was done in rural Bangladesh where residents are often drawing water from a pump or pouring it from a pitcher, so washing both hands takes an extra step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

ive never heard someone question the wisdom of washing... fuckin goons

• Locked thread