Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
Recently Austin had an election that was primarily about whether Uber and Lyft should be required to fingerprint their drivers. Their background checks have proven safer than the ones they were being told to replace them with, and they spent $9 million trying to convince Austin to pass a bill removing those regulations, primarily through junk mail. As the election got near, they said they'd leave Austin if the regulation passed. That, combined with the fact that Uber and Lyft are really unsympathetic companies anyway, was enough to where the voting public sided against them and voted to keep the regulations around. Uber and Lyft aren't in Austin anymore but hopefully they'll come back soon. In the meanwhile, a new ridesharing company named GetMe with a secret CEO is starting to offer rides here.

What people haven't seen is that the story about Uber and Lyft "threatening to leave Austin" was tried out in October and December as well, which lines up very nicely with GetMe's big press pushes:

http://getme.com/media

Councilwoman Ann Kitchen seems to be responsible for the first attempt at passing fingerprinting regulations, as you can see in this news article from October, when GetMe started its food delivery service in Austin. This article used to be titled "Austin to discuss whether Uber, Lyft should face same rules as cabs." You'll see it happen a lot: They post a news article, it gets picked up by news aggregators, and they change the article, adding in quotes from city council members.

Austin committee calls for new fees, fingerprint checks for Uber, Lyft posted:

“To threaten to leave, simply because we are trying to protect public safety, cannot be my deciding factor,” Kitchen said. “There are other transportation network companies, and they will be here.”*

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/austin-to-discuss-whether-uber-lyft-should-face-sa/nnxPg

That's been the narrative all three times. Uber and Lyft "threaten to leave," fingerprint background checks are a matter of public safety, other ridesharing companies will fill in the gaps. Here's a more blatant example from December 14, the day before GetMe started its ridesharing service in Austin.

Memo: Austin recommends fingerprint background checks for all rideshares posted:

(Updated Dec 14th) Also a new Transportation Network Company (TNC) now identified as Get Me has secured an agreement with the City of Austin and has expressed it does not oppose the recommended regulations, and plans to launch Dec 15th, according to a release.

In the Get Me release, Austin City Council Member Sherri Gallo stated, “I am excited to welcome Get Me… (which) appears to be company which respects our Austin community values of ensuring safety for both riders and the public.”

Even though any final vote to change city regulations is still days away, Gallo’s statement continues, “Get Me is willing to comply with city regulations and fully participate in the city’s process of vetting drivers through fingerprinting.”

Get Me’s Facebook page lists a total of eight cities where it operates (Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Austin) or where it plans to in early 2016 (San Antonio, Atlanta, Portland and Phoenix). The company also features a quirky marketing campaign for its online delivery service, hashtag #whatsyoursos

If Uber and Lyft were to leave Austin, as each has indicated should the fingerprint rule pass this week, other TNCs could tap into a pool of close to 15,000 drivers. Uber boasts 10,000 in Austin, according to a company spokesperson.

Houston has had fingerprint-based criminal background checks for TNCs for more than a year, and its market is currently served by Uber which was an early adopter in the city.

The memo from Robert Spillar, the city’s transportation director, addressed to the mayor and city council, states fingerprint background checks should go through a national database, mirroring the process for taxi-limo and pedicab operators.

The document cites Houston as an example of a city already requiring this measure.

In November, the city’s mobility committee voted to consider additional amendments to govern operations of the ride-sharing companies.

http://kxan.com/2015/12/11/city-recommends-fingerprint-background-checks-for-tnc-drivers/

Here's another article from Dec 14, which is full of quotes telling you how to feel.

Get Me launches rides in Austin as Uber, Lyft threaten to leave, Dec 14 posted:

"We're excited to be here. We support the on demand driver network and we're here to stay," says Jonathan Laramy, co-founder and chief experience operator.

Since October, Get Me focused on Austin deliveries, but now they're adding rides to the mix and they're ready to play by the city's rules.

"Why wouldn't you --as long as it's not cost prohibitive and an easy process-- want the safest possible route for your on demand driver?" he says. Get Me says they'd like their drivers to be able to work for all three companies, but if Uber and Lyft pull out of Austin, Get Me does have an on-boarding plan in place for drivers without a company to work for.

