Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Problem description: As brief as I can!

The laptop worked fine for about 18 months until one evening it suddenly turned itself off completely. Not a shut down, it went from on to totally dead in a split second, similar to an overheating laptop but definitely not overheated. Turned it back on and it ran fine for the rest of the evening. Got home from work the next day and switched it on, it ran for an hour before once again losing all power and stopping dead. Hit the power button, this time it would start to boot for about 1 second before once again going dead. Continued trying to start it with various combinations of battery in/out, charger in/out, most of the time it lay there totally dead, sometimes it would suddenly start but then once again cut out almost immediately. Eventually even that stopped, now the thing is completely dead.

Attempted fixes: Stripped the laptop down to check any loose wiring or obvious problems, none that I could see. I got the charger tested and confirmed it to be faulty, sourced a new one and plugged it in but it made no difference. I also sourced a new charger port, but I then tested voltage where the power lead connects to a circuit board and it had the proper 20 volts there, so it is getting power to that point at least. I haven't changed the battery, but it had been charging fine up until the failure and I believe this model should run with battery disconnected anyway?

Recent changes: None, hadn't upgraded to windows 10 or changed anything really, no games or anything downloaded in months.

Operating system: Windows 8, think its 32 bit but can't start it to check.

System specs: Lenovo G50-70, I5 processor, 8GB ram, integrated graphics, factory standard model really, I've never modified it in any way.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any suggestions on where to check next would really be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bucketybuck posted:

Any suggestions on where to check next would really be appreciated!

Have you tried taking RAM out or trying new RAM? Sometimes dead RAM can prevent a POST.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Zogo posted:

Have you tried taking RAM out or trying new RAM? Sometimes dead RAM can prevent a POST.

I've taken out both RAM chips, tried starting without them and with various combinations of them but it made no difference.

This seems more like a power issue, it doesn't get as far as a POST and the laptop seems for all the world to have no power. But the charger is working and I do have the correct voltage from the power port, I just don't know where to test beyond that. There are 2 small LED's on the casing that should light up with power, one for the charger and one for battery, but they don't light up now. They did after the initial fault when the laptop was trying but failing to boot but now they show nothing.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try shutting down the laptop, removing AC plug and battery and then holding down the power button for thirty seconds. Then reattach the stuff and see if anything is different.

• Locked thread