Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

VectorSigma posted:

i think the idea goes back to before there was a national high speed transit network and old fogies remember getting goods delivered by merchants in their town and weren't accustomed to this newfangled idea of distribution chains and distant warehouses managed from distant offices.

Did the product come with a return envelope that the postman would put the money into? What happened if you weren't at home when the postman came? Was it difficult for the postman to have to sign and certify and carry money? It just seems like a clunky system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

What year was this, I am assuming 1988 or onward?

Also, this ad is interesting because it has girls in it. Most of the toy marketing was done to boys.

Yeah, it was marketed sometime around 1989 I believe.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

VectorSigma posted:

you know, as much as transformers in the 80's was essentially the blueprint of the half hour toy commercial, the cartoons had more compelling and subtly nuanced plots compared to the michael bay blockbuster shitheaps of 20+ years later and that is just silly

Are you loving kidding me?

I turned on the first episode of Transformers when some retro cartoon channel was having a free weekend preview back when I had cable.

The first episode is a man and his child working on an offshore oil derrick (who the gently caress lets a kid on an oil derrick?) and the Deceptions attack.

Rather than making GBS threads their pants and hiding they loving fight back by throwing pipe wrenches and poo poo!

Then the second episode starts and Optimus shows up and pretty much literally says 'I'm the good guy robot from another planet here to fight the bad guy robots!' and the kid again says he wants to loving help, instead of the expected reaction of 'OH poo poo A TALKING ROBOT GET THE gently caress AWAY FROM ME'

The first Bay movie at least got that part right and wasn't completely terrible. The rest of them were really loving bad, though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also go watch an episode of the old Thundercats cartoon and then go apologize to your parents for flooding the house with that retarded drivel back in the 80s.

Christ, I had a god damned Transformers book on tape that I occasionally insisted on listening to on road trips. If I had a tape player I'd make a copy of it because I'm pretty sure the CIA would like a copy, it'd be more effective psychological torture than blasting rock music at captives for 48 hours straight.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

glowing-fish posted:

Did the product come with a return envelope that the postman would put the money into? What happened if you weren't at home when the postman came? Was it difficult for the postman to have to sign and certify and carry money? It just seems like a clunky system.

the mail wasn't even involved. the stores would deliver goods themselves.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

VectorSigma posted:

the mail wasn't even involved. the stores would deliver goods themselves.

But obviously the company selling Sea Monkeys did not have their own delivery service, so they were going through the mail?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

glowing-fish posted:

But obviously the company selling Sea Monkeys did not have their own delivery service, so they were going through the mail?

for a while there was a system for accepting payment as a COD through mail but it didn't really work out for obvious reasons. i guess it's still a thing in the third world though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

How did CODs even work? Was there a time when the friendly neighborhood mailman would come inside for a nice glass of lemonade, while littly Billy emptied his piggy bank for the 2 dimes, 5 nickles and 5 pennies needed to pay for his seamonkeys?

ask your mother

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

tomstuart posted:

a toilet for idiots

mods change my name

Toastte
Aug 3, 2012
The attention to detail and care these grown men show while playing with these TMNT toys in this commercial is truly something special. I think I still have a canister of ooze in my attic somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZL4edraDr0

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
A pair of Barbie commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYsIO7ds4tU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_UGRwFHhUc

Pretty much the same change in a few years, even if Barbie is different from He-Man. In the first ad, its just two girls playing with a toy and narrating what they are doing. In the second, the toy world itself it the big thing. Also, of course, the second has a lot more production behind it.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Godamned Teddy Ruxpin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EshrR-xk2E

When this little human being came out you couldn't go 2 and a half minutes on any tv station without seeing a commercial for it.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I loved THE poo poo out of these things and had a whole bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbn-XMxXlXw

I have no idea how I would have towed my toy sea plane up a gradual incline without them.

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 19, 2016

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

First example of a 1980s toy ad:

"My Buddy", a 1985 attempt to market dolls to boys by selling them as a partner, rather than as something to be cared for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJDg2g1COyc

I don't think this particular trend worked out very well, but the ad was memorable enough that five years later, Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest referenced the jingle in a song, and 30 years later, I could still remember the commercial. I am guessing this commercial was marketed more to parents than to children, and it seems to be suggesting that having a surrogate friend is just a normal part of being an active, happy preschooler.

Wasn't that one the inspiration for the Chucky doll in 'Child's Play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Muscadine Wine posted:

Wasn't that one the inspiration for the Chucky doll in 'Child's Play?

This seems to be claimed, but I don't know if it is true.

• Locked thread