"We're not leaving. We're here and we welcome people to be a part of the Get Me platform," Laramy says.

http://keyetv.com/news/local/get-me-launches-rides-in-austin-as-uber-lyft-threaten-to-leave

The local paper's election day article went through 4 headlines, according to this one site.
"Election day voting light so far on Austin's prop 1"
"Democratic political consultant David Butts said Uber wanted to make an example to the nation with Austin but failed"
"Austin voters decisively rejected Uber and Lyft’s $8.6 million bid to overturn fingerprinting"
"Prop. 1 goes down as activist proclaims: ‘Austin made Uber an example’"

https://muckrack.com/link/z4sV3/election-day-voting-light-so-far-on-austins-prop-1

There's a lot more here, this is just one example of a particularly blatant rhetorical device the local news used to manipulate the outcome of the election. There are a couple more examples in this timeline of Uber and Lyft's contributions to their PAC, Ridesharing Works for Austin, according to offhanded mentions by the Statesman, which is its own special brand of terrible. But that's another post.

http://goo.gl/RGajcy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

it is posted:

Their background checks have proven safer than the ones they were being told to replace them with,

Can you provide some background or supporting documentation for this claim?

I never heard Uber make a reasoned argument as to why the city's requirements were unreasonable or untenable, beyond "we don't want to." But it's possible that the information sources I frequent did not present Uber's side of the argument fairly.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Number_6 posted:

I never heard Uber make a reasoned argument as to why the city's requirements were unreasonable or untenable, beyond "we don't want to." But it's possible that the information sources I frequent did not present Uber's side of the argument fairly.

I'm about to write on the Statesman's abuse of statistics, but you're right, this does require some justification:

Story showing that 11.7% of people who passed name-based background checks (like Uber and Lyft use) failed fingerprint background checks (like the ones they'll be required to use) in some national survey:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/safety-the-key-as-austin-city-council-takes-on-rid/npmBD/

Story showing that a third of cab drivers who applied to drive for Uber failed their background check:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/transportation/prop-1-ad-on-third-of-austin-cabbies-gives-only-a-/nrGDx/

He spins it like Uber is trying to mislead Austin with their statistics, it's great. Really, this is just self-selection bias; if all cab drivers applied to Uber the actual rejection rate would probably be higher. Only the cab drivers who think they have a shot are going to bother.

it is fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 24, 2016

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
On February 12, GetMe sent out a carbon-copy email to 500 people, exposing their email addresses (and also has a hilarious onboarding process):

GetME disaster – email blast to 500 Austin TX drivers posted:

Today, GetMe sends out a carbon copy email to over 500 Austin TX drivers! They didn’t hide any of the email addresses! It may have been more than 500 emails. Gmail only allowed me to see the first 500.

The thread of replies from the drivers has been hilarious. Ranging from people offering to sue GetMe, to people trying to sell identity theft protection, or promote other apps. Needless to say a lot of drivers have replied to ALL asking to be removed. I imagine dozens (or hundreds) more replying in private.

But let’s also go back to their original email. This is apparently the GetMe onboarding process:

I will be onboarding Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm by the airport right behind the shell gas station ,PLEASE DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR INSURANCE,BANKING INFO AND DRIVERS LICENCE.

LOOK FOR THE GETME CAR . BLACK MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER.
That’s a pretty sketchy way to do business. Let’s overlook the bad grammar and using all caps. We’re supposed to meet at the airport by the Shell gas station? This is an unofficial driver spot to wait for airport pickups. (The airport is geofenced.) This isn’t even an area with any real parking other than street parking. There is no office for GetMe in town. That is pretty normal for TNCs. They open a city in temporary space before leasing an office. At least before Uber opened an office they rented meeting rooms at hotels. GetMe meets in a parking lot behind a gas station. You’re also asked to provide your insurance and drivers license which is pretty normal to get approved to drive. However my banking information? Why isn’t this done digitally over a secure SSL connection? How can I know that this guy is going to handle my banking information properly? This guy can’t even send out a blind carbon copy email. How do we trust that he won’t be sending our banking information out to other people “accidentally?”

http://rideshareacademy.com/getme-disaster-austin-tx/

None of the local news outlets reported on that story. Not the Statesman, not KEYE, not KXAN, not KVUE, none of them. You know what was reported on 2/12?

