Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z335is
Jul 18, 2011
Curious as to whether anyone has ever (successfully) used one of those "pay us to take your class" sites for an advanced graduate level course. Long story short, life happened and I'm now shamefully sniffing around this option for a class or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
This is my first post in like five years and I'm going to use it to tell you that you're a loving idiot if you try to find a lovely site to take your graduate level class for you. If you are serious about cheating, find some advanced student in your program or a postdoc or something and offer them lots of cash. Alternatively, drop out, because that seems like it might be a better option for you personally.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
This will definitely come back to bite you in 15 years when your diploma gets revoked and you lose your job/wife/house/whatever.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If the 'life happened' is serious enough, contact the professor for the class and explain? You should have a bit more leeway at higher graduate courses; you've already proven you are at least kind of competent and have some form of interest in the field.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Namarrgon posted:

If the 'life happened' is serious enough, contact the professor for the class and explain? You should have a bit more leeway at higher graduate courses; you've already proven you are at least kind of competent and have some form of interest in the field.

This, at grad level you should have several options available including deferral as a last resort. Don't be dumb.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
So not worth it. Even if you get away with it for a while what's stopping a less scrupulous company from extorting you later for even more cash? You're basically paying someone for the opportunity to blackmail you when it's going to be better in the long run to bite the bullet and admit you hosed up. At this point in the game the professor might think of it as an excuse but it's sure better than cheating and having that in the back of your head for the rest of your life.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
If you want to get kicked out and likely blacklisted by every other decent university, go for it.

Alternatively, meet with an academic adviser, be honest about your situation, and ask about your options. I promise you'll get much more goodwill if you go with that plan.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I've known people of means who've hired direct employees to do this sort of thing successfully. While I find the practice despicable, the arrangements worked just fine.

I'd be very reluctant to use a website service for such nefarious business.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a thread a while back about a guy who worked for one of those places that would write essays/do homework for money? I remember him talking about writing people's theses for them or whatever. It was a fun read.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is what your DGS is there for. Don't be an idiot.

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

Part of Everything posted:

This, at grad level you should have several options available including deferral as a last resort. Don't be dumb.

Totally.

One of the perks of Grad School is getting close with department heads, various university offices, and other people with the ability to make your life easier. Don't be a cog in the machine, build good professional relationships and you might be surprised how accommodating grad school can be with legitimate issues. And even if you haven't built those relationships (and you should), your university should have resources. Not to mention, being on friendly terms with everyone makes Grad School easier. Everyone knows it can suck, and its good to have a support system of students and profs. And office staff. Good terms with office staff is a life saver. Its really sad how many people don't take advantage of help when they need it at school.

That said: how on earth would having someone take your place work at the grad level? I'm in history so maybe its different, but having someone take a class for another would be found out instantly. If its a seminar, that wouldn't be possible given the emphasis on discussion, and for extended papers and research I would hope an advisor would find out. Talk to the appropriate people instead.

z335is
Jul 18, 2011
I appreciate the advice so far and I'm leaning against this now. But just to clarify, this is an online program that I'm attending (still a top 10 school though).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You know, I'm sure you're going to have a great time repaying your student debt for no reason once they find out about this in a few years and revoke your degree. Not like any professional associates will care that you knowingly set yourself up for blackmail by doing something wildly unethical and paying someone to be quiet about it!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

z335is posted:

(still a top 10 school though)
lol

brotato
May 14, 2013

z335is posted:

I appreciate the advice so far and I'm leaning against this now. But just to clarify, this is an online program that I'm attending (still a top 10 school though).

lmao how are you such a gently caress-up that you can't even manage an online course?? Jesus.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Stop "leaning" and do the right thing.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I'll do it for $(my student loan balance), goon. I pinky swear not to tell anyone (for at least 48 hours).

(seriously if you're considering this seriously at all you're a loving idiot)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds like they only accept the smartest of the smarties in this "top 10" online program, OP.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Which grad school is it so I can avoid it, as clearly they're recruiting from the bottom of the barrel (even lower than me)?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

naughty_penguin posted:

Wasn't there a thread a while back about a guy who worked for one of those places that would write essays/do homework for money? I remember him talking about writing people's theses for them or whatever. It was a fun read.

The Shadow Scholar. He turned it into a book, which is why I seem to have trouble finding the original essay.

The essay was a good read, and OP's plan is a terrible idea.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

z335is posted:

I'm studying online and I think you're an idiot for contemplating this too.

Time to grow up and act like an adult, buddy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

BooLoo posted:

I'm studying online and I think you're an idiot for contemplating this too.

Time to grow up and act like an adult, buddy.

For real. I'm busy as gently caress doing the classes I'm doing and I just asked for more time to deal with my legal/medical problems. Professors will work with you.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Don't they check your ID before you are allowed to take the exam for an online course? I'm very sceptical that you could pull this off, even if you tried to.

Seems like you have only two choices here. Either cut you losses and ask for accommodations/opportunity to retake the exam or get a shoebox full of Adderall/meth and power through this like an adult.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

waitwhatno posted:

Don't they check your ID before you are allowed to take the exam for an online course? I'm very sceptical that you could pull this off, even if you tried to.

Seems like you have only two choices here. Either cut you losses and ask for accommodations/opportunity to retake the exam or get a shoebox full of Adderall/meth and power through this like an adult.

At mine you got a cheap-ish webcam sent to you before your first online exam, you test it out and set it up exactly the way they want it or they won't let you start. It was basic stuff like the camera had to be able to see your keyboard, hands, face and general area around you at all times. The room had to be decently lit and free of clutter too, I wasn't allowed to have a pen and paper except on one test where I had to show the proctor my blank paper, a pen and the area to make sure I didn't have a sheet stuffed somewhere.

They never checked my ID though, not even the first time. I guess they'd catch you if you did something really stupid like take a test and then have someone else take another test a few hours later but I never got ID'd. Maybe they do for online certifications now but I'm not sure.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Jesus christ this forum is full of pussies. If you do it youll most likely be fine. Whoever is taking the class for you wants future buisness and to avoid trouble themselves. no one is going to ever find out and ruin your life in the future.

Is it the right thing to do no. but who cares if you can cheat and get away with it.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

What is even the point of getting the degree if you're not going to do any of the coursework and learn anything? Also paying for someone to take the course in addition to paying for the course itself sounds like a massive waste of money.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Jesus christ this forum is full of pussies. If you do it youll most likely be fine. Whoever is taking the class for you wants future buisness and to avoid trouble themselves. no one is going to ever find out and ruin your life in the future.

Is it the right thing to do no. but who cares if you can cheat and get away with it.

I agree with you about the paranoia, but it's more that there really is no point. If you are taking higher grad courses you should be on speaking terms with your professors. If it is important enough just be honest with your professor and they'll make it work. If it is not important enough it is not important enough.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Namarrgon posted:

If you are taking higher grad courses you should be on speaking terms with your professors.

It's an online course, though, and rumor has it that it's really hard to get along with Professor Clippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not really related but what school is this from? Like are you just taking a few online courses with actual ones or do you get a whole degree online?

• Locked thread