Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The FCC has recently approved Charter Communication's acquisition of Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks. Since I live in Austin, TWC is, or was, the big dog in cable TV. I want to know what to expect from Charter's programming and services. I already know that I'll get the same channels I already watch (unless I'm mistaken, and there's a dispute going on I don't know about). How is the Spectrum app? What channels can I expect to get in HD/SD? I'd like to be prepared for the changes that will come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
I don't have anything to add, other than to note that I would be in the same boat as you if I lived in a different part of Columbus.

Are you fortunate enough that there are other providers in your area? AT&T is rolling out new fiber (Gigapower) in a bunch of new cities this year. Assuming that there is other competition it should be fine.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't live in a location that U-verse supplies.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Prepare to get tons of advertising disguised as IMPORTANT MESSAGE in security envelopes if you don't have all their services, OP.

ioneye
Apr 24, 2008
I live at an Air Force base with Charter, and it loving owns. No data caps, 120Mb speeds, and Charter spectrum is pretty awesome. 20+ Channels with HBO go for only an extra $20 for the package.

Best ISP I've had so far.

Edit: Don't have cable, just internet I guess.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Charter apparently has cleaned up its act quite a bit since 5 years ago everyone I knew in the St. Louis MO area loving hated it. I'm sure a lot of it was competition but good for them I suppose.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I moved a few months ago and had no decent options other that Charter. It's been great so far and they are just increasing the monthly cap from 300GB to 1TB.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Charter has garbage customer service and charges a bit too much. And I get about 3 "IMPORTANT INFORMATION INSIDE" letter a month informing me that for an extra $15 per month I could have cable and a lan phone. But they are also the most constant and fastest internet in my area.

As long as I can watch hd netflix while playing online games and my wife is on Facebook without slow down I'm pretty happy with the service.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slap me silly posted:

I moved a few months ago and had no decent options other that Charter. It's been great so far and they are just increasing the monthly cap from 300GB to 1TB.

I wasn't even aware that Charter had a data cap. I use a lot of monthly bandwidth and I've experienced 0 slowdowns/calls/extra charges. I can't speak for the tv/phone portions of Charter, but Charter internet has been amazing compared to my previous experiences with Comcast/AT&T. In the past 20 months I've experienced 0 slow downs, 0 down time, and I get the service I was offered. I'm pretty happy.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I've had a great experience with Charter, though I do setup my account as a business account which gets you instant customer support and there is no price difference at all.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

carry on then posted:

Prepare to get tons of advertising disguised as IMPORTANT MESSAGE in security envelopes if you don't have all their services, OP.
TWC already does this so I'm sure it'll be a smooth transition.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

keykey posted:

I wasn't even aware that Charter had a data cap. I use a lot of monthly bandwidth and I've experienced 0 slowdowns/calls/extra charges. I can't speak for the tv/phone portions of Charter, but Charter internet has been amazing compared to my previous experiences with Comcast/AT&T. In the past 20 months I've experienced 0 slow downs, 0 down time, and I get the service I was offered. I'm pretty happy.

I don't believe data caps are rolled everywhere... yet.. I am fairly certain comcast has data caps in like north carolina or something from what I recall reading, so likely other providers are testing the waters in a few markets to see what will happen.

I have nothing else of value to add.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
I used to work for Charter then quit to travel the world. Sometimes the work is done by people who give a poo poo, sometimes by contractors. Sometimes you get a time slot on Friday and we all want to go home.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I had to get Charter when I moved to Georgia last year. I'm not really impressed. I've straight up lost my connection on a weekly basis which is loving annoying and I do get those drat envelopes with all the offers since I only pay for internet. Also I get random phone calls a lot. I always look up the number on google and it always say it's Charter calling to convince me to pay for cable and a line.

I had Comcast before and I hate to say I preferred them more.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
While all this talk about their internet services is interesting, I made this thread to be about their cable TV service. For example, if I have the Gold package, would I automatically get all the premium channels (HBO, Showtime), or are those separate orders? Charter's website doesn't make this completely clear.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CaptainYesterday posted:

While all this talk about their internet services is interesting, I made this thread to be about their cable TV service. For example, if I have the Gold package, would I automatically get all the premium channels (HBO, Showtime), or are those separate orders? Charter's website doesn't make this completely clear.

Silver includes a few of the most popular premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.)

Gold adds a bunch of sports channels, plus more premium channels like Starz.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

biznatchio posted:

Silver includes a few of the most popular premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.)

Gold adds a bunch of sports channels, plus more premium channels like Starz.

Ah, that's what I thought. See, the main reason I haven't cut the cord is because of sports. As long as NFL RedZone is tied to cable, I'm going to foot the bill - everything else is just gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
UPDATE: I now get NHL Network, so I'd say my cable TV experience has improved.

• Locked thread