"Austin headed to expensive, consuming ride-hailing campaign"

A news article, which is not labeled an opinion piece posted:

What lies ahead over the next 12 weeks promises to be costly, emotional and consuming.

“I hate for there to be an election,” Adler said as the council decision neared Thursday. Adler nonetheless voted against adopting the ordinance from the petition drive, thus forcing that election. “It’s going to be expensive. And it’s going to suck a lot of air out of our universe for the next three months.”

Uber and Lyft, deep-pocketed and looking to maintain their business position in Austin, will likely spend freely in support of the petition ordinance, political consultants said Friday. And that ordinance’s opponents, who some said this week would be fighting for no less than the sovereignty of Austin city government, will have passion on their side.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/austin-headed-to-expensive-consuming-ride-hailing-/nqPbn/

Here, Ben Wear introduces all the major players and explains what's at stake. The Statesman is a really interesting study, because they're a lot more obvious about the storyline. A 4-week subscription to the Statesman online for a dollar is the best possible entertainment for your value. The timeline in the last post should help you organize it a bit

https://www.statesman.com/flist/news/local/uber-and-lyft-austin/fCPY/

I was gonna do a breakdown of all of these, but I"m gonna just point out some recurring themes in approximately chronological order and let you go explore. Most of these appear multiple times. The timeline in the last post should help you organize it temporally a little bit.

Uber and Lyft threaten to leave
Ann Kitchen is there
City council proposes a solution
Mayor Adler proposes a solution
This won't hurt Austin's bid to a $60,000,000 Smart City grant
This may be about whether Uber and Lyft's drivers are employees
Junk mail is apparently the worst thing in the world
Uber and Lyft have spent $2.2 million dollars
Uber and Lyft have spent more than Mayor Adler did on his $1.2 million mayoral bid
Uber and Lyft have spent $8.1 million dollars
If Uber and Lyft make good on their threats to leave Austin GetMe is still there
Uber and Lyft have spent $8.6 million dollars
The election is May 7
Uber and Lyft do bad things completely unrelated to fingerprint background checks
The election will have cost taxpayers $800,000
Fingerprint background checks only cost $25
Uber and Lyft won't be FORCED to leave Austin
Austin defeated Uber and Lyft
Out-of-work Uber and Lyft drivers
Mayor Adler inviting Uber and Lyft back to the table

Also you'll see them use the word "ride-hailing." Their explanation, according to this non-opinion news article, is the following:

Wear: Don't mess up your vote! Here's what Uber, Lyft ballot question means posted:

And all of this has to do with Transportation Network Companies, which regular readers of the Statesman might recognize as ride-hailing companies like Uber and Lyft. But others might know them by the companies’ preferred descriptor: ride-sharing. We don’t use that term here because sharing implies altruism, something given rather than something you have to pay to get. Like a ride with Uber or Lyft. But that’s another story.

He's replacing the common term with a less familiar one to make a statement about Uber and Lyft being buttholes. That reads confusingly and is not very neutral. And just a couple paragraphs earlier: he wrote this:

quote:

Yes, there are a few problems there. I teach writing over at Austin Community College, and if one of my students turned that in, the red pen would get a workout. Clarity, dear writer — above all else, clarity.

There ARE quite a few problems there! I'm sure you can figure them all out though.

But anyway, I think the paper's prohibition against the term ridesharing was real. Here's an article from months ago that was updated in early October, about when GetMe started doing food deliveries in Austin. Look at the URL, then look at the actual headline, then realize you're reading an ad for an app:

http://www.statesman.com/news/business/austin-a-hub-for-tech-based-ridesharing-delivery-s/nnsM4/

And an opinion piece from former mayor Lee Leffingwell, the chair of Ridesharing Works for Austin. It was updated after the fact, and he never actually says "ridesharing" except for once now. Hm. (I'm suggesting that the article was edited soon after it was posted to replace "ridesharing" with "ride-hailing" and there's no way he calls it that and the editor missed one)

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/opinion/leffingwell-vote-for-prop-1-to-keep-ride-hailing-i/nq8Lw/

It's pretty neat how effective this was at swaying public opinion. Just keep exposing people to talking points and eventually they'll buy them.

it is fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 24, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
You should write a scathing op-ed.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Poor Uber, being bullied by the big mean government.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i really, truly do not give a poo poo about the city of austin chasing uber and lyft away with regulations. gently caress uber, and gently caress lyft

