Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Problem description: Woke up to find my Dell Inspiron 17r-5720 on the floor; thought wife moved it but turns out the cat may have knocked it off the table. Anyway, it seems to have landed right on the power cord where it attaches to the computer. Now the connection is loose and I get an error message that says something about having the wrong AC adapter (it's OEM), the system running slower and the battery not charging. The battery is indeed not charging, but the AC power works.

Attempted fixes: Right now because the connection is so loose I have the cord super glued to the laptop. Crude but effective. I obviously googled this and found posts about this being a known Dell issue and the motherboard may be bad? I pressed F2 at startup and saw that the BIOS isn't recognizing the charger. I thought maybe just replacing the AC adapter socket would fix it ($10), but a motherboard might not be worth it. Is there a way I can tell for sure what is wrong? FYI, this wasn't the first cat accident. Same thing happened a few months ago, but all seemed fine. I remember getting the same error message that I stated above about once a month, but don't recall if it was before or after the first cat attack. please don't browbeat me about my lax cat discipline Is there some way I can force the computer to recognize the charger so the battery will charge?

Recent changes: none
--

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit

System specs: Dell Inspiron 17r-5720

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes to google, I am unable to find the FAQ I'm afraid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I believe doing the following can sometimes fix power issues like this:

Shut down the laptop, remove AC plug and battery and then hold down the power button for thirty seconds. Then reattach the stuff and see if anything is different.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
The suggestion in the post above mine is a good one.

If the laptop did fall and landed on its plugged-in charger connection, that is very likely to break ANY laptop so don't be worried that you are dealing with some known Dell issue. You are very likely dealing with physical damage. So at least that's simple.

It's not clear to me from your post, is the charging port in the laptop itself damaged/loose? Or is it the power adapters charging tip that is damaged/loose? Or both? If you are not sure this is what you gotta figure out first. You can unplug the charging tip and use a ball point pen tip to poke VERY GENTLY at the inside of the charging port in the laptop, especially the pin inside there. It shouldn't move around or feel loose. If it feels solid you might just have to replace the power adapter. Anyway I'll assume that you already realized all this and you've figured out the problem is the charging port inside the laptop itself.

As far as I know, you can't be sure if replacing the charging port will help other than actually replacing it and then testing. Like you said a new charging port is cheap so it is generally worth trying. In some laptops it is quite easy to install, sounds like you might've done it before so thats good if so. From your post it sounds like in your laptop the charging port connects directly to the motherboard, not a daughterboard with power stuff on it. If that's the case, a new motherboard is basically never worth it in a laptop. It will generally cost at least 75% the value of the laptop to get a replacement motherboard. So if the charging port connects directly to the motherboard and a new charging port does not help, after of course verifying your power adapter is working properly, personally I would replace the whole laptop at that point.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Col.Kiwi posted:

The suggestion in the post above mine is a good one.

If the laptop did fall and landed on its plugged-in charger connection, that is very likely to break ANY laptop so don't be worried that you are dealing with some known Dell issue. You are very likely dealing with physical damage. So at least that's simple.

It's not clear to me from your post, is the charging port in the laptop itself damaged/loose? Or is it the power adapters charging tip that is damaged/loose? Or both? If you are not sure this is what you gotta figure out first. You can unplug the charging tip and use a ball point pen tip to poke VERY GENTLY at the inside of the charging port in the laptop, especially the pin inside there. It shouldn't move around or feel loose. If it feels solid you might just have to replace the power adapter. Anyway I'll assume that you already realized all this and you've figured out the problem is the charging port inside the laptop itself.

As far as I know, you can't be sure if replacing the charging port will help other than actually replacing it and then testing. Like you said a new charging port is cheap so it is generally worth trying. In some laptops it is quite easy to install, sounds like you might've done it before so thats good if so. From your post it sounds like in your laptop the charging port connects directly to the motherboard, not a daughterboard with power stuff on it. If that's the case, a new motherboard is basically never worth it in a laptop. It will generally cost at least 75% the value of the laptop to get a replacement motherboard. So if the charging port connects directly to the motherboard and a new charging port does not help, after of course verifying your power adapter is working properly, personally I would replace the whole laptop at that point.

Yes, the charging port is loose. Like I said this was the second time the laptop fell on the power cord happened, and I had been getting the same error ^^^^ every so often, but the battery never didn't charge. Now though I get the message at every startup and the battery won't charge. So I'm wondering if the first fall slightly knocked something loose on the motherboard and then the 2nd time finished the job.

I guess I'll try replacing the port. There's a motherboard on Amazon for $119, still cheaper than a new computer. I've had nothing but trouble with Dell though, the laptop in question is actually a refurbished unit that Dell sent me under warranty because the first one had an issue that they couldn't solve, after repeated visits by techs to my house and the laptop being sent to them for repair.

Thanks

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

porkfriedrice posted:

So I'm wondering if the first fall slightly knocked something loose on the motherboard and then the 2nd time finished the job.

Quite possible. But if there's no damage visible to the naked eye, I'd say replacing the power port again is the best way to find out. Thats good news that you found an inexpensive motherboard, so hopefully this works out okay for you either way.

Good luck!

• Locked thread