Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I guess I could have stretched this out to two episodes, but I think everything flows a bit better as a single video because the second level takes place immediately after the first, like, maybe ten minutes later as opposed to days or weeks or years between each previous mission. There's plenty to say about the ending of this game, it's one of the most brutal slugfests in the game and while it can be difficult, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. If you just pick your spots and push forward, even by slow degrees, it's totally doable on normal difficulty. Those taking this mission on with a higher difficulty settings are masochists, though. Nearly every enemy is armed with a rocket launcher or a full auto weapon, you have fewer allies than usual to absorb some rounds for you and the enemy AI seems more keyed in on you in particular than normal. Thankfully, the STG is in the regular weapon rotation in the last level and that makes things much easier. You don't realize how much you miss assault rifles until you spend most of a game without them. In CoD games most every non-shotgun has infinite range, weapons just do less damage at set distances. This has advantages, you can use an SMG for almost all of the campaign like it's a rifle, but the damage drop off is pretty severe and you may end up mag dumping if you can't hit upper torso or headshots with regularity. I feel like some of that is trivialized when you play on PC and don't have to fight snap-on aiming to hit someone in the face from a half mile away instead of auto locking on some guy ten feet from you looking the other way. I felt the same way about CoD 4 as well. It feels like MW and WaW were more designed around what would be acceptable for console controls rather than with KB+M in mind. I don't want to start a console war over that sort of thing, but it's just how I end up feeling while playing this.

Next up, we have more MW2 multiplayer videos before the thread shuts down, so we're not quite done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
This goddamn level is what stopped my Veteran run cold. I never could get past the section where you advance on the Reichstag and disable the artillery. Comparatively, I found One Shot, One Kill and No Fighting in the War Room to be leaps and bounds easier to do, and a lot of people seem to struggle with those.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Auto-aim and snap-to aiming are a mixed bag for me in the console versions of these games. Singleplayer is what they're really made for, when there's at least twice as many bad guys on-screen at once and you need to be able to switch between them quickly because they're probably all going to explicitly gang up on you (rather than just feeling like they are in multiplayer).

Multiplayer is where autoaim has hosed me over more often than it's helped. It's not so much autoaim as it is decreasing the sensitivity when someone is near your crosshair, which is nice for making sure you actually get the sight on the target rather than overshooting but also has all sorts of potential for screwing up your aiming because the sensitivity suddenly changed for what appeared to be no reason, or it changed and kept you from keeping your aim on a moving target unless you release the ADS button. For me mouse control is easier to completely shift my heading in a flash, but I'm not really noticeably better at actual precision aiming (even with having an adjustable DPI on my current mouse).

On the subject of Black Ops 3 as mentioned during the credits: late in the MW2 recording session Lazyfire brought it up, and I mentioned that I might be able to upgrade to come along for that (he didn't exactly say at that point that he was going to LP it as far as I remember, but I love co-op so I'd be coming along even if he wasn't going to). Long story short we can change "might" to "almost definitely will" in the next week or so.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oof, I definitely remember this last bit of the Russian campaign. Even with a few friends along in co-op, it was still absolutely brutal. The part that most stuck in my mind was the stairs with columns outside; that was a real slog. Pretty sure one of my friends managed to get crushed by that falling column, too.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

And here's where the night really should have started. First we get Karachi, one of the best examples of Verticallity in the game and Afghan, the map where snipers crowd either the ledge shooting everyone or the pillboxes shooting everyone.

For those of you who don't know the CoD memes at this point, Verticallity was one of the terms that came about during MW2's heyday to describe the change to the multiplayer map design philosophy from MW1. The original MW was largely flat with most of the higher level viewing areas being more windows than platforms. Yes, there are plenty of exceptions, like Pipeline or that ship map that I can't remember the name of. For the most part, though, there wasn't a ton of wide open space above the base level of the map. MW2 changed that by opening up roofs, platforms, staircases and blowing out walls around windows on many maps. Additionally, you have maps like Skidrow with holes in the floor or ceilings that allowed players to shoot at each other on different levels. You still have plenty of windows and such, but the game really did change how the second and third levels of maps were designed.

Some people loved this, it opened up more space on the map for angles and sightlines while also making it slightly more difficult to "window camp" some areas with near perfect cover. Other players hated it because it meant far more space where enemies could be waiting for you and catch you unawares. Add to that the fact that some items in the levels, like plant leaves, were somehow bulletproof and that they appeared on a few maps on roofs...people weren't happy. Realistically, the Verticallity change, whether you like it or not, was almost necessary for changing how killstreaks worked. Who wants to run a high level killstreak if the other team has plenty of viable places to hide completely? What's the use of an AC-130 if someone can just stand back from the window they are in and plink away at your team the entire time? The same goes for the helicopters and things like the stealth bomber as well. The interesting thing was that this not only gave the team with the active killstreak an advantage, it also gave greater incentive and opportunity to the other team for shooting the killstreak down. With UAVs now being an active part of the levels the increase in high altitude wide open spaces meant there was a better view of the sky available, which meant it was easier to spot and down killstreaks.

Love it or hate it, verticallity became a very important part of the CoD franchise.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So let's face it, hackers are part of this game on both the consoles and PC, but on PC they were more common because the game files themselves are hilariously outdated. Modifications that worked in CoD 1 still work in this game and Punkbuster is essentially helpless against them/wasn't really a factor in MW2 anyway. We got pulled into a match on Rust, an exploit that launched before the game even did almost a decade after release.

MW2, however, is also one of the most grievable FPS around simply because of one tool: the Riot Shield. Yes, a simple segment of bullet proof plastic can break this game wide open if you know what to do. The RS can absorb rounds from the harrier and the various non-attack chopper helicopters. The RS can trap teammates and enemies alike in bad spots because of the weird geometry around it and when set with the right perks you can go on a monster killstreak with the thing despite it needing two hits to kill someone. When you have a secondary out the RS sits on your back and absorbs at least some rounds coming from that direction. Whoever added the thing to the game deserves a medal and a slap to the face because it's so clearly broken. Yes, there are very, very effective ways around it. Explosives, for example, are pretty good, or just rushing past the person with the shield and stabbing them. However, a smart RS person will just lay back, let the enemies shoot at them and rack up points when their teammates end up killing them.

The RS also makes it super easy to counter the "snap to head" hacks a number of players run. These are pretty simple aimbots we've come to expect in most multiplayer FPS games on PC, but you'll see in these videos they are easy to detect just due to how fast and effective they are. The RS is perfect to stop this sort of thing because if you just know where the guy is you'll be able to draw their fire almost endlessly, just sit there and take the bullets, or better yet, walk up to them and throw a knife into them and really piss them off. They are more or less helpless and it's the easiest/best way to generate some chat rage.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
The great thing about that direct-impact kill I made with a stolen grenade launcher is that that wasn't the only time I managed it that night.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have even more of these and am holding out on everyone just to make this thread run longer or something. I really meant to post these in like, consecutive days, but the Steam Sale provided me Stardew Valley and I'm almost through winter of my first year after only playing it four times because I can't bring myself to turn it off. Please send help/food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Things have been busy lately. These were edited and ready to upload for two weeks or more at this point and I just kept either getting distracted or working way later than I expected to and running out of time. I feel like the Hackers episodes are going to be the highpoints of this series simply because breaking hackers over your knee by using the riot shield is never not funny, but I had fun with the rest of the games even if I was starting to get a bit more tired than I would like to admit.

• Locked thread