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Number_6 posted:

No, don't you see, the less information you have about someone before you do a background check, the more accurate it'll be because you won't get conflicting information!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I have a hard time feeling sympathetic to anyone in this matter. Just looks like business as usual for everything else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Uber is convenient and inexpensive, but that's because they are losing money trying to destroy other driver services who don't rely on ripping off their contractors and skirting regulations. I hope more cities chase them out, then I hope they fail.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rolling over and using an incorrect term like "ride-sharing company" with no scrutiny isn't neutral either. Leffingwell got a huge check from RWA btw

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

it is posted:

On February 12, GetMe sent out a carbon-copy email to 500 people, exposing their email addresses (and also has a hilarious onboarding process):

http://rideshareacademy.com/getme-disaster-austin-tx/

None of the local news outlets reported on that story. Not the Statesman, not KEYE, not KXAN, not KVUE, none of them. You know what was reported on 2/12?

"Austin headed to expensive, consuming ride-hailing campaign"

it turns out that a lovely email CC is not news, OP

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

it is posted:

He's replacing the common term with a less familiar one to make a statement about Uber and Lyft being buttholes. That reads confusingly and is not very neutral. And just a couple paragraphs earlier: he wrote this:

How dare someone replace an intentionally deceptive silicon valley catchphrase with more accurate language! I share the same outrage as your employer OP.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Is Uber planning to phase out its lobbyists as well, transitioning to a cadre of drivers so abject in their submission as to defend Uber tirelessly, for no compensation?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

SedanChair posted:

Is Uber planning to phase out its lobbyists as well, transitioning to a cadre of drivers so abject in their submission as to defend Uber tirelessly, for no compensation?

Someone must altruistically work to save the rest of the nation from Big GetMe™

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

archangelwar posted:

Someone must altruistically work to save the rest of the nation from Big GetMe™

I'm struggling to realize the best metaphor to describe the relationship between objectivist financiers and those who defend them out of some sense of philosophical integrity. Should I go with pets, or cattle?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

SedanChair posted:

I'm struggling to realize the best metaphor to describe the relationship between objectivist financiers and those who defend them out of some sense of philosophical integrity. Should I go with pets, or cattle?

Pretty sure they already use the term 'serfs'

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

it is posted:

He spins it like Uber is trying to mislead Austin with their statistics, it's great. Really, this is just self-selection bias; if all cab drivers applied to Uber the actual rejection rate would probably be higher. Only the cab drivers who think they have a shot are going to bother.

"Uber releasing their hiring statistics on the ~5% of Austin cab drivers who applied in the middle of a contentious political issue that would affect their ability to operate in the city is just proof that their background checks are way more stringent and that most cab drivers wouldn't cut it with them."
-a well informed person who is most certainly not a shill.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Please take this to the Fall of the Unicorns thread or the TXPOL thread where we can laugh at you like the idiot you are without having to have another thread making GBS threads up the forums.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

archangelwar posted:

How dare someone replace an intentionally deceptive silicon valley catchphrase with more accurate language! I share the same outrage as your employer OP.

In general the term "Sharing Economy" seems dumb as hell. These people aren't sharing*; they're making economic transactions with one another. A professor of mine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arun_Sundararajan) from undergrad is apparently a well-known researcher/speaker about this topic and is always posting stuff on his Facebook about how the "Sharing Economy" is this huge deal that will forever change the way most people are employed and do business. I think this is really dumb because most jobs that our society needs to function can't be translated into a "Sharing Economy" type job. To his credit, he does take a "truth is in the middle" approach where he admits there are significant potential downsides to companies with this business model becoming more prevalent (like more employees being "contractors" and not having the same benefits as direct employees).

This isn't to say that stuff like AirBnb and Uber aren't worth researching. It IS interesting how the prevalence of technology like smart phones enables people to far more easily conduct these person-to-person transactions. But it sure as hell isn't some revolutionary thing.

* Actually I guess this could be considered technically wrong, since I don't think the definition for "sharing" necessitates that the person isn't getting paid for it. But it's still obviously misleading, and using that definition pretty much any business that rents a product/service is "sharing" it.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I don't think there's a point in having a new thread about this. We already have one about Unicorns like Uber and one about techbros which also discusses Uber.

• Locked thread