Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I am almost locked in for a trip to the big island of Hawaii for a snorkel-centric vacation in November. I am a bit hesitant about the trip because I've already been to Kauai and Maui (twice), and I worry that the big island will be more of the same. Because of that, I haven't finalized the trip.

So earlier today, I was informed that there is a good chance that I'll be in Japan in mid-September. I am now thinking of using Japan as my launching point for a snorkel-centric vacation. Manila and Cebu City in the Philippines are a simple and cheap hop from Japan. I remember reading that the Philippines get windy during that time frame, but I cannot find the reference. Is my memory right? If so, can anybody recommend a location that is a direct flight from Narita and has insanely nice snorkeling right from the beaches? I don't want to do Scuba (though I am certified) and I really want to avoid daily boat trips to the snorkeling locations. Decent hiking is also a must.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
Why not an Andaman Sea location in Thailand?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

grellgraxer posted:

Why not an Andaman Sea location in Thailand?

Isn't that Monsoon season? Stronger winds, more rainfall -> poorer visibility.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
Does it have to be from Narita? Because I think Haneda Airport in Tokyo has direct flights to the Yaeyama Islands which have nice snorkeling. Iriomote Island (a 1 hour ferry from Ishigaki, where the airport is) in particular is said to have good coral reefs right off shore, and also has some good hikes into the interior.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ookuwagata posted:

Does it have to be from Narita? Because I think Haneda Airport in Tokyo has direct flights to the Yaeyama Islands which have nice snorkeling. Iriomote Island (a 1 hour ferry from Ishigaki, where the airport is) in particular is said to have good coral reefs right off shore, and also has some good hikes into the interior.

The departure airport is a variable as long as it's somewhere near Kobe or Tokyo.

But same question as above: Isn't mid-September Monsoon season in that part of the planet? Also, how difficult is transportation? Renting a car will probably not be an option as I have zero experience driving on the left. How easy is it to communicate in English over there? I know on the mainland it can be really difficult. Are credit cards as hard to use as on the mainland? Will there be some western food? Can do I do a decent amount of snorkeling directly from the shore without having to hop on a boat (I hate having my vacation schedule dictated by another person, also motion sickness)?

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

theHUNGERian posted:

The departure airport is a variable as long as it's somewhere near Kobe or Tokyo.

But same question as above: Isn't mid-September Monsoon season in that part of the planet? Also, how difficult is transportation? Renting a car will probably not be an option as I have zero experience driving on the left. How easy is it to communicate in English over there? I know on the mainland it can be really difficult. Are credit cards as hard to use as on the mainland? Will there be some western food? Can do I do a decent amount of snorkeling directly from the shore without having to hop on a boat (I hate having my vacation schedule dictated by another person, also motion sickness)?

Japan's rainy season falls primarily in late June to July, though typhoon season lasts until almost October. I was in Kyushu in late September in 2013, and while two typhoons did pass through the region, the rain and winds lasted for 2-3 days tops and the weather was really nice otherwise (actually a bit on the warm side).

English communication is probably difficult outside of Okinawa-honto, because despite the islands being tourism focused, it's focused mainly at local Japanese tourism. Snorkeling off the beach is said to be good. For more details, I'd recommend asking around the Japan travel thread, I think there might be one goon located in Okinawa who should be able to provide better advice.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Guam, perhaps?

Quick, direct flights from all over Japan, including a ton from Narita.

US driving/currency/language/everything.

Free parking at beaches.

I can recommend a good amount of snorkeling spots, and if the mood strikes you there are a few beach dive locations that are accessible and easy.

There's hiking to caves, waterfalls, WWII historical spots, easy mountains (~1100 ft.), and Hashing, if you want more drinking associated with a jungle tromp.

Weather is 80-88F permanently, it would be during our rainy season(not windy), but that just means that rain rolls across the island about 2-3x/day for a 5-minute interval. Occasional typhoons, but we haven't had a direct hit in 14 years, and we usually only get 1 or 2 scares each year.

PM me for any additional info if you are interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended registering for the conference in Japan without any extra vacation time as I couldn't figure out how to pack for one week of formal clothing/work plus one week if snorkeling/hiking. I'll visit the big island of Hawaii (I've already visited Kauai and Maui) in October or November, and try to visit a more exotic location next year, maybe Lord Howe island. I've thought about Guam, but I'm more intrigued by Palau.

• Locked thread